Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what kind of music do you produce on your Electribes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michi_mak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: what kind of music do you produce on your Electribes? Reply with quote

i'm not talking about different genres but more of a general kind of music - is your music more rhythm or more melodic driven?

i'm asking because i can't imagine to do melodic work without a piano roll type ui which of course is the opposite from an Electribe.
Sulfur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is more melodic. I usually start with a riff (tipically the bass) and a simple drum. Then I build up the melody lines playing them and elaborate all of these. During the process I start taking a raw decision on the mute/unmute and pattern sequences that will help me to refine the lines and the drum through the step edit menu.
michi_mak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for answering! so do you "try" what fits your first melody or do you "compose" ( let's say you got an a in your first melody therefor you need a c or e because you want to be i a-minor ). i can't see how to go for a second melody or chords if i don't have some sort of piano roll or staff paper except for trial and error (hearing what fits well)...
Sulfur

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michi_mak wrote:
thanx for answering! so do you "try" what fits your first melody or do you "compose" ( let's say you got an a in your first melody therefor you need a c or e because you want to be i a-minor ). i can't see how to go for a second melody or chords if i don't have some sort of piano roll or staff paper except for trial and error (hearing what fits well)...

Sometimes I try, some others I can imagine the lines and just need to find the notes. Since I rarely use an external keyboard I don't mind too much about tune and scale because, unless you set the latter to chromatic, the notes are already in scale. There's always a component of randomness and experimentation at the beginning of my workflow and even later to a progressively less degree. The unexpected is often the most inspiring thing to me. If I want to change the tune I can use the pitch knob (if I have very few parts) or edit the notes or change the tune and record again later. More often I use the combination of tune and scale (I mean the modes) just as a way to shift the keyboard range according to my needs, so it's not rare for me to set parts differently. But let's say that I've got a melody in a certain scale, when I need another line I try to find it starting from a different note and make the crossing melodies create the harmony too. I go by ear. Sometimes I find good lines that before or later absolutely don't fit with the others so I dismiss them or save them in another pattern for a future use. Other times I just need to strip out some notes from here or there so my workflow is somewhat similar to modeling with clay. At the beginning I put a lot of notes in and then I refine everything taking away the unnecessary. I make my tracks like a puzzle game, but it works for me. Sorry for the lenght.
michi_mak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulfur wrote:
...Sorry for the lenght.

to the contrary - it's highly appreciated!
thanks a lot!!!
InTheAM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a bit of both. For music that is more melodic than your typical dance track I think there is a distinct advantage to using something more complex to arrange in MIDI.

Electribes are best for electronic music that prefers quantized sequencing and simpler, repeated phrases (loops ;p).

At least for myself, if we are talking a sampling Electribe I think there a lot of cool possibilities with chopping and rearranging complex melodic material. But like the EMX or E2 are going to be great for house and techno et al. and probably not so great for complex song writing.
King Duppy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work mostly on the ESX, which has two chromatic keyboard parts, so I’d say I do a fair amount of both melodic music and more rhythmic music (which I usually record electric bass and/or guitar parts over).

It’s been years since I could properly read written music, so I tend to compose either on the bass, or right on the ESX itself. Usually that means coming up with a basic drum part on the ESX, improvising on the electric bass over it (or very rarely writing a chord progression on the guitar), and then using that as the core of my song.

From there, I’ll either record the electric bass as a scratch track to follow (and ideally replace later with something more polished) or play that melody or bassline into the ESX using its chromatic keys.

If I’m basing the song around a sample, I usually set that sample on repeat so I can tease out what key it’s in, find a bass or harmony line works with it, etc. Then I'll usually mute that core sample and add more parts using the chromatic keys or tuned one-shot samples— harmonies, countermelodies, etc. Each time I add something, I'll play it along with the original sample to make sure I didn't add anything that clashes with it.

Sometimes it all works out, and it’s just that easy. Other times I drift too far from the original sample. In that case, I'll usually just remove it entirely and see if I the song works on its own without that loop in it.

I’d also suggest, in the words of Luke Vibert (AKA Plug), to “work in loop mode for as long as you can take it” to get all the EQ and levels feeling right and give yourself a good starting point. That way you don’t have to go back and fix all those little things later in every pattern you’ve built out of the original.

I also have an old ES-1 that I use mostly as a drum machine for when I’m playing bass, or for creating loops that I then resample on the ESX to use as stretch or slice parts. I’ve written some songs on the ES-1—given enough creativity, you can write a song on anything—but not being able to play it chromatically means it’s a lot more work to write a melody line or bass line.

That said—the electribes give you a ton of different parts (even the humble ES-1 has 9 drum parts and a Slice part), and I've found that as often as not, that's actually way more parts than are useful. In other words, it lets you make music that's much more busy than it probably should be.

A way around this, I've found, is to load the same one-hit sample (say a bass tone or other melodic instrument) to some of those drum parts, and tune each to a different pitch. This does two things:

1) It gives you a kind of "keyboard" to play a melody with a limited number of notes.

2) It reduces the total number of samples available to you in a pattern, which forces you to make decisions and helps you avoid a cluttered song with too much stuff going on.

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps!
InTheAM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Duppy wrote:

That said—the electribes give you a ton of different parts (even the humble ES-1 has 9 drum parts and a Slice part), and I've found that as often as not, that's actually way more parts than are useful. In other words, it lets you make music that's much more busy than it probably should be.

I've always loved the forced minimalism of the Electribes. Even on the new ES2 I quite often just go with the flow of voice stealing when it happens. Lots of cool happy accidents have happen in that way.

I love making music on just my Analog 4 for the same reason, though of course you can dig yourself a much deeper rabbit whole on an A4...
King Duppy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InTheAM wrote:

I've always loved the forced minimalism of the Electribes. Even on the new ES2 I quite often just go with the flow of voice stealing when it happens. Lots of cool happy accidents have happen in that way.

And here I thought I was the only one who kind of liked the voice-stealing problem.

I've always thought it was a fun way to find a new idea you wouldn't come up with on your own. So cool that other people do this, too.
InTheAM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Duppy wrote:
InTheAM wrote:

And here I thought I was the only one who kind of liked the voice-stealing problem.

I've always thought it was a fun way to find a new idea you wouldn't come up with on your own. So cool that other people do this, too.

I feel like most electronic music was kind of birthed from "mistakes" and "things that didn't work right"...

Like King Tubby having to fix a reverb unit, but not being able to fix it correctly or accidently printing a bunch of records w/o the vocals and accidently inventing Dub. Or the original TR XoX boxes being terrible for what they were intended for, but being used to spawn house and techno.

I'm less creative when I'm spoiled for options, though too many limitations make creativity impossible--its a balance I think the Electribe series always struck well.
King Duppy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props for mentioning King Tubby!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: