Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Gadget on Nintendo Switch!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Korg Gadget on Nintendo Switch!! Reply with quote

Nobuyoshi Sano, the developer behind the DSN-12, M01D, iMS-20 and more posted this yesterday on his facebook:

It's totally official, Detune Ltd. already has a page up! http://www.detune.co.jp/Korg_Gadget_fir_Nintendo_Switchhtml.html
Looks like it's slated for release in Spring 2018.
Price is TBA. It's a safe bet to assume it'll support downloadable content. The Switch is more like an iPad than a Mac so the price will probably be around $40 for the software and then $10-$15 bucks for various Gadgets.
This will be the first full fledged DAW for a home gaming console. Unless you want to count stuff like Mario Paint back in '92.

Also in other news, Katsunori Ujiie was showing off this upcoming portable workstation by a company called Cyberstep.

Here's the website for that: http://www.kdj-one.com/home#first
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a kickstarter backer for the KDJ-ONE. If you like, when I get mine, I'll post a full report! It's a couple of years later than anticipated owing to manufacturing issues, but other than that it is taking shape in a form even better than the original prototype, so I'm not too unhappy with that. It has its limitations, but within them it appears to work very well.

The Switch/Gadget combination? That's already on my personal shopping list. I have the DSN-12 and the M1d on my 3DS already, and Detune does a good job making usable software, so I'm on this like a politician on a lobbyist.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I'm a kickstarter backer for the KDJ-ONE. If you like, when I get mine, I'll post a full report! It's a couple of years later than anticipated owing to manufacturing issues, but other than that it is taking shape in a form even better than the original prototype, so I'm not too unhappy with that. It has its limitations, but within them it appears to work very well.

The Switch/Gadget combination? That's already on my personal shopping list. I have the DSN-12 and the M1d on my 3DS already, and Detune does a good job making usable software, so I'm on this like a politician on a lobbyist.

Ya it'd be awesome if you posted a review! The idea of integrating the engine into a DAW was alluring to me so I'd like to know more about that for sure. I'd also really like to know more about their synth. They have a youtube channel with some demo vids and it was nice to see a sophisticated step modulator.

An obvious limitation would be the six track regulation... at the same time that really doesn't seem too bad and working within limitations can inspire creative thinking. Plus the ability to export to a DAW and build ideas further is fantastic.

I can't stress how excited I am for Gadget on Switch. Sanodg is one of my heroes. Been rolling with Detune software since the original DS-10 days all the way to the M01D and DSN-12 like you. We already know this isn't their first rodeo with a Nintendo machine so I think they'll to a great job calibrating the software to work as smooth as possible.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I know so far:

It's basically a shrunken, portable workstation along the lines of a reduced-footprint Krome. It uses acid-type samples for rompler duties, but its synthesis functions include ringmod, FM and some sort of unison (among others). Each instrument has a few (four?) modulation elements that are built into it, plus filter with noise function.

Six tracks is a limitation, of course, but if you remember that a track can be a drumkit, or a multi-sample kit, or a polyphonic synth voice, it is plenty of room for a surprisingly strong set of sounds. Given that it can also import your own sounds, or take its own samples with its mic/line in ports, it's quite a potent little tool - or very nearly the ultimate musical sketchpad.

More details will obviously be forthcoming later.

The Switch, on paper, is about as powerful as a recent iPad, so I'm sure that they'll have lots of scope for making Gadget sound great. I have a lot of faith in them, and I would buy it on cartridge if they offered it.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:

https://youtu.be/B2epDK0Gnh4

a video from 3 years ago when the kickstarter was promoted..
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, of course I've seen that video.

That said, from what I understand they've been tweaking the software since then, and for example the arranger view is substantially updated. In a way it'll be cool to get new hardware, with non-beta software already on it. Other manufacturers *cough*Apple*cough* take note!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: