Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bugs still in Quick layer page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Bugs still in Quick layer page Reply with quote

I used quick layer finally -for a real project since i first updated to the the OS version for it around a year ago. I recall bug issues and i waited for the second version of quick layer update before i updated.

So a year later, i finally used it when i was on a factory program EP writing a new song. Once i had a good song foundation feeling right under my fingers, i decided to layer the sound for bigger feel.
Quick layer -and then i found something to add iand wrote the layer into a Combi and picked it up in combi for a 3rd layer and finally today i think i am done at 6 layers including drum track.

Right from day one of moving the quick layer to combi mode, i had issues with a ghost piano coming in with my notes every minute or so. It would come in for a second and be gone. Loud enough to overwhelm the whole sound, and then be gone for another minute.

Day one i decide to initialize the program and just copy from program to combi and leave quick layer out of it. Still same issue. So i continued my creative flow and ignored it.
Then day 2 i made progress and decided to trouble shoot, turned off Karma and looked at the midi channel settings. Made some changes and still the same issue.

Today is day three -so i finish my combi and like the end resulting sound. But still that ghost piano.
All unused timbres are turned off and set to mute. Karma has midi I/0 set to ch16 on all sides of all modules and channel 16 in timbre line up is off.
I also disabled karma run and cleared out the GE option setting. Then zoned out every zone to G9 top and bottom to G9. Timbre thru is off in every place it is offered. I went through and took out everything in GE setup page and also have karma switch turned off.
Still the same ghost piano every minute.

I now think for sure it has to be a bug. Even after initializing the combi and starting over again without quick layer, the bug remains.
I went to quick layer page and turned off “Use Karma” setting. I have no USB midi device connected and my 5pin midi cables are to a device on drum track channel which is not tied to a piano sound timbre. It is tied to a drum kit program timbre.
Nothing points to where the piano is coming from except a ghost in the machine. A bug. It comes in periodically, not constant and over a rather long period in song length frame of time. So not so much my finger playing doing it.

Is Quick layer still buggy? I think so and so bad that i cannot even recover the combi by initializing it and starting fresh without quick layer page involved.

I will try to rebuild the same combi in a new combi slot tomorrow and leave out quick layer again. And see if the issue is not in every initialized slot i move to.
My other old combis were fine when i went to play them, so not all combi slots have the ghost piano. Thats why i searched hard for it in Karma settings and timbre parameter settings. I will even search more tomorrow just in case it isn’t a bug.

Really bad if using quick layer can permanently put a ghost piano into a combi slot, where even a reinitialize of the combi for a fresh start will change nothing. What happens when i use quick layer in every combi slot and run out of non bugged out combi slots? A totalled Kronos would be the deal.
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in the midi filtering pages. Maybe something in there that’s causing the weirdness that you can disable.

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
Just got back from a few hours riding the Kronos down to Nowhere.
I ticked over all the karma midi filters and still not luck.

I then opened a new combi slot and rebuilt it in the new slot without using Quick layer.
The only program i copied from program was the I-C-055 Mod-7 EP. That had to happen to get the right IFX page settings over into the combi. Copied over without Karma but with drum track.
The rest of the timbre were scrolled up in the timbre Program view/cell.

Same problem in the next combi. So now i am doubting it came up as a result of using quick layer or maybe it did and the bug is so bad it affects all the empty combis i go to. ?
My old combis prior to this, they all still play fine without the ghost piano popping in every minute or so.
It is bypassing all volume and midi settings and finding its way in with regularity. If i play for less than the cycle of time it takes to come in, it will come in sooner the next time i start playing, as if it is sticking to a schedule and picking up where it left off on the schedule whenever i come back to play again.
It is not reseting its pattern with the keys. It has its own cycle and sticks to it no matter what. Whatever clock it follows, is stopped and started by my use of keys, but no resetting of the clock seems to happen. I will have to see if power down and reboot will reset the clock it is following. But powerdown has not made it go away.

I saved my new combi to PCG and reloaded it from disk mode and that did not cure it.

I go to the combi slotted programs in their program mode slots and none of them have this problem in program mode.
I spent hours playing between program and combi mode, working settings and doing saves and then reloads of the combis from disk mode. No luck at all.

Only thing i had in mind but i have not yet tried, is to load the PCG set from before this happened and then start fresh on the empty combi slots and leave out the quick layer part.

I may be fooling myself if the bug is not in the PCG data but in the deeper system where it seems to be bypassing midi and volume settings as well as following a strange time cycle that does not reset but does start and stop according to my playing.

Also the time cycle it comes in on is so long that it takes a good while of playing after i try a setting change, a new loading or reconstruction in new slot. That turns a quick edit here and there into an ordeal of over a minute of playing before i can see if any results.
No results today after 3 hours at kronos.

I have nothing but an iPad with no way to upload the combi file for anyone to infect their kronos with, to see if anyone could figure something out. Probably best not share the file.
No way right now to use the CDs to reset kronos either.

I will get back go it and try an old PCG load and rebuild the Combi manually there. It gets crazy playing the same song over and over again for hours
I built the combi around one song.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is it for me.
Same problem in Sequencer mode. Same problem when substitute the orginal sound the combi was built around. I have switched out every sound to contrast. no luck.

No luck after loading factory file and starting fresh.

No problems in Program mode, only in Layer mode like combi or sequencer.

It is a bug. I think it came from Quick layer page.

I will have to wait to find a CD rom spinner so i can try a CD reset of Kronos. I hope i brought my kronos CD’s with me.
I hope the CD reset works.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinstalled the 3.1.2 update and no change in luck.

Not sure the CD will work but already i am backing up files to External USB to be ready whenever i find a CD rom drive to connect to.
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your receiving some kind of midi message from your computer or other gear? If you have anything connected to your Kronos midi ports, then unplug everything and restart. Actually, best to disconnect everything on all ports just to see if you can isolate the problem. Good Luck!

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kid_nepro_2002 wrote:
Maybe your receiving some kind of midi message from your computer or other gear? If you have anything connected to your Kronos midi ports, then unplug everything and restart. Actually, best to disconnect everything on all ports just to see if you can isolate the problem. Good Luck!

I have done that. Disconnected all USB and midi cables.

I got my kronos after the last firmware update. 2015 firmware was issued but i got my Kronos new around early 2016. Chances are that my kronos was on a retailer warehouse shelf when the firmware came out and then it shipped to me months later without the last firmware.
So now i am looking into trying the firmware update just in case my Kronos came out of the box without the last firmware update.
I read it covers the subsystem, the part aside from the main CPU. And the article said the subsystem just so happens to be where midi part of the system is processed, separate from where OS is processed. So talking about midi signals gone rogue and then reading that the subsystem processor is where the midi of the system is handled. Firmware is all about the subsystem, according to what i read.

Tough part is I do not have a laptop which i don't really need except for now in this one time Firmware update situation. A lot of money to buy a laptop just to update firmware and then no guarantee that will solve the problem.

And i am on extended vacation by the beach outside my home country , now where i have few friends.

I guess i should buy a case of drinks and order some pizza and start treating the friendly people here in town.... If i want to get into a laptop before sundown.
I have the USB-A to USB-B cable and the firmware downloaded to my Kronos use USB stick. I read i may need something called BIOS and the USB driver of kronos installed on the laptop...?

Thanks again.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad news again.

Firmware System updater reads “Aleady the latest version”..

So i will move on to the CDs now.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos won’t respond to the CD in the laptop DVD drive.
I don’t know how to get it to work from the laptop DVD drive.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOL.
Got a DVD player and no response when following the parmeter guide instructions. I guess my kronos is not so messed up that it diverts to the DVD USB feed at startup.
I don’t get a dialogie box or anything, it just goes straight into a normal, clean and smooth boot up.
Why would it detour to the DVD feed when it functions ok?

Anyway i am still stuck with the glitch but at least my old combis are free from it. Only new combis get the glitch.

I will now try copying over an old combi with no glitch and manually changing the programs in the old combi timbres to see if i can bypass the glitch while refurbishing old combis into new ones.

Also i guess i should have initialized the orginal program that i used quick layer in, when ahis glitch forst showed up. Intitialize it and reload it from original Factory PCG.

It is the best i can do when my firmware is up to date and the recovery disc are useless on a device that powers on to a normal, clean and smooth boot up.

I hope an OS update comes soon with a fix. Because i am stuck with having to make new combis that come with complimentary and extra loud ghost notes every minute or so.

Should i call a priest, the exorcism type that expunge polergeists and the sort?
Rigel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if your Kronos boots up okay from the SSD, If a bootable DVD is in your DVD drive, then your Kronos will boot from the DVD and come up with a menu.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Even if your Kronos boots up okay from the SSD, If a bootable DVD is in your DVD drive, then your Kronos will boot from the DVD and come up with a menu.

Thanks. Good to know that. Not sure what went wrong but i suspected it could have been the DVD player. I tried the DVD player on the same laptop i used to try the firmware update, but no response with a menu box on kronos boot up screen. I also got a stand alone DVD player with a USB port on the front face, and same issue of no response from kronos on the boot up screen.

I have given up. I will just play my kronos as it is and wait until i am in the right place to pull together what i need to make it work.
I drove 8 days from nearly the mid section of USA to far down Mexico, around the mid latitude of Mexico. My language skills are only half way, getting the right DVD or the right anything is slim chances here. I try to not even buy tiny simple USB thumb drives here because they sell only the cheapest unreliable brands almost every where here. Finding quality brands takes effort and even a long drive to a far off city plus possible long waits for orders to arrive after a round or two of botched delivery.

I think i will give up and wait until i get back to USA. I am not gigging or using kronos for any projects under demand or contract. My Kronos will probably end up going straight to storage when i get back to USA beacause i wont have much time to do the run-around with it to sort out the issue. I will have just a week in USA and then hop a flight out of the country for 6 months.

I may not be able to get to it until 2019 or possibly later, unless korg comes up with an update that just so happens to address the problem. Or maybe i get lucky with runnning into the right kind of dvd player.

Still no guarantee anything i try will solve the problem, so i am going to just play kronos with the glitch until something comes my way rather than running around putting so much focus on it. I gave it a full day yesterday and half a day the day before and quite a few hours out of the two days prior.

I am Still open to any info/replies here. Anything that comes my way is worth learning from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: