Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songbook question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Songbook question Reply with quote

Sometimes some of the songs in my Songbook are duplicated and some names start with a green border STY icon and the duplicate one with a black border STY icon. Can anyone please tell me why is this happening? Couldn't find any info in the manual.
seaside

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Songbook question Reply with quote

The songs with the highlighted green icons are the direct set,so if direct is deselected,then they will all disappear regards Terry
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer. But this Direct thing is now more confusing than ever. Can't understand what it is. I got to configure a new Set List with it's own name and all the settings I wanted, then I saved ALL to a location in my HD, and all that work is lost. The Set List never appeared again, and I saved and wrote every time after each entry. Nothing! It's all gone. And don't get to realize what is this Direct thing///
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Armand
Firstly, the Direct access will not have harmed any of your saves to disk.
Quote:
I got to configure a new Set List with it's own name and all the settings I wanted, then I saved ALL to a location in my HD, and all that work is lost. The Set List never appeared again, and I saved and wrote every time after each entry.

Just to clarify, was the whole SET missing or just the SONGBOOK part? Hopefully you didn't accidentally uncheck SONGBOOK when saving "All"

Please check carefully - it has to be there somewhere - USB, internal 1GB flash disk, hard drive (if you have one) etc....
Sorry if that sounds like stating the obvious, but I have done the same - saved something and then can't find it (but did eventually!!)

Hope you find it OK.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- The songs in the Songbook with all the tweaked parameters I edited (6 in total) are missing. (Just one of them remains).
2- The whole Set List I newly created to store those songs in is missing. (I named it "MyList" and no trace of it anywhere.
3- I not only pressed "Write" to the list every time I added a song to it, I also performed a save ALL (to 3 different locations!) after every song added.
Next day the "MyList" list was gone and also 5 of the 6 songs in the Songbook. I loaded ALL from each of the 3 different locations I saved and non of them contained the songs or the new list. It's so frustrating. I know it's something I'm not understanding or doing wrong. Also those duplicated songs in the Songbook confuse me so much. I have searched for videos (I'm a graphical person) to see if I understand more about the Direct thing but they are all in Arabic languages or Chinese. I've read so many times the post you have about the Direct and I can't understand the purpose of it. I succeeded doing what I wanted to do not even thinking that a "Direct Mode" existed and can't understand why my settings disappear all the time...
P. S. I always leave all items checked when saving ALL.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Armand

This is strange - if you actually "saved" the SET to disk (3 times!!!), it has to be there.
OK
Let me ask a question before going further:-
Have you set up a "Direct Access" SET or not?
You would have to SPECIFICALLY do this by going to Global > Mode Preferences > Media and "browsing" for a SET on your disk/USB/SD
If you have never done that then we are looking at a different path to try resolve your problem.

Direct Access (info)
This feature basically means you can have your "normal" SET loaded up and all going fine and then if you happened to have a different SET on DISK and wanted to play all the USER/FAVORITE styles in it all you have to do is tell the PA4X to look at it (point to it) and the PA4X makes all of its styles available for immediate playing - you find them under the "Direct" tab when selecting STYLES - this is done in Global > Mode Preferences > Media "Direct Folder" (browse) - see page 911 in the latest V2 manual

Hope that helps a bit....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try again to understand an follow all your advices when I get home. Only one thing is worrying me: I'm asuming that when I save ALL to disk, I'm considering that the Direct mode (or whatever it is) is also being saved with it. Because one of the folders I was saving ALL is the same folder my Direct was pointing to. Hope this is not a problem.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Armand

You should not save to your Direct SET - this will definitely confuse the issue and is most likely the reason you have lost your SONGBOOK changes.

I'll try to explain...

Let's totally ignore Direct for a moment
So you switch on your PA4X and load in your desired SET (let's call it SET-A).
All that data is now loaded internally in your PA4X.
Let's assume you have a SET-B on your disk and you would like to use the styles in it but DON'T want to overwrite any internal banks you loaded from SET-A.
This is where Direct comes in. So you now get the PA4X to recognise SET-B as a direct SET (note you do not LOAD it)
Onee this is done you can see the style banks from SET-B under the "Direct" tab when selecting styles.
Any time you make any changes and go into MEDIA mode to "save All" you will overwrite SET-A (or create a new SET if you wish) with INTERNAL STYLES etc...
Also note that if you have a SONGBOOK in both SETs the SONGBOOK will display them both merged.
When you create/modify any SONGBOOK entry you MUST be careful which SONGBOOK you are writing it to (there's an option to select "direct" or "internal")

If you have loaded SET-A and set up your Direct ALSO as SET-A - (which I think is what has happened here) then this is your problem.
You will have created/modified SONGBOOK entries but NOT checked where they are being written to (i.e. Internal SB or Direct SB) so, lets say you changed/created SB entries in the Direct SET - when you perform a Save ALL it will overwrite your SET-A with internal SONGBOOK hence you will have lost the changes.

So - firstly, do not have direct set the same as the SET you load internally, secondly, if you do use a Direct SET make sure when you write any SONGBOOK changes that you carefully check what it is changing (internal SONGBOOK or Direct SONGBOOK).

Hope this helps and please don't hold back if it doesn't!!!

Pete Very Happy
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo! Your words are now making more sense in my mind. My problem is, and I've been dealing with computers so long time ago, that the names Korg refers to when naming all the procedures and parts of the arranger confuse me so much because coming from another background, I see those .SET as folders. And I see folders where I store songbook (including the set list custom or not), sounds, styles etc. And like a computer, everything you save in a folder will definitely stay there until you load it again. My concept of "saving ALL" is precisely "saving ALL" meaning that everything I have in my keyboard, and everything I've programmed and that is playing right now will be recalled when I load "ALL" from that folder. But apparently that's not it. And that's my mistake. In other words, when I'm believing I'm saving ALL, I'm not. I'm just saving some things and not other. For me is like taking my whole repertory to a gig and I save it in the trunk of my car, and when I get to the gig and open my trunk there's only a couple of tunes of my repertory, but in my mind I believe I put it all there. That's what I visualize it's happening to me. Then my whole concept is wrong?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My concept of "saving ALL" is precisely "saving ALL" meaning that everything I have in my keyboard, and everything I've programmed and that is playing right now will be recalled when I load "ALL" from that folder.

That basically is true - I think for now, I would recommend that you do not set up "Direct" access SET or, if you do really need those extra STYLES, delete the SONGBOOK from within that SET first.
When you perform a Save ALL it does save every USER component to disk including your GLOBAL setting, SOUNDs SONGBOOK etc.. etc.. BUT IT NEVER SAVES ANYTHING RELATED TO A LINKED DIRECT ACCESS SET (sorry - I was emphasising there, not shouting Wink )

Everything would have worked fine if you had not set up your DIRECT access SET as the same SET you did a Save All to - the SET you "load" and the Direct Access SET must be different to avoid the conflict you are experiencing.

Do you feel OK with this now? I am sorry you have lost your work - hopefully you can re-create it OK.

(If you do still want to have Direct access set up, then when you actually "write" the SONGBOOK entry, make sure that "Internal" is selected then everything will be in your internal SONGBOOK and hence will get saved successfully when executing a Save All.

Still get back if you are having issues...

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I'm starting to get it. Can I just create a new folder called MIDIRECT.SET using my computer and select it as the Direct location then just not using it for anything else? And then continue to save my ALLs to where I was always saving before?
I just love the idea of creating my own Song Lists with the settings, sounds and styles I tweak and that's all I want to have using only my internal hard disk. That's as awesome as can be for me. I can start using the Direct later on when I advance a little in my knowledge of the instrument. My immediate concern is to get my performance repertoire set up as soon as possible.
Thank you again, you've been a great help to me and I appreciate this help very much.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't link a direct SET and it will be OK - "deselect" it. See pages 912/3 on how to do this (GLOBAL mode)
Let me know if you need help...

Pete Very Happy
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do know how to deselect it. Was just thinking that it'll be a good idea to have it there if it doesn't bother it might help me later to understand and retrieve certain things. Just don't want to lose what I'm editing. But if you think I should deselect it I will. Thanks again.
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't worry about using capitals when writing to me. I belong to a generation where capitals were used to emphasize and not to shout. I've had some problems with that myself. Correct grammar doesn't seem to be very chatter friendly. Ha!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Armand
Quote:
Actually I do know how to deselect it. Was just thinking that it'll be a good idea to have it there if it doesn't bother it might help me later to understand and retrieve certain things.

Just think it might be better for you to deselect it for now and reselect it later when you are comfortable that all is going OK etc...

Pete Very Happy

(P.S. I almost lost a good friend over e-mailing in capitals!!! )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: