Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha Genos ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, brand loyaltie seems quite high in the yamaha oldtimer camp..

On the psr tutorial forums as well as on snthzone arranger forums, dozens of people have pre ordered witouth having heared the Genos and not even knowing the specs... only because their dealer says it is the best arranger keyboard ever created..

Stupidity or loyaltie?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stupidity or loyaltie?

Could be either or both or just classic crap sales guys wanting to make another $7,000+ sale - that's what the T5 cost here!!!

I've been on the receiving end of one such sales guy - Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha - do they get good commission?
Also they prey on the current Tyros owners and push the "....you wouldn't want to change...." approach - "...Genos is the best and as you currently own a T5 you will find it very easy to get used to...." etc.. etc..

I understand the anxiety and resentment to "change" and I think this will be a marketing slant.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Well, brand loyaltie seems quite high in the yamaha oldtimer camp..

On the psr tutorial forums as well as on snthzone arranger forums, dozens of people have pre ordered witouth having heared the Genos and not even knowing the specs... only because their dealer says it is the best arranger keyboard ever created..

Stupidity or loyaltie?

Probably a little of both. Most are likely previous Yamaha PA owners that prefer their Yamahas and anticipate more of the same but better from the Genos. I still think "Genos" is a pizza chain. FWIW Razz

Korg Geezer

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Quote:
Stupidity or loyaltie?

Could be either or both or just classic crap sales guys wanting to make another $7,000+ sale - that's what the T5 cost here!!!

I've been on the receiving end of one such sales guy - Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha - do they get good commission?
Also they prey on the current Tyros owners and push the "....you wouldn't want to change...." approach - "...Genos is the best and as you currently own a T5 you will find it very easy to get used to...." etc.. etc..

I understand the anxiety and resentment to "change" and I think this will be a marketing slant.

Pete Very Happy

For dealers in Hollamd its simple.. they allways want to sell Yamaha... they make most provision on a Yamaha deal.. on top of that they make extra bonus from Yamaha sales based on total numbers sold..

Not many dealers offer fair advise, because of this...
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
karmathanever wrote:
Quote:
Stupidity or loyaltie?

Pete Very Happy

For dealers in Hollamd its simple.. they allways want to sell Yamaha... they make most provision on a Yamaha deal.. on top of that they make extra bonus from Yamaha sales based on total numbers sold..

Not many dealers offer fair advise, because of this...
You would think people these day are turned on to sales gimmicks... but then maybe not ....its all horses for courses....what's one man's meat is another's poison... i try not to shoot down others likes and dislikes BUT..... PA4X...bloody good would you not say.........D575 (Tommy 73) Smile
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people ordering g the Genos without haveing played it are certainly foolish but one mans folly is another mans fortune and o e mans rubbish is another mans treasure . These folkes clearly have plenty of money to spend and you can’t blame the salesman for doing his job which is to sell. At least the salesman can feed his family . Certainly there will be other people that will benefit like the more affordable second hand Yamaha’s that will undoubtedly be more available !
shefu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure all these old timers are pre ordering it because they Keyboard looks like its from their prime days, early 90s Smile)

To me personally, just from the aspect of it, the new PA 700 or 1000 look more inspiring.

Sorry to sound so bitter, but as a former Yamaha fan, I really wanted them to put out something good finally. Seems like the original Motif is the last good keyboard they put out.

Remember the mid 90s and early 2000s? When almost every synth they put out was actually interesting, and you couldn't wait to try it out? AN1X, EX5, CS6X, and then the Motif....

What the hell happened to them?
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
The people ordering g the Genos without haveing played it are certainly foolish but one mans folly is another mans fortune and o e mans rubbish is another mans treasure . These folkes clearly have plenty of money to spend and you can’t blame the salesman for doing his job which is to sell. At least the salesman can feed his family . Certainly there will be other people that will benefit like the more affordable second hand Yamaha’s that will undoubtedly be more available !
the price on all these tyros will drop like a stone with the amount coming onto the s/h market ....they are clambering all over each other to buy one ...me I will pop along to the demo in November check it out have a coffee a chat and chill out ...
Devnor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both guys I know with Tyros5 play about 400 gigs a year. At least 1 is getting the Genos. Not sure why you guys are so down on this, based upon zero info. All will be revealed shortly and preorders can be cancelled. I'm not sure what the next gen arranger looks like but bolting a synthesizer to an arranger, which is what everyone seems to want, really isn't part of it's mission. The key is knowing and being able to manipulate styles effortlessly all while singing and putting on a show. I'm sure Genos will build on that and carry on with it's very realistic sounds. These guys can play 1000s of songs quickly - it's pretty amazing.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Both guys I know with Tyros5 play about 400 gigs a year. At least 1 is getting the Genos. Not sure why you guys are so down on this, based upon zero info. All will be revealed shortly and preorders can be cancelled. I'm not sure what the next gen arranger looks like but bolting a synthesizer to an arranger, which is what everyone seems to want, really isn't part of it's mission. The key is knowing and being able to manipulate styles effortlessly all while singing and putting on a show. I'm sure Genos will build on that and carry on with it's very realistic sounds. These guys can play 1000s of songs quickly - it's pretty amazing.
+1
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a echo from me all ready today somewhere else.....I think to say...at the end of the day (it's the night) ..i try to stay away from saying one keyboard is better than another it all about personal preference and how the musicality works at a personal level when choosing our key's of choice what we do have on here is deep technical knowledge when any comparison are made which is great , interesting and very useful...so what is one man's meat is another's poison and what is important is how we make any of these arranger or any other keyboard sing when making music and after all... music is the language of the universe ((((A@424hz)))) so bashing brands is not making that all important music... I own a PA4X as well as other key's and love it and other own tyros and love them.. so know one is right or wrong in that regard...yes there are technical differences but what's important is what works for you...so looking fwd to trying GENOS ...all the best to you all
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes agree - think many of us just wanted to see a nice arranger competitor (which it still may possibly be)

BUT KORG!!!! Please consider this - if you organise similar live demos (even now) for the PA4X/PA1000/PA700 I think it might give you a very significant edge

German scheduled 4-hour sessions on Genos:-
https://de.yamaha.com/de/products/contents/keyboards/eventlist/index.html

Pete Very Happy
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTS OF REAL DEMOS NOW ON YOUTUBE from Yamaha - here's one (you'll find the others):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9PB8rzMV8

EDIT:- HERE IT IS - SPECS, DEMOS ETC.....!!!!
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/index.html#product-tabs
And Kraft Music demo:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBLCaBRcwY
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can well see a good marriage between a workstation and arranger.

Consider the Casio XW-P1. It doesn't have a good linear sequencer interface, the way that the KORG workstations do, but it has a step sequencer with eight different snapshots that you can program on the fly, kind of like self-managed arranger buttons for things like fill and so on. It has presets for them as well, as if to prove a point. Then you can transpose on the fly, solo over it, and also use the phrase sequencer over the top, along with the arpeggiator.

My point isn't that the Casio is the last word in what we want (although it's a lot better than sneering elitists would have us all believe) but that it makes it very easy to effectively create what amounts to your own styles, either live or prerecorded. I've done it for electronica, manipulating a range of other synths by MIDI even.

Combine that (a lot more sophisticated in some ways than the typical workstation combi setup) with a strong linear sequencer and you're off to the races. You could create your own settings for everything from ambient to death metal, run them live and record the MIDI commands while you play.

If that's what the Genos can do, Yamaha almost certainly have a gamechanger.

I really need to look into what Casio's newer so-called arrangers can do ...

Edited to add:

By the specs as discussed on synthtopia.com, they might actually have done it. On-board style creation, and some kind of MIDI sequencer inside along with audio recording. Obviously it's a competent arranger. How the rest of it will go? We may have to wait and see, but it's not an immediate failure as a workstation.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I can well see a good marriage between a workstation and arranger.

Consider the Casio XW-P1. It doesn't have a good linear sequencer interface, the way that the KORG workstations do, but it has a step sequencer with eight different snapshots that you can program on the fly, kind of like self-managed arranger buttons for things like fill and so on. It has presets for them as well, as if to prove a point. Then you can transpose on the fly, solo over it, and also use the phrase sequencer over the top, along with the arpeggiator.

My point isn't that the Casio is the last word in what we want (although it's a lot better than sneering elitists would have us all believe) but that it makes it very easy to effectively create what amounts to your own styles, either live or prerecorded. I've done it for electronica, manipulating a range of other synths by MIDI even.

Combine that (a lot more sophisticated in some ways than the typical workstation combi setup) with a strong linear sequencer and you're off to the races. You could create your own settings for everything from ambient to death metal, run them live and record the MIDI commands while you play.

If that's what the Genos can do, Yamaha almost certainly have a gamechanger.

I really need to look into what Casio's newer so-called arrangers can do ...

Edited to add:

By the specs as discussed on synthtopia.com, they might actually have done it. On-board style creation, and some kind of MIDI sequencer inside along with audio recording. Obviously it's a competent arranger. How the rest of it will go? We may have to wait and see, but it's not an immediate failure as a workstation.

Casio mzx 500 is probably the most advanced arranger where it comes to possibillities.. have a look at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: