Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OS 2.0 why DirectStyles and DirectKBDSets bound in one SET?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bad_santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: OS 2.0 why DirectStyles and DirectKBDSets bound in one SET? Reply with quote

With the OS 1.24 it was possible to load the DirectStyles and DirectKeyboard sets from different sets and as well from one set. It was very usefull!!

With the OS update 2.0 it is always bound. When I select a different set for DirectStyles, my DirectKeyboardSet will change automatically Evil or Very Mad.

In addition, it is much difficult to achieve settings for DirectStyles in the Global Mode.....Sad

Korg, please let this settings as before !!!
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OS 2.0 why DirectStyles and DirectKBDSets bound in one S Reply with quote

bad_santa wrote:
With the OS 1.24 it was possible to load the DirectStyles and DirectKeyboard sets from different sets

AFAIK this was never possible in Pa4X , always the resources of the same SET (location) were displayed !
Correct me if I'm wrong !
The only thing that has been changed after OS 2 , is that direct set browser has been implemented in Global interface.
But if this is indeed the case , then merge 2 SETs in one just copying with your PC/Mac KEYBOARDSET or STYLE files from one to another !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the OS 1.24 it was possible to load the DirectStyles and DirectKeyboard sets from different sets and as well from one set. It was very usefull

You can certainly "load" them internally but you cannot access data from more than one Direct Access link - not possible as there is only one Direct Access reference (i.e. the SET you select - now in GLOBAL mode in V2)

Once you link to a SET on disk for DIRECT ACCESS it does NOT load these into the PA4X - it merely makes them available for you to use "as if" they were loaded but by using the Direct Access tabs on the screen - hence you can access the banks etc directly in the DA set on disk.
But these are NOT internally loaded hence you cannot back them up in Media mode with a "save all" like you would for backing up your internal data.

There has only ever been one single Direct Access link available in the PA4X

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
bad_santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OS 2.0 why DirectStyles and DirectKBDSets bound in one S Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
AFAIK this was never possible in Pa4X , always the resources of the same SET (location) were displayed !
Correct me if I'm wrong !

This "optimisation" about merging Styles and KeyboardSet Settings as one setting in Global Mode is stated in the German productpage for OS v2 Pa4X, but not mentioned in the US productpage for OS v2 Pa4X.
I have used the DirectStyles Mode for quick audition of StyleSets, but have always my Direct KBD-Sets intakt, now i loose my KBD-Sets if i change the Direct StyleSet ((
AntonySharmman wrote:

But if this is indeed the case , then merge 2 SETs in one just copying with your PC/Mac KEYBOARDSET or STYLE files from one to another !

Yes, in this case i always have to use PC/MAc to manage my KBD Settings Crying or Very sad , but .. then i can't use the new option for KBD-Set names, becouse the names are written in GBL-File and not directly in KBD-Set files, and there is no option to merge 2 GBL-files ... very unhandy. (((
bad_santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
There has only ever been one single Direct Access link available in the PA4X

Sure ? Smile

The trick was to have a SET with KEYBOARDSET directory and no STYLE directory as Direct KBD-SET... and to load for audition the style sets with no KEYBOARDSET (and no Performance) directory..

So it was possible to manage STyle Sets and Keyboard Sets separatly...
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep sure!!!

As I said, you can only have one Direct Access SET - I am trying to understand what you are saying but you are confusing the terms "loading" and "Direct access" - there still only ONE Direct access SET configuration possible.
There is only ONE link in the PA4X (in GLOBAL mode).

Nothing has changed in the OS other than the Direct Access link set-up moved to GLOBAL mode.

Perhaps, with respect, your statement:-
Quote:
With the OS 1.24 it was possible to load the DirectStyles and DirectKeyboard sets from different sets and as well from one set. It was very usefull!!
confuses the terminology
A linked Direct Access SET is not "loaded" but of course you CAN actually load it like any other SET if you want.

Pete Very Happy
bad_santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

A linked Direct Access SET is not "loaded" but of course you CAN actually load it like any other SET if you want.

yes, "linked to DirectSet" is more correctly expression ...

karmathanever wrote:
Nothing has changed in the OS other than the Direct Access link set-up moved to GLOBAL mode.

i have updated my PA4X to v2.0, so it is unpossible for me to demonstrate the old link referencies but here are the old manual s.923 citations:
Quote:

A Direct set of banks for the Styles, and one for the Keyboard Set Library, has to be selected before being used.
Open the Style Select or Keyboard Set Library Select window, depending on whether you want to create a Direct Style or Keyboard Set bank
Please note you can only have a single Direct set of banks for the Styles, and a single one for the Keyboard Set Library.

It was possible to link 2 different SETs. One for Styles and one for KeyboardSets. One could also link for Styles and for Keyboardsets to one SET, too.

Maybe someone, who doesn't update to the v.2.0 can check it ? )))
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will check this out when I'm next on my PA4X

Pete
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I beg your pardon!!! Sorry!!!

I had never realised that could be done in V1 of the OS.

I think Antony's suggestion solves the problem easily i.e. just merge the 2 SETs:-

1. Make a Copy of the "DirectStyles" set
2. Copy the KEYBOARD-SET folder from the "DirectKeyboard-set" SET into the copy.
3. Use the copy as your DA SET

Hmmm would agree it's a little inconvenient but would take less than 2 minutes.

(I guess that if you were wanting to "change" direct access a lot and need the 2 different SETs, then this might be inconvenient.)

Please also note:-
Page 912 in the PA4X V2 manual wrote:
Please note that you can only have a single Direct folder of Keyboard Sets, Styles, SongBook.

Cheers with apologies

Pete Very Happy
bad_santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

thx for the verification !

The workaround with merging of 2 SETs has the disadvantage that i can't use the new feature of named KBD-SETs and StyleSets in Direct Access. If i copy
KBD-SETs i lose names for KBD-SET Banks. If i copy the Style Directory i lose names for Styles Banks. Wink

I wish Korg would return the old KBD-Set settings, it was quicker and more flexible to manage Styles and KBD-Sets in different places.

Korg, please, do it ! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: