Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

roland analoge SE-02 & FA-07 announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
I don't know why everyone is complaining- you all asked for this...

Go ahead and jump all over me for this post: I can take it, but you go ahead and enjoy that FA07, too, k?

..Joe

Speak for yourself.

I've been asking for desktop format workstations, or even modular workstation designs forever. Closest I'm aware of in the current market is the Integra-7, which is basically a sound module. So what the hell, they aren't listening to me.

I actually wanted to buy a microstation (because I don't worship with the August Cult of MacroKeys) and because it's more compact while being quite capable - but they stopped even selling those in the USA because ... reasons. I'm sure that there were reasons.

And the FA-07? I'll enjoy the hell out of it by voting with my wallet and buying something else. An Integra-7. Or a Virus. Or a freaking Streichfett. Just not an FA-07.
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think players are voting with their wallets and a synth without AT isn't a big deal. Would players like to have AT? Sure but not bad enough they are willing to pay more and end up with a heavier board. Far as I can tell, the FA is a success. I see that thing on stages much more often than Kronos or Montage.

Fact is, most players use more than 1 board. FA receives AT and for those instances you need to put that little vibrato on your lead line, you play it from another board.

The industry is moving to lower cost & lightweight yet very capable synthesizers. That's why there is no next gen Kronos. They are going to milk that thing for all it's worth until they can figure out how to get costs and weight down.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
I don't know why everyone is complaining- you all asked for this...

- you asked for this when you didn't complain about 4-octave keyboards;

There are reasons I bitch about the dearth of AT, about 4-octave keyboards, about pretty much everything I bitch about: you keep buying limited, gelded equipment, then that's all they're going to make, because you're willing to keep them in business when they do that.

Go ahead and jump all over me for this post: I can take it, but you go ahead and enjoy that FA07, too, k?

..Joe

I'm confused. When I look at the pretty pictures of the FA series keyboards, I don't see a four octave keyboard in the bunch.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused about the Roland marketing.

Quoting from their web site:

FA-08 wrote:
If you’re serious about piano sounds, the FA-08 is the perfect choice. Its 88-note, weighted-action Ivory Feel-G keyboard is ideally suited for pulling every expressive nuance from the authentic onboard acoustic and electric pianos.

FA-07 wrote:
If you need to command a complex keyboard setup with multiple splits or zones, the 76-note FA-07 and its semi-weighted, velocity-sensitive keyboard is a great option.

This sounds like the FA-08 does NOT have the ability to create multiple splits or zones. And that the FA-07 doesn't have the piano sounds of the FA-08.

I find it hard to believe that that's correct. I hope it's just poor wording on the part of whoever wrote the web page. Wouldn't the selling point of the FA-07 be that it has the same capabilities of the FA-08 in a smaller and lighter package with faster keys? Or are the two keyboards really that different?

Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no difference in functionality between the 07 and 08.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excluding the keybeds, all the FAs are exactly the same - absolutely no difference in sounds or capabilities.

Also there is AT on the FA series - but you need an AT controller to actuate (fine if you have such a thing - not so fine if you don't!).
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Excluding the keybeds, all the FAs are exactly the same - absolutely no difference in sounds or capabilities.

Also there is AT on the FA series - but you need an AT controller to actuate (fine if you have such a thing - not so fine if you don't!).

To be fair, that's also true of the Kross and Krome, and Kronos LS as I understand it, which is one of the reasons that I am an advocate for desktop format workstations.

If I get a KDJ-ONE, I will probably attach an aftertouch-capable USB controller to it for awesome sound control.

If KORG had made the KDJ-ONE, what would it look like? The obvious answer is: "black and shiny" but I think that it would be an interesting device.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
which is one of the reasons that I am an advocate for desktop format workstations.

Desktop format workstations still take up a lot of room. Yes, you'll save money on the keyboard (which is a factor for a home studio), but I'd rather go for a rack mount workstation. You still save money on the keyboard, but you don't end up covering up table tops with workstations and modules. Some people like to eat on their dining room tables.

(Of course, this does require that they can be operated remotely via computer.)

(Hey, if you've got two identical workstation modules, can you control them separately via computer? Or do they get confused as to which module is being tweaked?)

Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
Desktop format workstations still take up a lot of room. Yes, you'll save money on the keyboard (which is a factor for a home studio), but I'd rather go for a rack mount workstation. You still save money on the keyboard, but you don't end up covering up table tops with workstations and modules. Some people like to eat on their dining room tables.

Just build a tray for desktop modules that fits on a keyboard stand. Easy, practical, adaptable.

Quote:

(Hey, if you've got two identical workstation modules, can you control them separately via computer? Or do they get confused as to which module is being tweaked?)

As long as your DAW is smart enough to differentiate ports, it should work fine. If you have a serious sequencer, such as an MPC X, you should be able to as well.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a load of Crap, i don't understand what is SE doing with them,
trying to ruin one of the best EURORACK reputation?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself, I like the SE-02. I like the sounds and the price point.

Would I buy one? Can't say. I just don't know.

Do I need it? Nope. Do I want it. Maybe.

Can I get it's sounds from either my Kronos or King Korg. Probably.

'nuff said.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
Koekepan wrote:
which is one of the reasons that I am an advocate for desktop format workstations.

Me personally I love the desktop format(depending on the synth) because it's also the most ideal control surface and interface for the synth itself. Also, considering it would more likely use NRPN it would offer much more control and precision than a CC# from an external controller ever could.

A racked OB6 or Prophet 6 without all it's knobs/buttons/interface/displays wouldn't be nearly as fun/intuitive....nor would it look as beautiful!
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Fact is, most players use more than 1 board. FA receives AT and for those instances you need to put that little vibrato on your lead line, you play it from another board.

See, this is the problem- Players that haven't used AT are not aware of its capabilities, and then that ignorance leads to fewer keyboards with AT...

In case you're not aware, AT isn't only for "that little vibrato." How about opening up a filter to make the sound stand out during a cadence; how about altering one segment of the envelope so that the sound is less static; how about bringing in other forms of modulation so that you sound stands out; how about another, completely different sound, or adding a layered sound (with or without a different modulation) to completely change the timbre of the line?

There's so many things that AT can do, and the players that haven't learned it, are unaware of its features- they're limiting their musicianship in that manner.

..Joe
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an FA06 a while ago when they were worth the money.

I actually liked it for several reasons but these days I find Roland seem to "Create" & "Drop" their new gear.
The FA06/08 had a lot of potential - e.g. there are "reserved for future" areas on the keyboard and i had (wrongly) hoped that there was going to be a future.

Well it's taken them years to decide a 76-key model might sell and throw in a fairly minor OS update in the mix.

Very disappointing - seems to be a similar pattern with other newer Roland gear.

I own the Jupiter-80 and love it but even that is dying on promises from Roland - very excitingly they throw out great free libraries and even promote "....this is just volume 1...." etc - never to see volume 2 - so why do that?
They chuck it out there, fix a few bugs and that's it - then we get a newer model.
Yes, current build quality is cheap and plastic.

Darn it - I still like Roland --- why???

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Devnor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
I own the Jupiter-80 and love it but even that is dying on promises from Roland - very excitingly they throw out great free libraries and even promote "....this is just volume 1...." etc - never to see volume 2 - so why do that?

There are eleven different sound libraries for the JU80 on the axial site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: