Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No countdown? - No new Korg workstation!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skinmechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working in the industry i know that workstation sales have fallen in the last 10 years as DAWS have become more reliable it’s not one vs the other, but the majority of young artists don’t go for workstations. They are brought up using outboard controllers and workflows that wasn’t around ten years ago. The FA has been good for Roland for a mid range workstation which is the price point they need to be in to appeal to the masses as they did years ago. Workstations work well live and are still more reliable than using a laptop for sure in some situations.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinmechanic wrote:
Working in the industry i know that workstation sales have fallen in the last 10 years as DAWS have become more reliable it’s not one vs the other, but the majority of young artists don’t go for workstations. They are brought up using outboard controllers and workflows that wasn’t around ten years ago. The FA has been good for Roland for a mid range workstation which is the price point they need to be in to appeal to the masses as they did years ago. Workstations work well live and are still more reliable than using a laptop for sure in some situations.

Thats what I have saying and/or thinking.

I think Roland is smart- they listened to their customers. Buyers that had their DAWS and were creating music and samples on it.

With the FA , we can bring in samples from a DAW and assign them to the Pads.

Thats just an example how folks want 'apply a w/s' in what I call ' cross platforming '.

I don't much believe in 'wish lists ' and waiting around for nothing or something to happen by a manufacturer. The market is evolving and changing every year.

And lower cost and lower retail price is a big deal for attracting new buyers.

Finally, and this might upset some- we have at least 3 generations of keyboard owners. Each with their own core preference.

We have folks in their 60's. Followed by folks/buyers in their 40's. Finally
we have younger keyboard musicians in their 20's/30's.

I am not expert, and I am generalizing. But I suspect each group has core preferences of what they expect from a keyboard. I am not referring to ' exceptions ' . There will always be exceptions.

Plus we have variation in core preference , home studio vs gigging musician.

This might be why I think Roland is smart with the FA. They are not appealing to the ' all in 1 ' work station crowd. They played that niche 10-20-30 yrs ago.
They know what the result was.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Jan1 wrote:
Bachus wrote:
And all the rest, left the workstation theatre

But maybe not permanently?

And Roland has proprietary technologies spread across different product lines which could make their way into a new workstation.
Besides that, this year it's exactly ten years since the Fantom G was introduced.

some are overlooking Rolands FA workstation.

Yes i am, reason?
I think its middel of the road.. a bit workstation, a bit performance synth and a bit stagepiano... and despite that missing to many features to be an all in one...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
GregC wrote:
Jan1 wrote:
Bachus wrote:
And all the rest, left the workstation theatre

But maybe not permanently?

And Roland has proprietary technologies spread across different product lines which could make their way into a new workstation.
Besides that, this year it's exactly ten years since the Fantom G was introduced.

some are overlooking Rolands FA workstation.

Yes i am, reason?
I think its middel of the road.. a bit workstation, a bit performance synth and a bit stagepiano... and despite that missing to many features to be an all in one...

Haven't caught up with all the details in your prior post.

Folks are using their DAWS for sample creation. Which is why ( I think) Roland does not have the full fledged sampler that you would expect.

I didn't want to beat on the FA 61 keybed constantly. Its a budget keybed, plain and simple. I have the FA-07 which is a nice synth action keyboard.

The FA has 16 part Studio sets. I thought you were aware of this.

A single ARP, I suppose is a limit. That 'limit ' does not bother me. We are back to folks using DAWs for patterns again.

It ' should ' play all the Integra sounds on the Axial site. At least thats what their demo guy says. The Axial site is excellent for more EXP sounds- these are a step up in many cases . And they are FREE. No gunky license rules.

Not trying to sell anyone on the FA. Its not an all in 1. Its not priced that way obviously. I think its a very good value for what it does. Once I get a few months on the FA , I can expand on its strengths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: