Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4X OR GENOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late with this but just spent my first 2 hours on the Yamaha Genos (currently dropped in price here by $1,899)

Shocked
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
... feels much better as regards to the spacing and touch...but this may not bother you but worth a mention all the same + the yamaha is a lighter touch all round than the korg ....

I've yet to see a Genos in person. I really like Korg's full size keys with heavier touch in general so that would be a bummer for me. Still I'm VERY curious.

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
I'm a bit late with this but just spent my first 2 hours on the Yamaha Genos (currently dropped in price here by $1,899)

Shocked

How are the Pianos/EPs and orchestral sounds in general?

DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent about five hours with the Genos. It is a fine Yamaha arranger, the best they have made.
Having said this, there is no way I would trade my PA4x even for one. Well I might, then sell it and buy two more Korgs! Smile
The operating features on the 4x are nearly perfect for live performance. Everything is easy to find and easy to reach. Drums are still WAY better than the Genos, and the Vocal Processor/Harmonizer is miles ahead of the Yammy.
I am thoroughly familiar with both operating systems, and the Yamaha has only ONE advantage, and that is the ability to play everything from USB, without going through extra steps. In all other ways the Korg system is easier to learn and use.
Haven't even mentioned all the programmable controls, the EC5 foot controller, the touch strip, KAOSS, the wonderful MAXX e.q. capabilities and the great Songbook.
Regarding sounds...Korg has finally got the guitars as good as Yamaha. I do not personally like the way Yamaha does too much for you. I want to be more in control of my guitar bends, sax sounds, etc.
It's hard to argue over sounds as each brand excels in some categories and falls a little short in others. And, as mentioned, sounds are very subjective. Nothing wrong with any Yamaha sounds except perhaps the organ sims.
Yamaha has a vast array of styles, both factory and third-party. But I find the Korg styles more realistic and useful. They sound like a live band, and Yamaha more like a CD player. Again, your choice.
Didn't mean to write a book here, but I tried HARD to like the Genos more, and it wasn't really close. And we haven't even discussed the price difference.
usaraiya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with Don. I was fascinated with the Genos but after learning it, I preferred the PA4X overall!

So, I sold the Genos and bought a Ketron SD9 instead as a 2nd KB as its OS is completely different from the Genos and the PA4X and its launch pad functions are great, not seen on Genos or PA4X, so it complements my PA4X, and does not replace it, and does away with the redundancy of the Genos & PA4X.

Just my 2 cents!

Uday
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to rap on about this vs that but here are some brief comments about it....

My personal immediate reaction was shock.......
.....the keybed is hard and has a short-fall. The Tyros 5-76 and Tyros-4 were right next to the Genos so I compared - Tyros4 is nice - Tyros5-76 and Genos keybeds seemed identical.

OK - just my option here - no surprises.....
In general, it was very much another Tyros to me. (Its AI fingering is mental).
Styles have some truly amazing intros and endings but still the same repetitive VARs - sorry but there seems to be no chord variation in the VARs at all - I seriously spent time checking this.
Control surface is lacking for live performance (e.g. no bass inversion/tempo lock....and more...).
Bass hold is a nice feature.
Sounds didn't seem any more impressive than previous Tyros (4/5) but very nice.
Registrations are just history - never liked them on any keyboard
Screen is very nice although grey text on a darker grey background was odd.
Rear "ports panel" was clearly designed by a groovy artist (Dali perhaps? Wink ) - someone who doesn't play keyboards - for example, impossible to use "L" jacks.

Sounds were up to Tyros standard - very nice - strings and orchestral sounds were great.
I'm not a pianist but I much prefer PA4X factory pianos.
Hammond B3/Leslie emulation is the worst ever from Yamaha - earlier Tyros models were far better - seems like they dropped this one.
The Leslie (rotary) in particular is terrible and it is fast or slow - NOTHING in between???? Maybe there's some deep screen editing somewhere!!!!!
It was great to have the opportunity to play the Genos at last but again, purely from my perspective, it is way behind the Korg arrangers.

I can understand Tyros die-hards loving the Genos because it is really an updated Tyros - even the manuals are very similar.
Well at least they jumped into the 21st century with a joystick and touch-screen!!! (Strangely enough complained about by Tyros-lovers)

A nice but totally overpriced arranger but still not quite in the "professional" range of keyboards IMHO.

No arguments from me with anyone who adores it - it is all subjective and personal Very Happy

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

@Uday
Quote:
So, I sold the Genos and bought a Ketron SD9 instead as a 2nd KB as its OS is completely different from the Genos and the PA4X and its launch pad functions are great, not seen on Genos or PA4X, so it complements my PA4X, and does not replace it,

I am interested in the SD9 despite having the world's worst support for it here in Australia - if you get a moment, would love to hear your views.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in sound It just kills the 4 x, How it,s sound on stage like a live group is just amazing, Audio stles is the best on it, FX much better than 4 x, Display and look is the best on a KB.

KORG is a great KB BUT!!!
After so many Updates still not much to be amazed, So when you say just another TYROS, I say JUST another PA model there.
Both is great but overal PRO users chose GENOS

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Asena

As I said above "...No arguments from me with anyone who adores it - it is all subjective and personal....."

After years of Yamaha, Roland and Korg arrangers, Genos is just not there for me but glad you love it - that's what it's all about in the end Very Happy

Pete Very Happy
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asena wrote:
well in sound It just kills the 4 x,

Let's just focus on ONE of your assertions.

Can you please prove which sounds kill the 4x?

There are numerous videos on the interweb comparing the G to the 4x and there is NO clear winner. Please tell me you don't LOVE the Hammond simulation in the G?

Again, don't be a "Fan boy", just be objective and present facts like Pete did.
usaraiya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Pete,

I am impressed with the Live drums, live guitars, live percussion that the SD9 offers. The accompaniment sections is so customizable, as one can pick different types of guitars, horns, percussion, drums etc. for each part of the accompaniment. The Launchpad is a combo of sequencer and arranger as it contains best of both. Videos on you tube show the Launch pad in action.

The launch pad also accepts .wav audio files for vocals so if you have acapella samples, one can load them in the launch pad and bring them in as needed in songs.

Overall a great KB to supplement the 4X.

The owners manual is available on Ajamsonic.com and AJ also provides good email support and telephone support.

Uday Smile
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Uday

Thanks - I was so impressed with the Audya when it was announced and first demonstrated - I KNOW I would have bought one if it hadn't been for its serious bugs which seemed to take a long time to fix (by which time, Korg was well up there with its arrangers).
Unfortunately, we had one retailer/importer for the whole of the country - so no deals!!! and very scary support.
We may have a couple of retailers now but they are a "flight & accomodation" away from me.

One day I might be lucky enough to see and try the SD9 - I still like the Audya range...

Do you think the SD9 beats the Audya?

(Sorry - I'm a bit off topic!!!)

Pete Very Happy
usaraiya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pete,

The SD9 is the modernized version of Audya with its 3 USB ports up front, SSD instead of HD, and the new Launch Pad. I would venture to say that Audya was the most versatile legacy KB and SD9 is the new most versatile one now, but I wouldn't replace my 4X for it.

Uday Smile
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:

Can you please prove which sounds kill the 4x?

There are numerous videos on the interweb comparing the G to the 4x and there is NO clear winner. ....

Exactly! I've watched a few useless Pa4x vs. Genos videos, and I gave up. If there's a real good convincing video out there, I would LOVE to check it out. Some were even from reputable vendors and yet someone ding dongs a few notes on each keyboard and that's about it. These types of videos hardly prove anything.

I'm sure the G has beautiful sounds but to say it kills the Pa4x in all categories just like that ? Come on!

Bernie9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the SD9 beats the Audya?

Yes and no

Not in overall sound, which is non-compressed. The Audya has 4 sub outs, SPDIF, unlimited group registration slots, 2 mics. The SD9 wasn't advertised to be replacement for the Audya, but for all intents and purposes, I think it will be. They both are supported and updated, but the Audya remains with the old OS and smaller screen. There is no question that the SD9 has more modern additions in spite of features of the Audya left off.

Just like the Roland G70 and Technics KN7000, these are still venerable old boards never to be seen again in my opinion.

Bernie
Hammond SK1
stephenm52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a late to this discussion, but as has been written the sound is subjective. I buy from a great dealer Frank @ audioworksct. He had both a Pa4x and Genos in stock and I was able to compare and play them side by side.

I liked the Genos so much I bought one but also kept my Pa4x. Both have their strong points. Some days/gigs I use the Pa4x other days/gigs I use the Genos. Every time I play each they just blow me away with their respective sounds/styles. In my eyes there is no clear winner, but for live gig play I have to give the edge to the Pa4x along with the vocal harmonizer in it. I also give the edge to the Pa4x for it’s key length and action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: