Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The italian Grand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: The italian Grand Reply with quote

How do you like the italian grand that came with the v2 upgrade?
Nev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bachus, In my book it is no more than ok. Its a typical arranger Piano no better or worse than others from Korg or Yamaha. My beef is that if Qui and other experts can produce wonderful Piano`s from the sounds in the boards, why cannot Korg & Yamaha produce them as presets?

Korg Pa4X, PAAS, Tyros 4, Stagepas 400i, Shure headmic, Lenovo 13.5 tablet for PDF`s
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficulty is not with the preset . It’s with the sound system you are using . The piano sample itself is very good but is eq’d for use with the sound bar or it is flat and you have to do the work .
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think it’s all to do with sound system, the Italian Grand is clunky and the hammer action is too pronuced at least for me and I have tried to use it through three different high quality systems, the Italian is unusable for me but I have replaced my go to acoustic piano with the Wavesart C7 sample set which suits my needs perfectly.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a skilled pianist at all, but to my ears ALL the piano's in PA4X are highly improved compared to PA3X (as are all of the sounds by the way).
In my PA3X I almost never used a factory piano except for the rock piano and the grand with moving pad.

I like the Italian Grand in PA4X a lot, in particular with a bit more reverb and accompanied by a dark pad at low volume at Up2.
In fact, thats 'My setting' at the moment.

Straight from the box the Korg Arrangers always sound very dry IMO.
Maybe Korg could add some kind of dialogue steps when starting the instrument for the first time:
- size of the room where the instrument is placed
- place in the room (next to a wall, in the middle of the room)
- sort of music you play a lot
- etcetera

and then customize the settings to those first criteria.
Some sort of steps you can also walk through when buying a TV and setting it up for the first time.
Afterwards you can of course always tweak and customize. Just an idea.

Play in style. Wink
Stilli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it but would agree that the Hammer noise is too pronounced as it is in most of the other pianos.
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:

actually that makes sense, when they would add lot's of effects to the sounds it would sound terrible in most venues, the natural reverb of a venue can change the sound a lot.

In my opinion they made the right decision, you can easely modify a factory sound more to your personal preference.

there is a huge difference mastering sounds that are played live, or sounds that are used in recordings. Since the arrenger is a live performance instrument i understand that decision.

The italian piano is fantastic in my opinion! I like it very much and it's perfect for playing over backing tracks since it cuts through the mix so well.

Also it's a very good starting point for creating all kind of other pianos based on the italian piano (the jazz piano is also a great starting point).

I don't like the Grand Piano, but the new Italian piano is really good in my opinion!
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
Fransman wrote:

actually that makes sense, when they would add lot's of effects to the sounds it would sound terrible in most venues, the natural reverb of a venue can change the sound a lot.

In my opinion they made the right decision, you can easely modify a factory sound more to your personal preference.

there is a huge difference mastering sounds that are played live, or sounds that are used in recordings. Since the arrenger is a live performance instrument i understand that decision.

Hi Qui, of course you'r right about that. I was just suggesting to make a sort of dialogue interface for installing the instrument for the first time.
That could be a bit of help to make the settings right for use in a hall, in your room, etcetera.

Play in style. Wink
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:
Hi Qui, of course you'r right about that. I was just suggesting to make a sort of dialogue interface for installing the instrument for the first time.
That could be a bit of help to make the settings right for use in a hall, in your room, etcetera.

interesting approach and idea!

i never saw that implemented anywhere but it does make sense. It would be a lot of work for manufacturers to supply multiple variations of the same sounds, but it is a great idea Very Happy
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: os Reply with quote

Yes It Great and we can mix them together.Sounds like the M1 piano but better. Smile
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stilli wrote:
I like it but would agree that the Hammer noise is too pronounced as it is in most of the other pianos.

That is really easy to change in the pa4x:

- press the sound button
- select the italian grand
- press the menu button
- press the basic knob on the touch screen
- there you see that it has 24 oscillators. If you look indepth then you will see that oscillator 17 till 24 are used for the keyon / keyoff noises and the pedal FX noises.
- to get rid of those sounds completely you can change the number 24 to 16. Then you have the italian piano without any sound effects.
- if you want to keep those sounds but just lower the volume of those fx, then press the menu button and go to the oscillator page
- there select oscillater 17 (and repeat the procedure for the osc's 18 - 24) and lower the volume of each oscillator.
- then save your modified piano with a new name in the user sound area.

It's really easy to do.
Stilli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:

That is really easy to change in the pa4x:

Thanks Qui, that was very useful. That awful noise has been bugging me from day one. Strange but it's not too bad when played on the PA4X but when triggered from my 88 key Yamaha S90XS the noises come through louder than the piano sound.
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qui - I also find the piano effects a bit much. Thanks for sharing how to fix it. Have always been afraid to get into the sounds with my limited knowledge.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Qui I followed your instructions but I am still hearing the pedal effects . What am I doing wrong. ?
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
Hi Qui I followed your instructions but I am still hearing the pedal effects . What am I doing wrong. ?

Sorry, i did it from memory, i've just checked, in osc 15 and 16 are also some piano leakage effect samples

so to get rid of every effect in the italian piano change the number 24 (oscs) to 14 (instead of 16)

Then every sound effect is removed from the italian piano.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: