Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quekou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Newbie Questions Reply with quote

I just had the machine for a few days and couldn't figure out how to do some basic stuff, please help.

1. How to side chain compress the bass with the kick?
2, how to use multiple insert effects on a particular part?

I read the manual and the parameter guide back to back a few times and couldn't see any info on those.

Thanks
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<< 1 -How to side chain compress the bass with the kick?

Use Pumper on IFX on the Bass part *or*

Step Jump Motion Record sequence the Bass part - and literally smash the level/velocity/filter/whatever (your choice) on specific steps..- best way to describe is look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4AKYBCPgNw

You should look at it anyway if you are starting out. Works for both E2 and ES2 and demonstrates good workflow to get in habit when programming.

<<<< 2, how to use multiple insert effects on a particular part?

No can do on E2 - can try resample on ES2 but still, you can apply one IFX and one MFX on part (well, the MFX is one for all parts Smile).
quekou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1_inch_punch wrote:
<<< 1 -How to side chain compress the bass with the kick?

Use Pumper on IFX on the Bass part *or*

Step Jump Motion Record sequence the Bass part - and literally smash the level/velocity/filter/whatever (your choice) on specific steps..- best way to describe is look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4AKYBCPgNw

You should look at it anyway if you are starting out. Works for both E2 and ES2 and demonstrates good workflow to get in habit when programming.

<<<< 2, how to use multiple insert effects on a particular part?

No can do on E2 - can try resample on ES2 but still, you can apply one IFX and one MFX on part (well, the MFX is one for all parts Smile).

Thanks a lot.

1. I will check out the video. Well coming from using a DAW for a few years, knowing no didicated compressor effect with side chain ability on a dance music making tool is very surprising to me.

2. That you can use only one insert on each part is even more shocking. I usually use at least 4 or 5 insert effect on a patch in a DAW enrollment. Say you got a part that you want to remove some of the lower frequencies to avoid muddies in the mix but you still want a distortion effect, how do you do that on E2s now? If I use lowEQ to tone the the low frequency, I lose the ability to apply drive.

I mean I like this machine that I can sit down on my couch poking around it but the limitation is astonishing.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like you said, you've just had it for a few days. there's so much you need to learn. patience, my friend. Even after a year you will still be learning things.
quekou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
like you said, you've just had it for a few days. there's so much you need to learn. patience, my friend. Even after a year you will still be learning things.
YOu are right, I guess I should be more patient. I should focus on what it can do not what it can not.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quekou wrote:
roblabs wrote:
YOu are right, I guess I should be more patient. I should focus on what it can do not what it can not.

As u continue to use it u will be surprised at how many workarounds and tricks u will discover. Imo the new electribes are kinda like puzzles. That might irritate some, but there's a real joy to cracking them and coming up with clever solutions.

Last edited by roblabs on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more with roblab's analogy: it's so true that the more you immerse yourself within the Electribe's world, the more you will find ways to do your very best within (or despite) its limitations - and... more often than not, you will (or should) eventually find, that composing on it - is a deeply satisfying and most rewarding experience.

Enjoy the trip Very Happy
InTheAM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a general response to your move from the DAW world to hardware--even very expensive, feature rich hardware often lacks options that feel so basic when you've been making music in the DAW world for a long time.

Classic house and techno didn't use sidechain ducking. They just had to design their sounds and use clever arrangements to make the tracks work. Its always been this way in the hardware world...unless you've got a ton of cash to burn and space to build a huge studio setup.

If you want to make music with hardware only or mostly hardware, get used to finding work arounds and figuring stuff out inside of limitations : ) For me that is half the fun, but I know it can be frustrating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: