Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Sound Combinations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Interesting Sound Combinations Reply with quote

What interesting sound combinations have you found that work really well.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good question,

the keyboard set feature gives lot's of possibilities to create your own sound combining factory sounds. There are some great examples in the pad area of the keyboard sets.

In my case i take four approaches in keyboard sets:
1: layering sounds to create new sounds, for instance the most used one is a piano plus pad sound)
2: split keyboard sets, for instance the bass on the lower half of the keyboard and the electric piano sounds on the right side of the keyboard
3: performance keyboard sets, where the three upper sounds are quite different for a performance and to give more access to different sounds that way in a style. For instance, upper 1: piano, upper 2: guitar, upper 3: synth pad.
4: layering sounds in a keyboard set where the sounds are modified in the style or song. For instance a flute on upper 1 and a bell sound on upper 2. In the style i change the attack of the bell sound so when i play the flute and the bell sound together in that style than you hear a flute where a bell sound slowly add some atmosphere in the the flute sound.

I think most people are using method 1 and 2. But method 4 is for me the most interesting part of using the same keyboard set in different kind of styles / songs.

A list of interesting combinations:
- Flute / Bell
- Guitar / Pad
- Piano / Pad
- Piano / Electric Piano
- Synth lead / marimba (for the attack)
- Saxophone / Sine Lead
- Pad / Strings
- Pad / Electric Piano
- String / Choir
- String / Violin
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Sounds Reply with quote

Even though we have 1000s of sounds at our fingertips I find myself homing in on the same sounds.
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Keyboard Sets Reply with quote

I'm a little confused about keyboard sets.
As I understand a keyboard sets are a snap shot of sounds that you have selected at one time. These are in turn used in a Songbook Entry ?
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Keyboard Sets Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
I'm a little confused about keyboard sets.
As I understand a keyboard sets are a snap shot of sounds that you have selected at one time. These are in turn used in a Songbook Entry ?

keyboard sets are groups of sounds that work great together for usage in styles and songs. These are just pointers to the original programs for upper 1, upper 2, upper 3 and lower 1.

Now when you create or modify a style / song you can assign four groups of keyboard sets to it, which you can use to switch to during the performance of your style / song. So for instance the first keyboard set can be a piano for upper 1 and a pad sound for upper 2. The second keyboard set can be a guitar. In that case you can switch between the sounds by selecting the keyboard set that you want to play during your song.

But this is just the beginning , in style and song mode you can use that specific keyboard set and then modify the upper and lower songs to your liking (so other ADSR, different cutoffs, specific effects, etc). Then you bring the keyboard sets to another level specially suited for that song or style.

An example, let say you have selected a keyboard set with a piano and pad sound. Normally you would have a standard piano pad sound. But in the style / song you could change this sound to for instance a reverb on the piano and a phaser effect on the pad. It's still the same keyboard set as before, but it will sound totally different for that specific style or song.

The sky is the limit this way and you can create so many unique variations in sounds just by doing it this way. It's very powerful and has lots of possibilities to bring your own ideas to live.

There are a lot of tricks you can use in the pa4x, just to mention a few:
- Insert a compressor on the drums in a style or song, this makes the feel of the drums quite different with the correct settings
- muting accompaniment channels can also change the feeling of a style
- during play use the density KAOS effect with the shift button pressed and then a left lower screen press to make your patterns less busy, this way you can easely build op your own song.
- set the faders on your pa4x to ASSIGN B mode, this way you can use the faders for the cutoff and resonance on the selected sound which can add a lot of performance power for your build up while playing the song.
- Set te inversion bass button to ON, this way you can determine during play which bass note it will play instead of the chord root note bass.

These are just a few, there are tons of tricks which brings your pa4x to another level.
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Keyboards Sets Reply with quote

You should be employed by Korg we need some decent tutorials.
It's the Pa700 that I own, but am sure I can adapt what you say.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyboards Sets Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
You should be employed by Korg we need some decent tutorials.
It's the Pa700 that I own, but am sure I can adapt what you say.

as far as i know, almost anything a pa4x can do, can be done the same on the pa700, even most of the sounds and styles are the same when i saw the pa700 demo here in the store. (although the italian piano was missing on that model).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: