Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to keep a note playing without doing it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Yes. Changes made to Programs from within a Combi are saved with the Combi, when the Combi is saved, and are reapplied to the Program whenever that particular Combi is selected. The Program itself doesn't change e.g. when that Program is played in Program mode, the changes are not present.

I'm afraid this is not true. Editing a program from within a combi does edit the program itself, no matter where it's used. I just took a combi and went into Edit Program for a pad sound and changed the release parameter to zero. Saved it and of course the sound cut off immediately after releasing the key. I then changed to another combi that uses that same pad sound and it too had the fast cutoff. I then went directly to the program and it has the changed release with fast cutoff.

You can make edits from within combi and save the edits to another location and then it would only affect that combi. But, that means using valuable programs locations for small edits. The Tone Adjust can make a lot of "edits" that are only applied to the combi which is what makes this a powerful tool.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks geoelectro. I stand corrected. Apologies for wasting folks' time. There were some changes done here a while ago that allowed things to stay with the Combi.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Thanks geoelectro. I stand corrected. Apologies for wasting folks' time. There were some changes done here a while ago that allowed things to stay with the Combi.

Maybe you were thinking of this (from the most current OG- page 80):
Important: Tone Adjust lets you change the way the
Program sounds in a specific Combination or Song without
affecting the original Program
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably as you say, ronnfigg, but there were other changes being made also, at the time, so my brain took one correct fact, mixed it with another that didn't work in this way, to synthesise a new "fact", wrong in this case. I delayed replying in the hope that exactly what was done would all return to me, to no avail. This basic ability of the brain to "mash up" ideas might be the essence of creativity, but doesn't work well for hard facts. The good thing is it gets worse as we get older!! ;-)
swright

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: drone change octave Reply with quote

I've got the drone to work by using the "hold" feature, set the range to C7 and above so it's out of the way of other sounds I'm playing, but the drone note is too high. I've tried to change the pitch for it to play an octave or two lower, but then the drone doesn't play at all for reason.

I'd also like to be able to change the note of the drone at different times throughout the song, and I can't figure out a way to make that work, other than creating another slot on the set list and hitting a different note to start the drone.

I've read some other suggestions on other forum topics, but some of it's a bit over my head. I only began using this beast of an instrument at my church last year, and it was basically being used for only piano and maybe a pad sound here and there, so I've learned a lot through YouTube, Google, this forum, and playing around, but some of the suggestions use a lot of tech talk that I'm not very familiar with
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: drone change octave Reply with quote

swright wrote:

I'd also like to be able to change the note of the drone at different times throughout the song, and I can't figure out a way to make that work, other than creating another slot on the set list and hitting a different note to start the drone.

Ih

You could work in Combi mode. Buy a sustain pedal.

set up your 2 programs in a Combi, map out a narrow zone or keyboard range
for your different 1 noters.

Use sustain and your finger to get in and out of the notes
swright

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have clarify that I am in combi mode. I have set the timber with the drone to a certain keyboard zone range, and I've attempted to change the pitch an octave lower. When I change the pitch, for some reason, the drone no longer plays when I hit the exact same note that it worked with before I changed the pitch. I do have a sustain pedal pedal.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swright wrote:
I should have clarify that I am in combi mode. I have set the timber with the drone to a certain keyboard zone range, and I've attempted to change the pitch an octave lower. When I change the pitch, for some reason, the drone no longer plays when I hit the exact same note that it worked with before I changed the pitch. I do have a sustain pedal pedal.

you say ' change the pitch '

I would say , and try, pressing another note, using the sustain to get out, then in.

Give the sustain pedal a 2nd push, if the original note locks on.

make sure you are using ' midi filter ' tab [ sustain check box] in the combi correctly

You could also state what sound engine you are using. That could be a factor
contributing to the locked note problem.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swright wrote:

By "change the pitch" you mean Combi P2: Timbre Parameters-> Pitch tab? The transposing there is done with MIDI note numbers.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
ronnfigg wrote:
Old Jimmy Smith Hammond organ trick- use a matchbook to hold the key down.

A guitar pick is just the right width and thickness to do that too!

Only good though when you got a second or two to spare to set it up. Won't work in a few milliseconds, which might be an issue if you're multitasking something fierce...

Have you tried that? Seems to me like it could slip in between the keys. A matchbook is more of a wedge. When it's feasible I set it up well in advance, especially if I can reserve a key for just this purpose.
swright

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I mean by changing the pitch. That's what I do when I want a certain timbre to play up or down an octave. Maybe there's a different way to do it, but that's what I've found.

I want to hit the C6 note for a drone, but I can't set the drone that low because then the other sounds I'm playing in the combi will get in the way. That's why I was trying to change the octave of that particular timbre.

The sustain pedal does nothing to the drone. The drone note will keep playing over the top of the other timbres I'm using in the combi, which is exactly what I want it to do. I can fade the volume all the way down with a slider, I can increase the volume back up with the slider, but I don't know a way to turn the drone note off and play another one or add another note to it.

The sticking something in the keys wouldn't work because I go up right to that point when playing the other timbres in the combi.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this from time to time in a Combi. If you can find keys that you won't be using at the outer octaves. Make it a 1 note zone. If you're using a high C you will have to transpose the Timbre up if you want to put a lower note there. And just because you are using the high C doesn't mean the note can't be playing the sound of a high A or whatever. You can do this for multiple drones. You can turn them on and off with the physical Timber switch. And to make it drone- matchbook!
swright

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that when I change the pitch of the timbre with the drone note, there's no sound... It won't play.. if I take the pitch adjustment off, it plays. I've checked the keyboard zone. Works fine hitting, for example, C7 before I change the pitch. Doesn't play after I adjust the pitch... Makes no sense
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swright wrote:
The problem is that when I change the pitch of the timbre with the drone note, there's no sound... It won't play.. if I take the pitch adjustment off, it plays. I've checked the keyboard zone. Works fine hitting, for example, C7 before I change the pitch. Doesn't play after I adjust the pitch... Makes no sense

So in the pitch tab are you increasing the the value to a positive value, say +12 to get a note an octave lower?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: