Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should Korg be talking about PA5X Now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robkeith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Should Korg be talking about PA5X Now? Reply with quote

Hi my Korg friends. I’ll be honest in saying that the Yamaha Genos In my opinion currently is I believe the best sounding rig out there. It’s price however is prohibitive still. RRP $6999 (incl speaker pack & Stand) best I could do was $5999 withouthout the extras and $100 less making it $5900 Au $. This I believe is still way too much. Even though I think currently it’s a winner. Listen to the better sound demos the 256 notes lpoliphony leaves so much space it’s incredibly sublime.

However I have a PA4X and have been very happy with it and it’s development, & I won’t be giving it away to scrape a huge amount of money to get the Genos, which I think without accessories should be under $5k Aus dollars to be fair.

Now considering the dilemma should a Korg be talking about the next iteration of PA5X because there must be a lot of potential buyers in the same boat?. Let’s face it they know already what’s going into it and what features it will have. It certainly would help me in my decision that’s for sure.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Rob

I don't think Korg can wait too long now particularly if Yamaha are already planning Genos 2 (or significant upgrades)

They are on a par in many ways now (for the first time) and the competition is now more serious.

Cheers

pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
angelitto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like will never be a pa5x. Pa4 is the last of the ”mohicans”. Instead will be a new keyboard on another platform with a new name and new capabilities. Maybe will be released in 2019. Korg will change the game, like Yamaha did with Genos.
ozdaniel(AD)
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

...Yamaha are already planning Genos 2 (or significant upgrades)
pete Very Happy

In that case I think, KORG will come with a new OS for Pa4x, exp; OS2.5 or OS3.0 with 1TB streaming samples from optional SSD , 8 Master Effects plus 8 Effects on each arranger track...and more
Laughing
From KORG, everything is possible ... Cool

Regards
Daniel
Tom04

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't agree, that the GENOS is the best machine, but thats always an individual opinion.
This year I had to make a decision between T5, GENOS, Ketron SD9 and PA4X, and the PA4x made it.
There are a lot of advantages: the songbook and setlist concept, editing sounds and styles (!!!), chord sequencer, KBDSets, internal TC voice processor, and some more.
The sounds are comparable, the GENOS REVO drums are not more impressive than the Korg kits.
So my wishes ( KOASS settings storable in songbook, voice processor setting storable in KBS like in PA3X) can be fulfilled with a future OS upgrade ( I hope so ).
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozdaniel(AD) wrote:
karmathanever wrote:

pete Very Happy

In that case I think, KORG will come with a new OS for Pa4x, exp; OS2.5 or OS3.0 with 1TB streaming samples from optional SSD , 8 Master Effects plus 8 Effects on each arranger track...and more
Laughing

Regards
Daniel

An OS update that will upgrade it one more time is possible but the 1TB is just impossible...It maybe could do up to 1.5-2Gb streaming and only from internal eMMC (thats about the space left on the media if they repartition it somehow(not 100% sure it is possible with an OS update)...
Alternatively SD-Card can be used for streaming but it is not a wise option cause if users have locked SD-card sets they ll have to replace them , losing the set...Also if the user put in a slow card , the system will have pops and clicks on the user sample playback...
SSD has to go through usb and usb 2 is not fast enough for so much polyphony streaming on 16bit raw pcm files...
We will see what future will bring but a new model should happen somewhere in 2020...Maybe they ll follow the kronos tactic and allow the os to run on old 4x too with less features (ram , efx, etc) due to lower specs..Who knows!
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, if they don't release anything, nor post news of anything upcoming at the MusikMesse about to start, I'd give up any hope of anything other than a minor bugfix release.

Want something new? Buy the new model. It's a business model that has worked (financially) for Yamaha for decades...
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent some time playing the Genos I disagree thats its the best sounding rig, indeed whilst the Genos does have some great sounds and some of the Revo Drums sound amazing the Pa4x has its own strengths and thats not just confined to the sound engine.

I am afraid that the Genos does'nt do it for me and it all sounds way to processed and in places plastic and then for a 6k product the build quality is not the best that Yamaha have turned out and life on the road wont be kind.

What I liked about the Pa4x when I first heard it was its live sound which is very organic and two years down the line I still love the way that when using it live you can obtain that live sound and that is important to me not to mention the sound engine which is highly programmable, the Songbook and Dual Players, the flexibility of what can be achieved and the superior build quality.

If and when a new Korg Arranger appears Korg should look at the Drum sounds, Effects Routings and Number of effects both insert and master, sort out the terrible rotary speaker simulation, and look to desiging a snappier OS system providing streaming and maybe give us a better screen to work with.
So for me at least imho Korg have the edge now and will no doubt continue to give us something musically innovative as opposed to repackage technology
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:

I am afraid that the Genos does'nt do it for me

Why would you, you have a magnificent Korg arranger! Very Happy

Play in style. Wink
export-B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, guys, guys. Thirty years ago we were in studios and this quality one, much more technically limited than nowadays with PA4X or Genos. There are still important ideas in music. The equipment only allows them to perform. Even today, I would hop on the stage with M1 and D50 and believe me, that I would play all night without problems. The fact is that both keyboards are high in technology. I just swear on the PA4X because of the openness of the system and thus a lot of possibilities for my own creativity. The other one will equally claim Genos. Just like every one likes to ride with his car, it's also the case with musical instruments. Enjoy music.
Polysix, Poly 800, DW6000, DW8000, DS8, M1, PA1X Pro, PA2X Pro, Kronos X 61, PA3X Pro, PA3X LE, PA700, PA4X 76, PA1000, Kronos SE and now Nautilus 73 and Casio PXS3000, Cubase 12, NI Ultimate 12, Komplete Kontrol S49,ReFX 3.0,Roland FR1X.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Agree Rob

I don't think Korg can wait too long now particularly if Yamaha are already planning Genos 2 (or significant upgrades)

They are on a par in many ways now (for the first time) and the competition is now more serious.

Cheers

pete Very Happy

Genos 2?
In about 5 years..

Updates to the current Genos?
Never done before by Yamaha, but maybe they will follow the path of the Montage.
Altough, not very liekly

There will however be a 61 key version of Genos announced next month at musikmesse.. if they would bring a module or an 88 key version, i would have been tempted.
ahirori

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: korg pa4x Reply with quote

I'm not a yamaha guy but korg needs to up there game specialy the RAM i mean 400mb these days is nothing looking at other keyboards so i agree if korg needs to up there game they need to come up with the a way to fix the ram issue other wise I'm happy with my 4x but 400mb is rediculous to say the least
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Korg will release the Kronos replacement first with some new sound engines, and then leverage that in the new Pa5x or whatever they call it. The new Kronos is overdue and I'm speculating (my opinion only) they release something Sep-Nov for this current holiday season. Any other wild guess?
Minneapolis Musician

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, love the "natural live" sound of the PA4X. It just sounds like a band actually in the room with you. Hard to say what makes that happen, but it truly has its own, super high quality "gigging sound", to my ears.

PA4x harmonies, Beach Boys song: https://youtu.be/3drsnU6j8Po?t=3m25s

All songs: http://www.reverbnation.com/GlennGalen
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozdaniel(AD) wrote:
karmathanever wrote:

pete Very Happy

Laughing

Regards
Daniel

not really, i think the current CPU is allready exhausted to the max..
its still the same processing as on the PA3x
just with a change to the memmory structure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: