Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damping effect not even with some sounds?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbobothy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Damping effect not even with some sounds? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Not sure if the effect I'm hearing is trying to be realistic or a bug in the programming somewhere but on some sounds on my 88 SV1, eg. EP2 and Piano the majority of the keys are damped effectively when a staccato note is played, however up in the higher register (last 15 keys or so) there appears to be no damping effect when a staccato note is played. The sound is similar to when the sustain pedal is down.

Is that a qwerk in the system somewhere and similar on other folks SV1s?

Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly that is what acoustic pianos tend to do in the upper register. The damper has less effect there. Kronos' acoustic pianos play that way, too. Wouldn't expect it on the EPs though.
jimbobothy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did thank but not much I can do about it really.

If anyone else has a SV 1 88 could you compare it and see if it sounds similar to what I'm hearing please.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jimbo,

The first thing to be aware of is that acoustic pianos do not have a damper in the upper register. Check out this picture of my piano:

So on my piano from F6 upwards there is no damping effect when the key is released. Your SV-1 is simply emulating this feature.

The next thing to be aware of is your EP-2 sounds include some emulations of a reed electric piano - a Wurlitzer. These were not 88 key pianos, I'm not an expert but I think most of them were 64 key. So by including the no damper effect in the upper register, they're being a bit creative, because they can.

I think what you are really asking is "is my SV-1 supposed to be doing this?" If so, the answer is "yes".
jimbobothy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Yup, a good summary of what I’m asking so thanks. Nice to know my SV1 is not an oddball!

Peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: