Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4X Gigging Speakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabcomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: PA4X Gigging Speakers Reply with quote

What is the best sounding Piano reproducing speakers to gig with on the PA4X
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha DXR (yamaha have upgraded there sub's this year) or QSC K.2 are on my radar, they get good reviews with there accompanying sub or sub's for keyboards... I have access to a larger Yamaha DSR system but want my own compact system for mains (smaller venues) or monitoring (wedged) so with the DXR10's and this will including a single sub which are sounding very promising for smaller applications, but before I pull the trigger the New QSC K.2 (K10.2) with the New KS112 sub is getting good acclaim and my dealer is pushing them hard, so a comparison will be needed .....also although i can not confirm this.. Rick Wakeman is singing the praise of some New Electro Voice speakers in a recent rig breakdown video on YouTube....so there are three lines to start you off....but do take your PA4X to a dealers if you can when trying the wide range of PA systems out there and a good sales person who can understand your needs is going to be the best way rather than online reviews with out a demo with the company of the PA4X would be risky....
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DXR line of enclosures offer not only great performance the DSP being designed by Nexo Engineers but they also arrive with a industry leading 7 year warranty!

First things first, the question was about reproducing the Piano live, this I think is a difficult as it’s about individual perceptions. My own take on this is that it depends on the kind of gigs you do and what type of music you play.
If you work small gigs on your own or a small band then provided the source Piano sound is good the job of reproducing is far easier provided you have a decent speaker system. However the louder things become the more difficult it is to maintain the same quality.

Traditionally I have always used high quality 15 inch and horn speakers for the job and still rate those. In the case of a keyboard like the Pa4x I find I need a full sound stage to reproduce my sound and by my sound I mean with the gigs I do solo or in a trio I am looking to get a near full band sound so then I use one or two Subs.

With that set up I can reproduce the quality I need, the downside is weight and transport of such a system. Hence I recently bought the Yamaha DXR 12s and use those in small gigs and when I play in a five piece. These have the advantage of easy carrying, high output, and even dynamic range and can more than keep up with guitars and drums. However to use these enclosures to reproduce a full sound of bass, drums and the rest from the Pa4x they do require a sub even if it’s just one and I am thinking of adding either a DXS 12 or 15 to make a 2.1 system to handle small to medium gigs.

As D575 has rightly pointed out there are other options like EV and QSC and likely or not each musician will have different ideas as to how each sounds along with budget considerations and auditioning the shortlisted products with the keyboard would be a smart move.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha have updated there PA range and added a new DZR line looks interesting... https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/speakers/dzr_dxs_xlf/index.html https://youtu.be/Sf_rUWXUpME
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: