Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Grandstage (Released)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Waves audio , MAXX mastering suite..
TC Hellicon vocaliser technollogy

Just to name 2 high end 3rd party products that are used by Korg Italy in their high end product PA4x...

Right... and those companies don't make arranger keyboards. So again, they're not giving their tech to their competition. Korg probably does not have the rights to, for example, put that TC Helicon tech into a standalone pedal that competes with TC Helicon's own units.

Bachus wrote:
If Korg would opt to use a high end Kawai keyboard for their high end synthesizer workstation keyboard, i dont see much competition for Kawais digital,piano's when compared to a Kronos type of workstation..
I dont think the problem is so much with Kawai, but more with Korg itsleves, they might actually believe the RH3 to be a truely high end keybed (as a non typical piano player, its something i can live with) on top of that the way Japan calculates their consumer prices, an expensive 3rd party keybed might rise their prices into the sky...

Right, that's basically what I said as well. A Kawai action in a Kronos could make some sense from Kawai's point of view (largely non-competitive product)... but Korg's perspective is probably that RH3 is just fine for the Kronos and it could not justify what would probably be a parts cost increase in using Kawai's board even if Kawai were willing.

But also... I suspect that if you put one of Kawai's better-than-RH3 actions into a Kronos, the Kronos would be even heavier than it is now.

Last edited by Scott on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
pink elefant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pink elefant wrote:
Bringing out a SV-2 with the Kronos a-pianos would have been the better idea IMO.

This addresses a lot of other complaints people had about the SV1, not just better pianos. Having only 8 Favorite locations, not being able to split/layer, having an awkward shape to carry or stack, no mod/pitch wheels... The seamless sound transition is a nice enhancement, too.[/quote]

Yes that´s absolut right! But besides the function the SV-1 has that sexy look and the Grandstage looks .... well that´s subjective. OK, that is not the most important criteria. It will sound great but it will not be that intuitive instrument, that many players hoped for. As always a compromise.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pink elefant wrote:
Akos Janca wrote:
pink elefant wrote:
and in terms of the stand ....... does anybody know what they smoke in Japan Shocked

Very Happy

For me, at first it was a bit surprising but I think I understand. An ideal stand should be 1.) strong and stable, 2.) comfortable for sitting or standing playing position with flexible height/angle settings, 3.) should be foldable and light for easy portability, 4.) should provide a place for an optional second board. 5.) And should look good (a question of taste, of course).

On the pictures it seems to be the one, not?

yes very functional, especially as a clothes rack Smile and - I do not have a truck to drive to my gigs.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy No, no, I really mean it. I think this stand is one of the few good solutions (but must be checked in person).

Additionally, Grandstage seems to be created for a certain segment of the market that wants something more than an SV-1 but less than a Kronos. I think, relatively speaking, this segment is not small and it is a clever decision from Korg.

Until now, SV-1 (or similar instrument) owners could buy an additional synth like the KingKorg, for example. Which makes a very nice combo anyway – I have both and like them much, the tubes are adorable – but this is not for everyone.

For the mentioned market segment Korg now issues a combined solution with a higher amount of advanced 'pianos and synths' plus new very comfortable functions. It is not easy to design a practically usable UI for this many possibilities but it seems they nailed it, certainly with compromises - for example, I miss the detailed settings from the SV-1 (and KingKorg) panel, and the tube because I found it very useful not only for Rhodes but for many other sounds, gently applied.

RH3 or RH2, it's a good question. RH2 is more comfortable for my hands and for my workstation purposes on OASYS. However, on SV-1 I like the RH3 and use as it is without bigger problems, but for me it's not perfect. (And honestly, neither is close enough to a 'flesh-and-blood' acoustic piano - if that's the goal at all. Wink )

So, for me Grandstage seems to be great concept and I think its success depends only on the price which shouldn't be too close to Kronos.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure this luke warm reception out for the grand stage cause that is what I'm sensing. I'm not thinking out loud in comparison to other keyboards although that will happen.

Here what I'm thinking what makes the grand stage a keyboard to fit in with other stage piano's I mean even the RD 2000 got more applause and it's specific target.

Maybe its one of these product that flourish a little later then its release date that might also happen its going to be tried out played the heck out from it for that ahaa moment comes for the stage piano crowd of course.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
xp50player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light being shed on the unknowns regarding the Grandstage will make it more compelling, such as the startup time relative to the Kronos, available storage for optional libraries and what libraries will be available. Are you sure there will be no editor?!

Right now, the specs don’t stand up to the RD-2000 as a piano and master controller: bitimbral to the RD’s 8 internal parts and 16 total parts, no master controller utility, no patch editing, no audio or MIDI recording/playback, fewer effects per part, ancient RH3 keybed with fewer sensors, no escapement, no wood sides (?whatever), no ivory/ebony feel.

The Grandstage has the portability advantage,with the 73 key model and wheels on top, saving length, and of course all the engines, some more sought after than others. However, Supernatural technology in the Roland encompasses several of what Korg calls separate engines.

Overall, I would rather have a new Kronos with all of these engines and have them fully editable, than the tease of a limited bitimbral stage piano with no patch editing.
Wsadj

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg, update our Kronos with those engines, even if we pay for it.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a GS at a local shop here in Seattle. Was very impressed with it. The overall feel is very solid but it's light in weight. Startup time is 40 seconds.

Most of the acoustic pianos are what we're familiar with on the Kronos, but I did like the new grand and upright, certainly some of the best Korg has done to date. I liked how the EP-1 Rhodes was dialed in. It sounded different than what I'm used to on the Kronos. The new clavinet samples sounded good, though I didn't notice any release samples. The German EP (assume Hohner Pianet of some sort) sounded more T than N. The new Vox and Farfisa sounded great. I really liked the Vox. These combined with the CX-3 makes organs an area with the GS stands apart from other stage pianos with their largely mediocre organs.

I was surprised by the number of string and brass sounds. Plenty from which to choose. And then the pads, synth leads and basses plus gtr and ele basses. Really a nice cross section of sounds. I don't know that I'd call it the "best of the Kronos" but still good quality stuff for the most part.

The DYNAMICS control seems to act as more of a velocity curve adjustment rather than a compressor. I liked it dialed back to maybe 11:00.

For people who view these stage pianos through the acoustic piano lens primarily with the other sounds a distant second, there are many other options which is good as there are strong preferences related to how these digital piano recreations are supposed to sound. But, the engines do make a difference and it's clear once you start going through the organs, the more extensively sampled instruments and the AL-1 sounds, that the GS is very strong across a broad range of sounds.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I espescially liked the Italian grand, i really love the sound of Fazioli.. i hope they bring it as an expansion for the Kronos in the near future, it would be well worth the investment.. maybe in a pack together with the other new piano and grandpiano sounds

Same goes for the Farfisa and Vox, but i highly doubt Korg will walk the route of adding new engines to the Kronos..
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
I espescially liked the Italian grand, i really love the sound of Fazioli.. i hope they bring it as an expansion for the Kronos in the near future, it would be well worth the investment.. maybe in a pack together with the other new piano and grandpiano sounds

Same goes for the Farfisa and Vox, but i highly doubt Korg will walk the route of adding new engines to the Kronos..

I like the Faz, too. I would buy that sample/EXs in a heartbeat.

Korgs pattern has been to include a new piano sample in a slightly improved Kronos, lets say a Kronos 3. I have zero inside info on any Korg plans.

Its also possible, that Korg does not want to distract from potential new product sales of the new Grandstage keyboard. Korg could decide to contain
the Faz and the Farfisa/Vox on the new board for some time, lets say 1 year.

That business decision would not surprise me.

I am not interested in the Grandstage ( i don't gig). I think its an excellent stage piano product. I believe its going to be a good seller.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to play one I am not a versed piano player so chances for me getting one is nil. But boy the key's are amazingly pleasant to play with. I had a little adjustment to get used to the menu structure but getting lost in this instrument for almost an hour in the shop well you'll get easily inspired by the sounds but I don't have to tell korgies that Very Happy.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
wma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roland fp-60 demo .. what's are your thoughts about sounds with respect to korg grand-stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o44hTQatMco
Geoff G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wonder whether there is a mistake in the list of acoustic pianos listed for the Grandstage.

Steinway Germany is in Hamburg and I haven't been able to find a piano manufacturer listed as based in Heidelberg.

Is it possible that the promo leaflet is in error?
pink elefant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you can loose your heart in good ol´Heidelberg you can find a famous castle and wonderful Pubs, but you can´t find a Steinway manufacture here.

greatings from Heidelberg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: