Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

01/W or 01R/w alternatives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: 01/W or 01R/w alternatives Reply with quote

What other korg ai2 Workstation would be the closest to 01/W ?

Want to buy 01/w type keyboard,
but I don’t need sequencer or wave shaping etc.
so, program, combi, multi modes would be enough for me.
But I want all the programs of 01/W.

Was also looking at rack versions at x5dr, heard it has about half of the sounds of 01/w plus more but not all the sounds of 01/w or 01rw.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 01/W or 01R/w alternatives Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:

Was also looking at rack versions at x5dr, heard it has about half of the sounds of 01/w plus more but not all the sounds of 01/w or 01rw.

Nothing's gonna scratch that itch like the real thing, and the waveshaping is vital in capturing it's character and some of it's programs....generally the later Ai2 units are considered a bit inferior to the flagship of the series(01/W).

A dude on another forum I frequent got an 01/W and put waveshaping through it's paces, I've been a user for a long time and I was blown away by his experimentation:

https://soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle/korg-01w-waveshaping-demo
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: 01/W or 01R/w alternatives Reply with quote

John01W wrote:
Vadim wrote:

Nothing's gonna scratch that itch like the real thing, and the waveshaping is vital in capturing it's character and some of it's programs....generally the later Ai2 units are considered a bit inferior to the flagship of the series(01/W).

A dude on another forum I frequent got an 01/W and put waveshaping through it's paces, I've been a user for a long time and I was blown away by his experimentation:

https://soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle/korg-01w-waveshaping-demo

Thanks, I feared such answer haha.

I’m not really into waveshaping part of it.

But is 03R/W and 05R/W closer to 01W than other synths like N5EX, N364, X5D, X3 etc ?
tux2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 01/W or 01R/w alternatives Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:

But is 03R/W and 05R/W closer to 01W than other synths like N5EX, N364, X5D, X3 etc ?

No, all the sounds of the 05R/W are also included in all of it's successors.
I used to have a 05R/W until it died due to leaking caps that corroded the traces on the board beyond repair (a very common problem with Korg synths from the early 90s) and replaced it with a X5DR which has all the exact same sounds.

I also have a N1R (the last Ai2 synth), and the N1R has all the waveforms and presets of the 05R/W and X5DR (and a lot more on top of that).

I would recommend buying a N1 or N1R as those are newest, so have the broadest range of waveforms and presets and are least likely to suffer from leaking caps (since they are much less old).
The circuit board of the N1R is actually mounted upside-down, maybe Korg did that so that leaking caps cannot corrode the traces? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: