Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PaAS or Not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aboammar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: PaAS or Not? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just ordered the Pa4X OR 76 keys, and I was thinking to order the PaAS, but the company that I ordered the keyboard from advised me to get other speakers instead of the PaAS, and save some money on the prcocess! They said the PaAS is good but way overpriced when compared to other speakers with similar or even better sound quality.

I am still considering the PaAS, but I also heard a great deal about the iLoud Micro Monitors and seen so many positive YouTube reviews about it and how an amazing sound they deliver, especially on the bass level! Unfortunately, I can not find helpful reviews for the PaAS!

Can any one compare the sounds of both, the PaAS and the iLoud?

The iLoud costs only $300 but I heard it sounds much better than any $500 speakers!

The iLoud offers 50W RMS and has a frequency response of 55Hz-20kHz at (-3dB), and 45Hz-22kHz at (-10dB).

It would be helpful to know the frequency response of the PaAS, but I could not find it anywhere! That information would greatly help me decide what to buy!
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aboammar.... when considering a sound system for the PA4X I think it is important to understand that recommendations, specifications and reviews can realistically only serve as a starting point once a short list has been compiled, the safest and sure footed way too know you have the right speakers for the PA4X to make you personally happy.....then I would recommend that you try before you buy and this would include the PA4X in this process....let your ears be your guide according to your budget, So considered the price of the korg PAAS or the iloud micro monitors then in terms of performance I think you can do better for the money, where studio monitors with a 5" main driver or bigger would start to take you into the territory of feeling satisfied, I think it is fair to say after spending good money on the PA4X, trying to skimp on a sound system will only choke the overall final performance in terms of fidelity....If it is practical for you to do so then take the PA4X to a retailer with a broad selection of studio monitors or sound systems available to try where some comparisons can take place... you will be pleasantly surprised with the differences when comparing different product from different manufacturers....getting the best out of the PA4X dont forget to include the MAXXAUDIO Master/ EQ on the PA4X... as for korgs PAAS frequency specification im am also struggling to find this for you ?.... hope that helps Smile
Aboammar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
Hi Aboammar.... when considering a sound system for the PA4X I think it is important to understand that recommendation, specification and reviews can realistically only serve as a starting point once a short list has been compiled, the safest and sure footed way too know you have the right speakers for the PA4X you will be happy with.....then I would recommend that you try before you buy and this would include the PA4X in the process....let your ears be your guide according to your budget, So for the price of the korg PAAS or the iloud micro monitors then in terms of performance I think you can do better for the money where studio monitors with a 5" main driver or bigger would start to take you into the territory of feeling satisfied, I think it is fair to say after spending good money on the PA4X trying to skimp on a sound system will only choke the overall final performance in terms of fidelity....If it is practical for you to do so take the PA4X to a retailer where a broad selection of studio monitors or sound systems are available and do some comparisons you will be pleasantly surprised with the differences when comparing different product from different manufacturers and to get the best out of the PA4X not to forget to include the MAXXAUDIO Master EQ on the PA4X... as for korgs PAAS frequency specification im am also struggling to find this for you ?.... hope that helps Smile

Thank you very much for your detailed reply .. I appreciate it so much ...

I want a portable speaker system that deliver the highest sound quality so 5" studio monitors are just too big to consider as portable. For the record, I am an audio engineer and I used to own several 5", 6" and 8" studio monitors from M-Audio, Yamaha, and Adams so I am familiar in that area.

The iLoud seems to fit the bill perfectly in term of portability and sound quality, according to all reviews and comparison tests I came across in YouTube and respectable websites. In fact all tests claim that the iLoud deliver more low end than all 5" studio monitors they tested against such as the Yamaha HS5, Genelec 8030, PreSonus Eris E5, KRK ROKIT 5, Mackie CR5BT, and JBL 305P. And some reviews claim that the iLoud even deliver similar bass level to some 8" monitors such as the M-Audio BX8 which is crazy!

I would consider the PaAS as a portable system because of its form factor since it is a one piece unit that connects directly to the keyboard without any cables to mess with. The problem is that I can not find useful reviews for PaAS and how it compares to other speakers such as the iLoud. And it is even worse that I can not find any information about its frequency response to help me decide between PaAS and iLoud.

By the way, I totally agree with you that it is always better to try myself and hear which system sounds best to my ears, but unfortunately I do not have this luxury as both the PaAS and iLoud are not available in my country!
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... I see local access is your problem Aboammar ... well I have also seen some reviews floating around for the iloud's and they do get good marks with no apparent bad reviews.... I did have a PAAS at one point with the previous pa3x for a short time but not with the current PA4X, what I can say is the PA4X has a improved sound over the pa3x when I did my initial demo's with the PA4X which had the PAAS installed and it did sound good for what it is...... now if some of the claims are saying as good as the Genelec's and im guessing the iloud's have some well refined DSP taking place to be as good as the reviews are saying (i had a good look) i can understand your dilemma....Humm...im not much help here but gut instinct which is contradicting my early advice and as you are use to studio monitors then I would have to try the iloud's but what you realy need is someone with a PA4x who has them...so may be someone will come forward ...if you do get the iloud's let us know how they are as I am intrigued now....good luck hope this works out for you Smile

Last edited by D575 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Aboammar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again for your feedback .. appreciate it 👍

Well, I hope someone will be able to test both the PaAS and iLoud Micro Monitors with the Pa4X and confirm to us which one sounds better, especially in the low end.

If they are very comparable in sound quality, I think I might just go with iLoud since it is much cheaper, $300 vs. $500. iLoud is also very versatile and can be used with many audio devices, especially with its Bluetooth support. The PaAS is very limited in this regard and can only be used with one device, my Korg Pa4X keyboard!

Here are links for some of the reviews I came across:

Audio Demos: Better put on your headphone for this.. 😄
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkfnN26QPkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTabG5txQUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aDvSMehQdc

Some video reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP6T1JWiaoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywW3ACiU6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDFLl6hI00
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...Piano Man likes the iloud's...im sure you know this Aboammar, if you do go for the iloud's ? as a portable system dont use the headphone output..it's probably the weakest link as a line out.. I would use the main rear L/R line outputs on the back of the PA4X with the master panel volume set at about 70% .....
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: PaAS or Not? Reply with quote

Aboammar wrote:

... the iLoud Micro Monitors...

Hi Aboammar,

I would be interested in these monitors (iLoud Micro Monitors) too if they are a good match with what I am looking for.
I need a pair of small/affordable and reliable monitor for my Pa4X.
Actually I need them for Editing/Balancing my Styles Tracks and Keyboard Sets before using them on live performance.
I already have/using a pair of QSC K10 for editing styles Tracks/Keyboard Sets but not convenient to setup each time at home.
Question:
Are they coming with stands?

Please let us know how it goes with your decision.
Thanks for sharing.
Aboammar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
Well...Piano Man likes the iloud's...im sure you know this Aboammar, if you do go for the iloud's ? as a portable system dont use the headphone output..it's probably the weakest link as a line out.. I would use the main rear L/R line outputs on the back of the PA4X with the master panel volume set at about 70% .....

Yah.. using the headphone output to connect anything but headphones is not the best idea to optimal sound quality. I guess the piano guy knows that, but maybe he had no other option to fast switch between the built in speaker and the iLoud monitor 😁

Thanks for the tip about the 70% volume 👍

Older Keyboards: GEM WS1, and Ketron Vega EX

PC: HP Z1 G3 AIO Workstation

DAW: Presonus Studio One Pro 4

Last edited by Aboammar on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Aboammar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: PaAS or Not? Reply with quote

BR wrote:
Aboammar wrote:

... the iLoud Micro Monitors...

Hi Aboammar,

I would be interested in these monitors (iLoud Micro Monitors) too if they are a good match with what I am looking for.
I need a pair of small/affordable and reliable monitor for my Pa4X.
Actually I need them for Editing/Balancing my Styles Tracks and Keyboard Sets before using them on live performance.
I already have/using a pair of QSC K10 for editing styles Tracks/Keyboard Sets but not convenient to setup each time at home.
Question:
Are they coming with stands?

Please let us know how it goes with your decision.
Thanks for sharing.

Hi BR,

The QSC K10 are great PA speakers, but they are not meant to be used as studio monitors since they don't provide balanced and flat frequency response for accurate studio work such as editing and balancing your styles, tracks and keyboard sets.

For that job, you need studio monitors, and if you need a portable one, then the iLoud is a great choice for $300. I have read and watched so many positive reviews and tests about them, so you can not go wrong with the iLoud.

For your reference, the the iLoud provide flat frequency response with 50W RMS which is more than enough for studios and homes. It also deliver an amazing low end frequency ranging from 45Hz to 55Hz, depending on the volume. That is even deeper bass than the 56Hz of the QSC K10 at the same volume.. Incredible!!!

The iLoud, like all standard studio monitors, do not come with stands, but it has the required threads to connect them to any standard microphone stands, if you need to.

However, they do come with built-in adjustable angles rubberized bases to point them up at your ears when used on desk, so if you have empty space in your desk to put the iLoud monitors, then you do not need any stands.

I am 90% sure I will buy the iLoud monitors, but will let you know soon...

Check this video for more information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgbAPGKyKU&t=19s

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLoudMicro--ik-multimedia-iloud-micro-monitors-pair

BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: PaAS or Not? Reply with quote

Aboammar wrote:

Hi BR,
The QSC K10 are great PA speakers, but they are not meant to be used as studio monitors....

Thanks Aboammar for the information and links, very helpful.
I use only the QSC K10 for live performance and agree with you that they are not designed for studio work.
I am a full time live performer. i would need the iLoud, as I mentioned, for preparing/balancing my styles track, for example Volume, the balance between Style Tracks and keyboard set, that's it.
I see you have Presonus Studio One Pro, I have the Presonus Studio One 3 and I was wondering if it's possible to have quarter tone with VST.

Thanks

Last edited by BR on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Aboammar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PaAS or Not? Reply with quote

[quote="BR"]
Aboammar wrote:
Aboammar wrote:

Hi BR,
The QSC K10 are great PA speakers, but they are not meant to be used as studio monitors....

Thanks Aboammar for the information and links, very helpful.
I use only the QSC K10 for live performance and agree with you that they are not designed for studio work.
I am a full time live performer. i would need the iLoud, as I mentioned, for preparing/balancing my styles track, for example Volume, the balance between Style Tracks and keyboard set, that's it.
I see you have Presonus Studio One Pro, I have the Presonus Studio One 3 and I was wondering if it's possible to have quarter tone with VST.

Thanks

Hi BR,

I believe the iLoud will be perfect fit for your requirement. I just ordered it and looking forward to test it and provide my feedback here ..

I am also using the latest version of Presonus Studio One Pro. Studio One Pro, just like most DAWs, it dose not have a native support for quarter tone, so it all depends on the support of the VST instruments. Some VST instruments support quarter tone scale with on-screen micro keyboard, others do not support it directly like Kontakt but still can apply quarter tone using a script or the built-in micro-tuning feature.

Let me know if you need more details..

BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: PaAS or Not? Reply with quote

Aboammar wrote:

Hi BR,

I believe the iLoud will be perfect fit for your requirement. I just ordered it and looking forward to test it and provide my feedback here ..

I am also using the latest version of Presonus Studio One Pro. Studio One Pro, just like most DAWs, it dose not have a native support for quarter tone, so it all depends on the support of the VST instruments. Some VST instruments support quarter tone scale with on-screen micro keyboard, others do not support it directly like Kontakt but still can apply quarter tone using a script or the built-in micro-tuning feature.

Thanks Aboammar for the info about using the quarter tone in Presonus Studio One.
I'll wait for your feedback regarding the iLoud and will take a decision.
Good luck with your purchase.
Aboammar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: PaAS or Not? Reply with quote

BR wrote:
Aboammar wrote:

Hi BR,

Thanks Aboammar for the info about using the quarter tone in Presonus Studio One.
I'll wait for your feedback regarding the iLoud and will take a decision.
Good luck with your purchase.

You most welcome Wink

I will give you my full feedback as soon as I receive and test the iLoud...

Aboammar

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ..

Very sorry for my very late reply as I had a death situation in my family, and I had to travel ... etc, then I got so busy and did not have the time to test out the iLoad until few days ago.

Anyway, the iLoad are indeed very amazing tiny monitors! They are exactly as I expected after reading so many positive reviews about it! I love the sound they produce and I highly recommend them!

Let me know if you need more information ..

worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aboammar
Please can you provide a full review of the iloud as a keyboard amp . I own the korg pa1x and love the built in speakers for small group work with my choir . It is just so convenient. I also own the korg pa4x and have not taken it out of the house yet because I don’t want to have to carry my spacestation keyboard amp for such small group work . How would the iloud compete with the inbuilt speakers of the korg pa1x ?

How loud does it get and what’s the bass response like ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: