Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPDIF out for recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: SPDIF out for recording Reply with quote

Hello,

I am planning to buy a SONY pcm d-100 recorder and it has 3.5mm SPDIF in-out. Anyone recorded Kronos via SPDIF to recorder that have SPDIF?

Is there any advantage via SPDIF vs. 1/4 to 1/8 split cable line-in? Any sound quality differences?

* Not related to kronos, but I have a V-Piano and has coaxial digital out, can I use a adapter to record via SPDIF? Will there be any signal loss or noise issue? Thanks!
studio460

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S/PDIF is the consumer version of AES/EBU, the professional serial-digital audio standard. All of my synths (except my Korg Radias) have an S/PDIF output, but I don't know what to do with them since there's no such thing as an S/PDIF "hub" or "mixer" (I did buy an S/PDIF switcher so that I can switch between two S/PDIF devices, going into a single input). So I have all of my digitally-equipped synths simply sending their analog TRS outputs into a $100 Behringer 10x2 switcher.

Presumably, staying in the digital domain until final mix-down is the ultimate in sound quality. Can I hear the difference between and S/PDIF output and a TRS output? Maybe not. However, with S/PDIF, you would be immune to 60Hz hum, ground-loops, and errant current leaks which could cause added noise.

If you have the option of sending S/PDIF to your device, that's definitely the preferred option, but if you want multiple devices to send digital signals to a single device, I'm not sure how you do that.

S/PDIF coax-to-optical adapters exist and I assume work fine.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: