Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

System Startup Failed; Brand New Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeyL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: System Startup Failed; Brand New Kronos Reply with quote

Brand New Kronos 2; System Startup Failed. I'm seeing a lot of people are having this problem. Now my new Kronos is doing it. Ya know, I've got to make my living with this board.
NormC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is brand new and an out of box failure I would bring it back to the place you got it. It could be a simple fix like loose RAM but let the dealer sort it out.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: System Startup Failed; Brand New Kronos Reply with quote

JoeyL wrote:
Brand New Kronos 2; System Startup Failed. I'm seeing a lot of people are having this problem. Now my new Kronos is doing it. Ya know, I've got to make my living with this board.

if this is a new trend with new K2;s we will never know exactly what is going on with the new K2's

it would be a fair guess, that a flakey component has been introduced into the assembly process.

So absolutely, return it. Exchange it. Korg looks at tangible activity of returns at retail.
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had the same issues with my brand-new Kronos LS that I got in January and that hasn’t been moved out of my house since.

On occasion when turning it on, I’ll get the “System Boot Failure” message. Restarting it ends up making things work fine, but I am concerned about further problems.

As I bought it at Sweetwater in Indiana and I’m in Oregon, I’m worried about shipping expenses and hassles returning it for repair/exchange.

I spent quite a bit of time (and financial investment) in deciding between going the Kronos route or the Kurzweil route. I’m a bit worried about my decision and commitment now in light of these issues. I was pretty self-assured from what I read about the reliability and reputation of the Kronos that I was making a smart choice.

I hope I wasn’t foolish in going into major debt to afford my “dream keyboard”.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

- JT
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a K2 -73 a few months back and it happens to me frequently too. Mainly when it's turned on in colder weather. Also always boots perfectly second time.
I have an older K2-61 which has always started up first time. Something in this latest batch of K2's is different!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Foster wrote:
I’ve had the same issues with my brand-new Kronos LS that I got in January and that hasn’t been moved out of my house since.

On occasion when turning it on, I’ll get the “System Boot Failure” message. Restarting it ends up making things work fine, but I am concerned about further problems.

As I bought it at Sweetwater in Indiana and I’m in Oregon, I’m worried about shipping expenses and hassles returning it for repair/exchange.

I spent quite a bit of time (and financial investment) in deciding between going the Kronos route or the Kurzweil route. I’m a bit worried about my decision and commitment now in light of these issues. I was pretty self-assured from what I read about the reliability and reputation of the Kronos that I was making a smart choice.

- JT

Don't wait around. You have a defective $3000 keyboard.

See if SW will exchange it for you. If you were in the 45 day period, they would have exchanged it for you and paid for shipping.

Maybe they will extend that policy. Good luck
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Johnny Foster wrote:

- JT

Don't wait around. You have a defective $3000 keyboard.

See if SW will exchange it for you. If you were in the 45 day period, they would have exchanged it for you and paid for shipping.

Maybe they will extend that policy. Good luck

Thanks for the advice ; I just sent Ian at Sweetwater a note telling of my dilemma and issue. I’ll let you know what he ends up doing for me.

Best,
JT
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine couple of months ago and at same time an ups no problems so far.
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE : Amazing Sweetwater ; are taking back my defective Kronos LS and shipping a brand-new one to me, no questions asked.

Great customer service ! That's why I keep shopping with them. I don't know another retailer that would do this 3 months after the sale.

- JT.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Foster wrote:
UPDATE : Amazing Sweetwater ; are taking back my defective Kronos LS and shipping a brand-new one to me, no questions asked.

Great customer service ! That's why I keep shopping with them. I don't know another retailer that would do this 3 months after the sale.

- JT.

Excellent.

Thats a great service story. Instead of going by the ' book', SW did the right
thing and took care of the issue and importantly, you, the customer.

To be fair, defective components do not always fester right away, in 30 days. Sometimes it takes +60 days to realize there is a definite issue.
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Johnny Foster wrote:

- JT.

Excellent.

Thats a great service story. Instead of going by the ' book', SW did the right
thing and took care of the issue and importantly, you, the customer.

To be fair, defective components do not always fester right away, in 30 days. Sometimes it takes +60 days to realize there is a definite issue.

Thank you, and very well said. Agreed - problems sometimes do take time to manifest. So happy that SW honored me as a customer and are incurring the costs to help make me a satisfied customer. As a result, I will continue to be a good customer to them.

I hope more retailers can adopt these attitudes and practices.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetwater is awesome. I buy a lot of gear through them, but I also use Musician's Friend, and 8th Street Music, among others. For service, Sweetwater is the best.

Btw, it only took me about 7 years, after getting the Kronos, to get a UPS. I don't usually gig, but I have one coming up. So....

Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update as of May 2, 2018 - The replacement Kronos LS that Sweetwater sent to replace the error-prone booting of the original LS I bought ALSO had major booting failure as well.

So, I decided that enough was enough with Kronos. I sent this also-defective Kronos LS back to Sweetwater for a full refund and have now washed my hands of the Korg Kronos.

I’m now free of the poor investment that I believe Kronos LS is/was. I feel as though a huge weight is off my back, financially and otherwise as the LS was destined to become a doorstop. Its inability to be / boot reliably is just too absurd to spend such money on. Ridiculous pricing for such an unpredictable machine. Sweetwater will always have my business for taking these two (!!) defective units back with no hassles. Kudos to them.

I’m now thrilled my “new/old” setup of my Kurzweil PC88 (as a controller only), Mainstage 3/MacBook Pro with all the top VI plugs (which IMO, sound WAY better than Kronos), and Motif Rack XS. It just works, and sounds great, always boots up and fast.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Foster wrote:
Update as of May 2, 2018 - The replacement Kronos LS that Sweetwater sent to replace the error-prone booting of the original LS I bought ALSO had major booting failure as well.

So, I decided that enough was enough with Kronos. I sent this also-defective Kronos LS back to Sweetwater for a full refund and have now washed my hands of the Korg Kronos.

I’m now free of the poor investment that I believe Kronos LS is/was. I feel as though a huge weight is off my back, financially and otherwise as the LS was destined to become a doorstop. Its inability to be / boot reliably is just too absurd to spend such money on. Ridiculous pricing for such an unpredictable machine. Sweetwater will always have my business for taking these two (!!) defective units back with no hassles. Kudos to them.

I agree completely. Protecting yourself financially is #1

It is very odd that you had 2 defective LS in a row.

I expect all retailers to be 100% transparent when asked about defect rate of any keyboard. This is something I am not shy about. I expect co's like SW to keep accurate records to answer important questions
leonh

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Foster wrote:

I’m now thrilled my “new/old” setup of my Kurzweil PC88 (as a controller only), Mainstage 3/MacBook Pro with all the top VI plugs (which IMO, sound WAY better than Kronos), and Motif Rack XS. It just works, and sounds great, always boots up and fast.

Funny things happen I had two defective Montages 61 and then I decided that I had enough so I got Kronos and no problems so far go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: