Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple admits to DELIBERATELY slowing phones down.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
I just think most of the negative comments about this are from Android users needing an excuse to make up for the exploding phones,

The people bring Apple to court are Apple users.

Regards
Sharp.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
At the same time, you're actually purposely slowing down replying speeds on this forum, where there is no need for it with the volume of traffic on this forum. Can't you see the irony (or contradiction??).

Just proves what I said in my last post. You really don't listen.

I hear you now Smile

(I remember a similar hat many a day in school, in the corner of the class!!).

And in seemingly these days a rare moment of agreement with you (!) - indeed it isn't just android users peeved with Apple - it's many Apple users these days too. They're just not the company they were, even, say, 5 years ago.

Whatever about the specifics of this particular issue; I'd argue that people are suspicious of Apple in general - they seem so self-serving on so many fronts that they are rapidly loosing credibility, in all quarters.

If it wasn't for using LPX, I'd have abandoned Apple "everything" by now - I'm starting to use Ableton too, and if I can see myself using it as my main DAW, Apple will be history in my setup.
jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The people bring Apple to court are Apple users

They would have to be Apple users of course, but i'm talking about the ones talking on this thread about the specifics of the phones like if it really matters enough to ditch apple products. As long as i can use all my Korg Apps on my devices i am good.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
Quote:
The people bring Apple to court are Apple users

They would have to be Apple users of course, but i'm talking about the ones talking on this thread about the specifics of the phones like if it really matters enough to ditch apple products. As long as i can use all my Korg Apps on my devices i am good.

Read the list of issues with Apple product issues I flagged in an earlier post - and if you care to take the time - explain how those issues are OK.

I'm a Apple user who was a huge Apple advocate until quite recently. I could easily double the length of that list with significant issues associated, widely, with Apple products; while from the forums I've visited over the past few years, I'd be confident in saying that the majority of Apple users are disgruntled with the company - but only in the last few years.

There are real issues; they affect most Apple users, they are widely flagged across the Web and by analysists; and there is no default "Apple bashing" going on for the sake of it here.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:

Sorry I didn't pick up on that.
Just because it's Apple that got caught deosn't make me any happier. Any company caught doing this should be exposed and sued. I don't really care who it is so long as they are not allowed to do it again.

Regards
Sharp.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my iPhone 6 qualifies for a cheaper battery (got till December 2018 too)

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

===============================

December 28, 2017

A Message to Our Customers about iPhone Batteries and Performance
We’ve been hearing feedback from our customers about the way we handle performance for iPhones with older batteries and how we have communicated that process. We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down. We apologize. There’s been a lot of misunderstanding about this issue, so we would like to clarify and let you know about some changes we’re making.
First and foremost, we have never — and would never — do anything to intentionally shorten the life of any Apple product, or degrade the user experience to drive customer upgrades. Our goal has always been to create products that our customers love, and making iPhones last as long as possible is an important part of that.

How batteries age
All rechargeable batteries are consumable components that become less effective as they chemically age and their ability to hold a charge diminishes. Time and the number of times a battery has been charged are not the only factors in this chemical aging process.

Device use also affects the performance of a battery over its lifespan. For example, leaving or charging a battery in a hot environment can cause a battery to age faster. These are characteristics of battery chemistry, common to lithium-ion batteries across the industry.

A chemically aged battery also becomes less capable of delivering peak energy loads, especially in a low state of charge, which may result in a device unexpectedly shutting itself down in some situations.
To help customers learn more about iPhone’s rechargeable battery and the factors affecting its performance, we’ve posted a new support article, iPhone Battery and Performance.

It should go without saying that we think sudden, unexpected shutdowns are unacceptable. We don’t want any of our users to lose a call, miss taking a picture or have any other part of their iPhone experience interrupted if we can avoid it.

Preventing unexpected shutdowns
About a year ago in iOS 10.2.1, we delivered a software update that improves power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE. With the update, iOS dynamically manages the maximum performance of some system components when needed to prevent a shutdown. While these changes may go unnoticed, in some cases users may experience longer launch times for apps and other reductions in performance.

Customer response to iOS 10.2.1 was positive, as it successfully reduced the occurrence of unexpected shutdowns. We recently extended the same support for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in iOS 11.2.
Of course, when a chemically aged battery is replaced with a new one, iPhone performance returns to normal when operated in standard conditions.
Recent user feedback

Over the course of this fall, we began to receive feedback from some users who were seeing slower performance in certain situations. Based on our experience, we initially thought this was due to a combination of two factors: a normal, temporary performance impact when upgrading the operating system as iPhone installs new software and updates apps, and minor bugs in the initial release which have since been fixed.
We now believe that another contributor to these user experiences is the continued chemical aging of the batteries in older iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s devices, many of which are still running on their original batteries.
Addressing customer concerns

We’ve always wanted our customers to be able to use their iPhones as long as possible. We’re proud that Apple products are known for their durability, and for holding their value longer than our competitors’ devices.
To address our customers’ concerns, to recognize their loyalty and to regain the trust of anyone who may have doubted Apple’s intentions, we’ve decided to take the following steps:

Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.
Early in 2018, we will issue an iOS software update with new features that give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone’s battery, so they can see for themselves if its condition is affecting performance.
As always, our team is working on ways to make the user experience even better, including improving how we manage performance and avoid unexpected shutdowns as batteries age.

At Apple, our customers’ trust means everything to us. We will never stop working to earn and maintain it. We are able to do the work we love only because of your faith and support — and we will never forget that or take it for granted.

=======================

Tony

JOHN 3:16
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
jbeliz wrote:

Sorry I didn't pick up on that.
Just because it's Apple that got caught deosn't make me any happier. Any company caught doing this should be exposed and sued. I don't really care who it is so long as they are not allowed to do it again.

Regards
Sharp.

Exactly!
It's not about apple, but rather any manufacturer vs consumer where
Manufacturer are deliberately degrading performance of the consumer owned products, as a re-solution to either a defect or a normal use issue, without informing/warning the user or giving them the option like power profiles. The whole fiasco lies in who makes the decision.

Since I might have been misunderstood before, I am against manufactures deciding to underclock your machine without your consent.
Underclocking is different than load balancing/ throttling and can cripple users system. You restrict the CPU and other components to a certain level so they run cooler and consume less energy ar the cost of performance they were meant to deliver. For e.g. your 1.8 GHz / 800 MHz kronos starts running at 1.4 GHz, / 667 or even lower. You will see degraded performance.

No throttling to load balancing is going to increase the speed / resources.
This was fraud 20 or so years back. One of the primary hardware vendor (a third party and not the manufacfurer) at a client deliberately underclocked the nodes causing users to complain and forcing the company for a costly upgrade path. I am talking about 4500-5000 nodes.

Not saying apple or anyone else is doing that, but from what was implied if they are then it's a very bad move considering that the end user is/was kept unaware of it.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthonyB wrote:
Well, my iPhone 6 qualifies for a cheaper battery (got till December 2018 too)

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

===============================

December 28, 2017

A Message to Our Customers about iPhone Batteries and Performance
We’ve been hearing feedback from our customers about the way we handle performance for iPhones with older batteries and how we have communicated that process. We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down. We apologize. There’s been a lot of misunderstanding about this issue, so we would like to clarify and let you know about some changes we’re making.
First and foremost, we have never — and would never — do anything to intentionally shorten the life of any Apple product, or degrade the user experience to drive customer upgrades. Our goal has always been to create products that our customers love, and making iPhones last as long as possible is an important part of that.

How batteries age
All rechargeable batteries are consumable components that become less effective as they chemically age and their ability to hold a charge diminishes. Time and the number of times a battery has been charged are not the only factors in this chemical aging process.

Device use also affects the performance of a battery over its lifespan. For example, leaving or charging a battery in a hot environment can cause a battery to age faster. These are characteristics of battery chemistry, common to lithium-ion batteries across the industry.

A chemically aged battery also becomes less capable of delivering peak energy loads, especially in a low state of charge, which may result in a device unexpectedly shutting itself down in some situations.
To help customers learn more about iPhone’s rechargeable battery and the factors affecting its performance, we’ve posted a new support article, iPhone Battery and Performance.

It should go without saying that we think sudden, unexpected shutdowns are unacceptable. We don’t want any of our users to lose a call, miss taking a picture or have any other part of their iPhone experience interrupted if we can avoid it.

Preventing unexpected shutdowns
About a year ago in iOS 10.2.1, we delivered a software update that improves power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE. With the update, iOS dynamically manages the maximum performance of some system components when needed to prevent a shutdown. While these changes may go unnoticed, in some cases users may experience longer launch times for apps and other reductions in performance.

Customer response to iOS 10.2.1 was positive, as it successfully reduced the occurrence of unexpected shutdowns. We recently extended the same support for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in iOS 11.2.
Of course, when a chemically aged battery is replaced with a new one, iPhone performance returns to normal when operated in standard conditions.
Recent user feedback

Over the course of this fall, we began to receive feedback from some users who were seeing slower performance in certain situations. Based on our experience, we initially thought this was due to a combination of two factors: a normal, temporary performance impact when upgrading the operating system as iPhone installs new software and updates apps, and minor bugs in the initial release which have since been fixed.
We now believe that another contributor to these user experiences is the continued chemical aging of the batteries in older iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s devices, many of which are still running on their original batteries.
Addressing customer concerns

We’ve always wanted our customers to be able to use their iPhones as long as possible. We’re proud that Apple products are known for their durability, and for holding their value longer than our competitors’ devices.
To address our customers’ concerns, to recognize their loyalty and to regain the trust of anyone who may have doubted Apple’s intentions, we’ve decided to take the following steps:

Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.
Early in 2018, we will issue an iOS software update with new features that give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone’s battery, so they can see for themselves if its condition is affecting performance.
As always, our team is working on ways to make the user experience even better, including improving how we manage performance and avoid unexpected shutdowns as batteries age.

At Apple, our customers’ trust means everything to us. We will never stop working to earn and maintain it. We are able to do the work we love only because of your faith and support — and we will never forget that or take it for granted.

=======================

Tony

Good job apple, but all the fissco could've been avoided if this you did this in the first place. And mentioning that you were using actual consumers as crash test dummies without their consent (10.2.1) is also not that great of an idea.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have always been a 'buyer beware' person.

I never follow the herd, either.

Apple is skilled at marketing and getting into peoples heads that they must have latest/greatest iPhone to be cool, relevant, show off to their friends, brag on Facebook.

And all that is bunch of silly superficial bull s**t IMO

I also think knowledge is our friend. If my iPhone 6 started to drag, I would suspect the battery or shitty apps, etc, etc. And tackle that before dishing
out $800 . And yes, I would spend $79 on a new battery vs $800 on a new iPhone.

Big duh there, IMO.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Apple is all about huge profits, tax evasion, and removing important features from their products.

Fixed. Very Happy
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Apple is skilled at marketing and getting into peoples heads that they must have latest/greatest iPhone to be cool, relevant, show off to their friends, brag on Facebook.

I also think knowledge is our friend. If my iPhone 6 started to drag, I would suspect the battery or shitty apps, etc, etc. And tackle that before dishing

Big duh there, IMO.

Apple just lowered the battery replacement price for iphone 6 and iphone 6s to $29
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
GregC wrote:

Big duh there, IMO.

Apple just lowered the battery replacement price for iphone 6 and iphone 6s to $29

yes, I noticed that battery offer- starting in January.

My context was prior to all this noise, when that kit was $79. IOW, it was a 'what if' as in how I would have reacted to slowing IOS, etc, etc.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used Apple Products,never really had a problem,But I never upgrade because they might be performing slower,both my iMac (2011 model) and Macbook 2013 model)are used for Music other than the odd bug fix I never upgraded them to the Latest OS that Apple keep releasing other than RAM upgrades they are still as they were when i bought them and both work and perform as Perfect as the day they were first used and they have been used on a daily basis since,and other than bugfixes are the same OS I'm still using an iPhone 3 too,I don't feel any need to upgrade it,it does what I need a phone for and thats it,I couldn't give a hoot if some Apps I may like are not compatible with the OS,I can live without them if a 0.99 app is going to cost me £xxx for a new phone????

I find it funny that people are surprised by the slowing down the technology in order to make people upgrade,this sort of ideology has been happening with computer technology for a long time and its not just Apple who are guilty of it,One of the things that really makes me laugh about technology these days are the users who claim the facial recognition and fingerprint security are brilliant but when I've asked them would they be willing to give up their Liberty by also allowing the Police to fingerprint or take photos of them to keep as Database info they say no because "I'm not a criminal" but I then say to them,well your happy to submit it to your phone so what's the difference the information can be accessed if the Authorites want that info.SMART technology....Exactly what it is...S.urveiilance.M.arketed.A.s.R.evolutionary.T.echnology

This is rife in all types of technology,People will be coming out next saying they are shocked about SMART TVs and they weren't aware they are able to spy on people,when will people wake up to this crap,The same as all these types of Social media.... they weren't conceived by some lone Geeky guy in his shed trying to connect with old friends,there is a Psychology behind all this surveillance that the sheep of this world just follow they have been created for a reason,before you know it your liberty and freedom will be taken away and there will be nothing you can do about it because its been readily accepted without the need for your consent.
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use iPad at full display brightness. I can confirm that my iPad 3 works very slowly. And in addition to that constantly reloading programs if you switch from one program to another and back like if it has very little amount of RAM.

It was not when i bought it.

Also iPad is my main recording video device and i recently got Final Cut Pro X and it shows that iPad records lesser then 30 Frames. Like 27.34. lol.
And this gives me issues with syncing sound sound which was recorded with external audio equipment but non with crappy iPad microphone.

As i know Apple said they slow down old devices so battery can last longer. Which i think i would agree in some cases. But why they put such crappy battery which does not last very long?!!

P.s. But here is the thing, i do not want to do hypocrisy! I do think other companies are even worse then Apple so it is not like Apple is bad guy and Samsung is fantastic or other countless s**t companies (like Xiaomi and so on) which are even worse then Apple but nobody talks about them.

But i point to these issues because i like Apple and i want Apple fix these issues.

Also most if not all of them who crying loud about Apple issues have nothing to do of wishing Apple best and trying to help them to fix problems! But they just make money out of tragedies! For example patent trolling is a large business in USA and fraudsters can make huge money out of thin air!!! Lawyers getting huge money out of these cases too no matter who wins and who loses.
Places which post these scandal news getting big views so they get more profit out of Ads.

And so on.

The last thing they want that Apple would be runned by Jesus Christ so they will not be able to find even one smallest issue!!!
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in ios 11.3 in the spring, youll have the option to turn power manager off if your battery is fine.

Quote:
This latest update includes a feature that shows the health of your phone's battery, as well as if it needs to be serviced. What's more, users will be able to see if that power management feature is turned on, and toggle it off if they so choose.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/24/ios-11-3-battery-arkit-health-records/

Tony.

JOHN 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: