Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identify a Melody from Classical music?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sutekh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Identify a Melody from Classical music? Reply with quote

Is there any way to identify a piece of classical music... that actually works? Shazam, Soundhound, and Musipedia proved to be useless (the first two couldn't even identify Beethoven's 5th!)

I can't insert an image even though this forum says I can, so I'll spell it out in the key of C (I don't know what key it's really in):

C3 C3C3 G3 C4 C4C4 G3 C3 C3C3 G4 C4 Bb4

The numbers are the octaves of course. It's a famous classical fanfare, or march, or procession, and the melody is played on trunpet or other high brass. I don't remember the title- I think it was the Procession of Apollo, or something like that (trying to remember back over 20 years) but Google and Bing searches don't come up with anything even remotely close.

The rhythm is 8th 16th 16th 1/4 8th 16th 16th 1/4 8th 16th 16th 8th 8th 1/2

At least 100 BPM

It is NOT Haydn's 104th Symphony. I know that piece inside and out, and that's not it (but the aforementioned apps/websites keep insisting on it, when they deign to find any result at all) [/img]
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance recording a clip of you playing it?
sutekh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could try...the Forum wouldn't let me attach a picture, so I really don't expect to be able to attach an audio file
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the Empire's Theme from the original Star Wars movie trilogy? LOL! Not nearly at all like the main theme, but it's coming close (ish) the intro to the theme. Maybe I have Star Wars on the brain?

Nah, that is a little more bouncy than this. I tried playing it on a keyboard using Blofeld sounds. I'm not familiar enough with classical music to know what I was playing. Perhaps scoring it on a stave then doing an image match search might work?

I should really load those expensive sound sets I got with the SL licence into the Blofeld....

Edit:
You can post pics, it's just a weird way of setting the tags. Press the Img button and an open tag will be inserted at the cursor for you, paste your image address, then press the Img button again and it insert the close tag for you. Or paste the image address, highlight it, then press the Img button.

Pressing the "Add image to post" button sends you to postimg so you can upload there and then pastes the url and image bbcode in for you.

I'd rather it didn't though, as I would prefer if I could decide whether to make the image a clickable link in or not.

sutekh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. When I press the Img tab, all it get is [IMG] there is no place to cut or paste anything.
And how do I copy the "image address"? It's saved to my desktop.
No part of this makes any sense whatsoever.
sutekh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there is no "add image to post" button.

I tried the [Img] thing and here's the useless nonsense I got: [img]IMAG1006-2[/img]

No picture will appear no matter what I do.
sutekh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the useless crap I get when I try to upload the image from my Android phone...

[img]/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/100MEDIA/IMAG1063.jpg[/img]

How do I upload an image?!? If that's not the "image address" then what is it?
sutekh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found something under the FAQ. Images cannot be uploaded to this forum unless they're already on a website sonewhere. So I will never be able to share the brief snippet of hand-written sheet music which will clarify my question, which means no one will ever be able to help me identify this instantly-familiar piece of music.

I wrote it out the best I could, given the absurd limitations of this Forum. Really, no one on this Forum can decipher what I wrote? I typed out each letter name of each note, plus the duration. I cannot upload an image of the sheet music- I will never be able to upload an image on this Forum, and I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the Forum as a result.

This is as clear as I can make it.

Where else can I turn to to find out the name of this melody? NOTHING WORKS ANYWHERE THAT I'VE TRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, upload your image to an image host, I prefer https://imgbb.com. Nearly all image hosts will provide you with a variety of url's for you image. Usually they will give you an option for your image with [img] tags ready for you to c+p straight into a forum reply. You can also find the direct link and use that like this:
Code:
[img]image_url_here[/img]

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, I remember way back at the beginning of the century, I listened to a fair bit of Sutekh, originally stumbling upon him via Safety Scissors and Kit Clayton's work. Last thing I bought he was involved in was Pigeon Funk - The Largest Bird In The History Of The Planet... Ever!. Bloody fragile case for that one. He's released a bunch of really boundary pushing stuff over the years.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
sutekh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I figured it out, with nearly zero help from technology or the internet.

I played it for several friends and every single one of them had heard it before, it's an instantly recognizable melody- but no one knew the title.

I remembered a version of the name from over 20 years ago when we played it a few times in the college orchestra, and I found it by looking up every possible variant on the title that I could think of.

(BTW I'm not posting what the name of the piece is. PM me if you tried to help me out and I'll tell you, but otherwise the mystery will remain forever)

Google and Bing search engines are disgraceful, they've once again proven useless for finding something other than their sponsored results.

Music recognition apps turned out to be useless for Classical Music- I could only get one of them to identify well-known pieces such as Beethoven's 5th. My guess is because they're structured to identify a single recording of a popular piece- they don't analyze the melody and rhythm, they look for specific waveforms and match it up to the waveforms in their database. So if you try to identify a live or unplugged version of a song, they'll probably fail. There's no one recording of a classical piece- each rendition is different.

There were a few sites that analyzed the melody, but not the rhythm- which is extremely short sighted of the programmers. It recognized the contour of the melody- notes rising and falling- without any regard to the rhythm, nor was there any way to indicate the rhythm. That's why they all kept coming up with Haydn's 104th because the beginning has a similar contour, though the rhythm is much slower and it's several octaves lower in pitch.

So if I hadn't remembered something about the title from 20 years ago, I could never, ever have found out the name of the piece. Which is a disgraceful state of affairs in this modern "Information Age".
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocking to think that human connection still trumps technology.
RDRR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sutekh wrote:
OK I figured it out, with nearly zero help from technology or the internet.

(BTW I'm not posting what the name of the piece is. PM me if you tried to help me out and I'll tell you, but otherwise the mystery will remain forever)

So if I hadn't remembered something about the title from 20 years ago, I could never, ever have found out the name of the piece. Which is a disgraceful state of affairs in this modern "Information Age".

Para 1: I'm pleased for you, lying awake at night worrying was really messing with my biorhythms

Para 2: (BTW no-one particularly cares)

Para 3: Terrible what the world has come to. You should write a sternly worded letter to the universe. Provide a stamped, self-addressed envelope (Google it) for a reply.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's like they joined just to poo-poo this thread. That's some effort.

I dunno why you won't id the piece of music here, it's not like you got to the point of being able to convey the music to us really, so the guessing game didn't happen.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
RDRR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:

No, "they" joined to learn about Korg keyboards. Which "they're" doing quite happily, these are good forums.

"They" didn't join to read BS whiny commentary by someone who can't understand why the modern world wasn't set up to specifically resolve their ridiculous first world problems. So "they" are going to call that out.

Sorry, not sorry.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDRR wrote:
megamarkd wrote:

No, "they" joined to learn about Korg keyboards. Which "they're" doing quite happily, these are good forums.

"They" didn't join to read BS whiny commentary by someone who can't understand why the modern world wasn't set up to specifically resolve their ridiculous first world problems. So "they" are going to call that out.

Sorry, not sorry.

If all of the above is true, why did you give the time of day to the thread by replying? You are perpetuating something you believe is useless by bring attention to it.

Good forums have people with good forum decorum. Good forum decorum isn't joining then making your first post a scathing attack on someone for stating that technology created for a purpose doesn't work for applications within that purpose. Also, you are reading this post, you are part of the first world. All your problems are "first world problems", including forcing yourself to read posts that upset your idea of what equates to a useful post then reply about the uselessness of the post. Do you see what you have started here? Was it your intention to start this discourse that removes the focus of the thread from that which was it's topic or did you truly think that leaving a comment regarding your opinion of the validity of the topic within a forum devoted to Korg products would end all posts of that kind in the future?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: