Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing automated chords

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertaramar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Playing automated chords Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a new KRONOS user and just learning and setting up my new keyboard for the setlist of my band.
Coming from a Yamaha PSR-650S, I was used to let the keyboard play full chords by just pressing one or two keys.

C => C major, C + Eb => C minor, C + Bb => C7 etc. In addition to playing the straight chord, I would like to replicate that chord to two or one and half octaves (e.g. C-E-G-C-E).

I want to get that behaviour on the KRONOS but I don't seem to find a proper way to do that.

I know about the pads. I know I can either play the pads and assign all required chords for a song to the eigth pads. Eight pads should easily suffice for any song. However, I don't like the fact that I have to remember which chord is on which pad. I would rather prefer playing the base note of a chord because that is easier to remember or given on my sheets.

I know about the chord mode. But that leaves me with having to deal with two triggers. One to select the chord type (major, minor, 7) and the key for the base note. Not easy, to always get that in sync, especially when playing solos or brass licks on the right hand.

I know about KARMA. KARMA does chord detection, however, I haven't found a GE that only plays straight chords instead of any movements.

Am I looking in a wrong direction or am I really stuck here? Currently, I am looking into whether RPPR could solve that problem, but I am still struggling.

Any advise is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Robert
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing automated chords Reply with quote

robertaramar wrote:
Hi,

I'm a new KRONOS user and just learning and setting up my new keyboard for the setlist of my band.
Coming from a Yamaha PSR-650S, I was used to let the keyboard play full chords by just pressing one or two keys.

C => C major, C + Eb => C minor, C + Bb => C7 etc. In addition to playing the straight chord, I would like to replicate that chord to two or one and half octaves (e.g. C-E-G-C-E).

I want to get that behaviour on the KRONOS but I don't seem to find a proper way to do that.

I know about the pads. I know I can either play the pads and assign all required chords for a song to the eigth pads. Eight pads should easily suffice for any song. However, I don't like the fact that I have to remember which chord is on which pad. I would rather prefer playing the base note of a chord because that is easier to remember or given on my sheets.

I know about the chord mode. But that leaves me with having to deal with two triggers. One to select the chord type (major, minor, 7) and the key for the base note. Not easy, to always get that in sync, especially when playing solos or brass licks on the right hand.

I know about KARMA. KARMA does chord detection, however, I haven't found a GE that only plays straight chords instead of any movements.

Am I looking in a wrong direction or am I really stuck here? Currently, I am looking into whether RPPR could solve that problem, but I am still struggling.

Any advise is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Robert

I think you posted on FB.

I really like the Pads, I use them as needed for Song parts.

I am not clear on what your context is. Or what your end result might be.

With my Songs, I have a few parts where I rely on the Pads. I make sure to have a repeatable and simple sequence when using a Pad chord for a Program which is part of a Song.

If you are jamming around and want to establish some ' templates ' that would be somewhat easy. You have plenty of empty Program banks. Copy your favorite sounds to that. Fix your Pad chords as needed. Save it and title the custom Program to have some type of reference. Add these custom Programs into your Set List and type in additional text if needed.

No one ever said the Kronos was easy. we all have to dig in to make things work.

At some point, you might use the SEQ to play your recorded Programs, and to play along with them. Thats not your PSR approach, but I guess you might be trying to have some playalong stuff to work with.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one area where workstation and arranger diverge.
Backing chords and full accompaniment with interchangeable fills and intros.
I know pads can be assigned midi channels and I have a dim memory of seeing "note number" assignment to pads...?

If there is note number assignment, it could mean you assign a note to play a pad of chords. Then you just make the pad hold chords rooted in the note they are assigned to by note number. ?

Karma GE can be adjusted to limit the range of movement/arpeggiating.
Karma even works with pads in more ways than one. You will be amazed at what karma can do if you dig in and it is not easy at first and takes real effort to get over the climb to learning it well.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 779 parameter guide shows pads setup under midi page and and sub page for External 2.
You can assign a midi note or midi CC# but the guide says it sends the midi note and nothing said about pads receiving midi. Receiving midi note and data is how it would work for a note to sound off a pad with a chord assigned.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 782 parameter guide seems to say that pads can be setup under global mode controllers page. And set to note numbers or CC#.
Also says if received on golobal channel, the assigned midi notes or midi CC's can trigger the pads.
I think setting pads to global channel and then set each pad to a note number that is the root note of the chord assigned to the pad.
If using external sound and midi , receive on midi in channel is the way to go. Internal sounds will be global channel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: