Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monologue MIDI clock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Monologue MIDI clock Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Monologue, but I need some information beforehand.

I know that, if I plug in a sync cable to the Monologue's sync in and provide sync signal (from a Zoom R8 metronome track in my case) the Monologue will sync its sequencer to it.

But will it send out MIDI Clock according to its sync'ed tempo, so other gear (Novation Circuit and UltraNova) can be sync'ed too? So in other words I'd like to use the Monologue as an analog sync to MIDI clock converter. Is this possible?

The Zoom R8 unfortunately has no other sync options (no MIDI, no analog sync in), so I'd like it to be the master clock source.

Can you help me?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if using the metronome will act like a clock signal. Do some research of what voltage the Monologue sync signal is and then see if you can find out what the voltage of the audio coming out of the metronome R8 is. I don't know much about how all that works so can't help with that too much.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
DMaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previously I've made a .wav file with a single 10 ms length pulse in it, used as a metronome "sound". This way I was able to sync my Volcas to the R8, so I'm sure this part will work. I'm curious about that if the Monologue will output a MIDI clock simultaneously.

As an alternative I'm working on a little device that accepts Audio Sync and outputs MIDI clock. The only problem is, that while Audio Sync is sent out once every time the sequencer advances to the next beat (giving a 4 PPQN frequency), MIDI clock has a 24 PPQN frequency. So the device has to calculate the time between each Audio Sync pulse and send 6 MIDI clock messages during that time distributed evenly.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine it would work, many moons ago some synths used to take 'tape sync' for synchronised recording. You recorded the sync track from your synth to a separate track to that you are recording the synth to, then when overdubbing the drums, run a line from the sync track to the drum machine's tape sync in so it will run in sync with your recording. I've thought about recording an analogue clock signal into my R16 to use in the same fashion, but run the recorded track into the sync-in on my Beatstep Pro. I'd have to use an incredibly long recording though, just to make sure I always have enough sync signal recorded for any length recording I may want to make (sometimes my ramblings go for 30mins, I tend to jam more than write complete musical pieces).

With regards to the box you were saying you want to make, a fellow on ebay sells sync to MIDI boxes for a good price, might be a starting point. He sells under the name "Touchprone" and is based in Australia. Search for the name in the store finder part of ebay.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a midified modded Monotribe to do what you want.
Works a treat and is a much more basic device.
DMaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all who is interested:

Yesterday I've bought a Monologue, and yes, it can act as an Analog Sync to MIDI clock converter (not to mention that, it's a wonderful piece of hardware).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: