Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg X3 problem - seeking help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waaaaaark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Korg X3 problem - seeking help Reply with quote

I just recently bought a used X3 from a less than reputable person and have since started going through it and fixing things. The biggest problem I've run into is that every C and F# in each octave doesn't trigger any sound. I got to the keybed and cleaned the contact and the rubber strip to no avail.

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!
T3owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Korg X3 problem - seeking help Reply with quote

Since the problem affects all C and F# keys in every octave, it would be quite a coincidence if the cause was a key contact issue. Rather, there's a problem with decoding of the key matrix.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_matrix_circuit

Although more serious problems can occur, the typical cause is a poor cable connection between the keybed and the matrix decoding circuit. All it takes is a single bad conductor.
Waaaaaark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help. It makes a lot of sense what you said about the key matrix. I checked all the wires going from the keybed to the main board for continuity and they all seem fine. Where should I go from here? Taking it to a shop is the last resort, honestly.

Again, thank you.
T3owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

I presume you checked the 11-pin and 12-pin cables. Did you also verify that connectors are making good contact, and that the connector pins are properly soldered?

Based on the schematic I have, the C and F# keys share two lines. They are connected via CN3 (12-pin connector), pins 6 and 12. I suggest you trace the paths as far as you can on the boards at each end, even beyond where the cables themselves connect.

If nothing seems amiss there, then there may be a problem with a pullup resistor for one of those lines, or the key scanning processor (IC20, M37451M4) may be bad.
Waaaaaark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I checked the connections on CN3 and found that on both ends everything is fine. I checked resistors R45-R79 that connect to CN3 and they all seemed to be fine, too. No damage that I could see to any components or traces anywhere. I'm just baffled at this point. I checked all the keybed diodes, too.
T3owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaaaaark wrote:
So I checked the connections on CN3 and found that on both ends everything is fine. I checked resistors R45-R79 that connect to CN3 and they all seemed to be fine, too. No damage that I could see to any components or traces anywhere. I'm just baffled at this point. I checked all the keybed diodes, too.

If the N01 and N10 lines are continuous from end to end (IC20 through the traces on the keyboard), and the pullups are OK, then the problem is likely IC20 related. Further troubleshooting could be done using an oscilloscope to compare signals on the suspect lines with ones where the keys function correctly. Look at the IC20 end of R52 and R63 versus others, with keys depressed and not. Even just a voltage reading might detect a stuck line. In fact, sometimes an ohmmeter reading to ground, comparing working and non-working lines, can reveal something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: