Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kor Pa4x & Roli Seabord

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Kor Pa4x & Roli Seabord Reply with quote

Hi friends:

Does anyone knows if it's possible to connect a Roli Seabord to PA4x the same way we connect Nanopad ?
I begin this topic because if that connection & correlative control is possible, this will expand our beast (pa4x).-
Perhaps technicians friends or Paolo could give some idea about it.-
With regards.
Eduardo
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Kor Pa4x & Roli Seabord Reply with quote

Eduardo_Arg wrote:
Hi friends:

Does anyone knows if it's possible to connect a Roli Seabord to PA4x the same way we connect Nanopad ?

According to an e-mail that I received from the tech support, only Korg controllers can be DIRECTLY connected to the USB port.

QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Kor Pa4x & Roli Seabord Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Eduardo_Arg wrote:
Hi friends:

According to an e-mail that I received from the tech support, only Korg controllers can be DIRECTLY connected to the USB port.

I expect that USB Class Compliant devices could work, and the roli seaboard is an usb class compliant device.

I have the Ipad connected to the usb on the pa4x, that works also flawlessly for midi, for instance, step sequencer apps on the ipad work, or even Arpeggiator apps (like the ones from yamaha) works flawlessly, i can play on the pa4x and the arps are generated on the ipad and routed to any internal midi channel you select in the app and that works for sounds, styles and songs. I use it quite a lot when playing dance styles on the pa4x, the ipad adds all kind of midi arp patterns based on what i play to the styles.

So that makes me think that the roli seaboard could also work. But then again, maybe they made an exception for the support of the ipad. I have multiple usb compliant devices in the studio so i will test that theory for you.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kor Pa4x & Roli Seabord Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:

I expect that USB Class Compliant devices could work, and the roli seaboard is an usb class compliant device....

Yes but the Pa4x isn't so you would need to use an adapter.

QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kor Pa4x & Roli Seabord Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
QuiRobinez wrote:

I expect that USB Class Compliant devices could work, and the roli seaboard is an usb class compliant device....

Yes but the Pa4x isn't so you would need to use an adapter.

true,

i've tested it,

ipad works
nanopad works

komplete kontrol keyboard doesn't work
generic keyboard doesn't work.
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Qui & Sam:

Thanks for your quick reply.-
If i don't misunderstud Roli won't work with PA4x.-
I also but taking in count what you've said, it won't work with Kronos.-
If so, what a pity.- I've seen some demos but i can't realize how they get such expresivity controls.-
Discarding Roli grand stage because of it's price, Roli should give and infinite power to expand musical horizons in tandem with Kronos & PA4x.
Thanks again for your knowledge.-
Eduardo
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Roli is more interested in selling you their sounds than in connectivity.
Understandable given that most of the Korg sounds wouldn't respond that well to the inputs anyway.
On the bright side you could have a neat setup with the iPhone version.
klaver69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4h3J2WHv7o

I have got working this with a Yama PSR s750.
Sina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you found out more about it? Has anyone tested it after OS next installation?

There are videos on YouTube that confirming Genos does work with seaboard, it's a shame if pa4x doesn't
Bernie9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may,or may not be relevant,but I use my DM48,a midi wind controller,in my Pa4X,and assign it to Upper 3. I does not need the Midi host either.

Bernie
Hammond SK1
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Roli’s big advantages simply don’t work on the Korg (or most older keyboards). Unless the keyboard has MPE (which are only just starting to come out with recently) then the things that make the Roli stand out, like different pressure for each note or different bending for each note simply can’t happen.

The Korg is strictly old school, controllers are per channel not per note.

So even if you could hook the two together (with a USB MIDI to regular MIDI converter, for instance), much of what makes the Roli great would be lost in translation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: