Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello Korg Forums

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Hello Korg Forums Reply with quote

Just thought I'd join a forum relating to Korg as I have many Korg goodies.

My Korg Kollection:
MS-20
M1
KP3+
SDD1000
MONOTRON DELAY
Volca Beats
Volca Kick

My Korg Kravings:
Volca FM
Radias
MS2000R (B or not B, that is not a question)
Prophecy
Wavestation (any of the racks except the SR)
SDD3000
M1R (the 'board is too much room these days)
EX-800

Last edited by megamarkd on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW & Welcome

You DESERVE to be here - have fun

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pete. Nice to be here.

The M1 has been semiretired for a little while though the others have their constant duties.

There is a particular usability to Korg instruments that love, though I've been told and told and told again, look out for the Wavestation, it'll break me!!

My hopes for Korg in the future though, are that they release something as radical as the Wavestation again. Maybe not as perplexing, but something not traditionally subtractive again.
Hybrid is the way, I believe. Sure the "A" word causes all sorts of crazy reactions from the peoples, but so does the name Aphex Twin. He's already shown interest in Korg's new wave of synths to the point of getting involved in the development. And you know that guy is all about creating different sounds for personal expression using any form of synthesis.
A wavesequencing synth with analogue filters and amp, even if it was something as simple as a Minilogue with a wavesequence oscillator and KP style control with the pad and the looping for the wavesequence control. You can do simple wave sequencing with a KP3+ using the looper on a sample crossfade effect patch then running that into a filter and amp situation like that in say, the MS-20. Now if they just put that idea into a synth as the starting block of an additive/subtractive hybrid multiband resonant filtered synthesiser with a larger Volca/Monotron style touch controller with pressure sense......I don't ask much, do I? Wink
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi megamarkd ,
Welcome and nice to have your input.
You said two important things to me.
KP3 - I'm a total nut (with a dj background)

And

APHEX TWIN !!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
Hi megamarkd ,
Welcome and nice to have your input.
You said two important things to me.
KP3 - I'm a total nut (with a dj background)

And

APHEX TWIN !!

LOL! Cheers for the welcome.

I've been a fan since I first heard the Didgeridoo Ep way back in '91. Massive influence on my sound. I was dead sure he was using an MS-20 on that Ep, so when I got the M1, it was a light-bulb moment to run it through the MS-20 and create AFX type drums. I love his ethic of running with happy mistakes and experimenting with idiosyncrasies of instruments that may or may not be intended.

I was so blown away by the KP3+ when I got it. It tends to sit on a delay preset these days and the samples haven't changed for awhile, but I'm thinking I might try what I described above with setting it up to run as a vector synth sound-source.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Didgeridoo Ep was my intro too.Love that guy.Analogue Bubblebath vol 3 in the paper bag was another fave.
Sounds interesting the sample crossfade wave idea. Love the sample programs too,they're great for uniqueness.
Youve got some nice gear there ..Squarp Pyramid - nice.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Analogue Bubblebath 3 twice, once on vinyl and again on cd years later. Slightly different tracks on each, so not really a double-up. One of the projects RDJ did way back in '93 which I still would love to emulate is Surfing On Sine Waves. Bought it not knowing it was RDJ until I read got it home and saw the picture of him running down the stair in the gatefold. Went and both the Quath 12" the following week. Played it so loud that a trophy sitting on the shelf the speakers were on was rumbled off and landed on the spinning record. I dunno if it was because it was pressed on "clear" vinyl (not really clear, more hazy), but the huge scratch the trophy made didn't do anything to the playback of the record, no skipping what so ever!

The Pyramid is a beast of a sequencer, almost as if those guy peered into my brain some years ago and took all the things that annoyed me about my QY700 and fixed them. As great as the sequencer on the MV-8000 is with it's CC generation functions, the Pyramid has a separate CC sequence per track sequence with LFO's and other modulation sources to hook into the MIDI CC stream. I don't really use the touchpad though. One day I'll have enough money to drop on a Circlon, just so hard to have 1000+ moneys and not buy a synth, heheh.

Yeah the sample/signal chopper and bit reduction effects are also really amazing too, just I'm a delay nut, can't get enough of them. I have an old, old Vesta Kozo digital delay that is rather noisy these days so I've not got it plugged in right now. I'm considering adding it in again as it has a few great features like changing the base delay time will it's running and not resetting the delay, so I can start the delay on a short delay range setting then change it up to the longest and it will just drop the pitch and stretch the sound, unlike the SDD1000 which will go silent then start again as if it has been reset (which I'm guessing is exactly what happens. The DD-7 has a 6sec delay and a great analogue delay emulation. Wonderful as a dub delay.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol about the Quath story.Nice. he does have a tendancy to ingrain memories well with his emotive music.
Delay that keeps the pitch.time relationship yes. Why don't they all do it.
I had a great pedal of old that would do that on the multiplier steps - yeah its great when going back n forth for extra glitches (long gone now). Not enough of the kp patches do this and I'm not overly keen on the squiggle korg opts for instead. The odd tape pattern does it,then also abusing the tempo is good for a lot of fx - lfos in the extreme bpm ranges. Ive got the kp3. I would be interested to see the program changes made in the kp3+ beciuse the mini 2 have vast improvements and I wonder how similar they are to the +...(mm thinkin out aloud there as I don't see a mini on your list).
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah no mini here. I was thinking about getting a quad maybe, I need another fx unit, but maybe something with more than two controls per preset. I've thought about sequencing a pad touches to get the third parameter out of it.
Something very useful about the SDD1000 is the trig/gate input. I have a gate signal connected to it from the Fat Controller's B gate out and can control the division of the tempo by changing the step speed on the Fat Controller. I'm going to see about throwing that signal into a patchbay and then feeding it to the DD-7 also. Should work if Roland use the same idea of a gate signal as Korg.

Aphex Twin does have a great knack for creating sounds that evoke memories for sure, in a similar way Boards of Canada do to. It hit me what it is while listening to AT's Monologue demo; it's the detuning. It's the not quite right sounding scales and the long pitch drift they both like to use. The echos of the past tend to come in the way of old television shows/movies/advertising from the age of tape. Old tape recordings stretch and drift with time. Memories are similar. They stretch and drift over time also...
He talks a fair bit on microtuning being the key to more organic sounding electronics, but it's more than just that to creating evocative synth music. I believe long, slowly modulated delay has a huge hand in it also (as I would being the delay nut that I am). With a low depth setting it makes each repeat sound not quite right, again sorta like how memories come to mind.
Having many different delays, all a little different to each other, but all being clockable, I might try some silly stuff like sending each delay line to a different tonal distortion, to create a feel of the same sound in different eras. Telephone, radio, film, television, tape. The oldest sound having the longest delay time and the newest being relatively short (more thinking out loud, heheh)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> New Members Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: