Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording/ Mixing Down - Please Help! PA4X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealMac81

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Recording/ Mixing Down - Please Help! PA4X Reply with quote

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any of you that might be able to help:

So basically, I would prepare a midi file either from live styles or simply from GS Midi file.

Questions:

1. The volume seems very low once recorded as MP3, I know that MAXX studio can boost the outpoot signal, however not sure how to set this! Bare in mind that I am using the PAAS speakers so the sound resets to default once I unplugged the headphones.

2. What is the best balance you recommend ratio between Drums / Bass / Accompaniment in terms of volume ( midi mixdown to MP3 ). I have watched a lot of videos on you tube, especially AD ( Andronescu Daniel ) who is amazing, however I am still unsure/ unclear how can you have the best setting for mixdown (I will use the end product, as a backing track to perform/ sing in bars, venues, wedding ).

If you guys can point out a manual/ links, etc. would mean the world to me.

Thanks in advance!

Robbie
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly you are requesting what volume levels other users suggest to record a .mid file to mp3 for live playback at gigs ?

If that’s so I appreciate we all have our own ways of working but is using mp3s the best way I wonder? The reason I say this is because once the master mp3 mix is committed there is now way to then alter track volumes or eq or to balance the whole song and edit effects settings. In comparison using .mid files offer editbility at all times, live gigs can be very variable due to venue acoustics and if you use different sound systems or change you playback system having a mp3 mix might hinder you.

If it’s any use my own working pattern is using set of studio monitors and mix your tracks in the onboard sequencer along with any effects and once you are happy with this sub mix save it, then play it through your live sound system and see how it transfers from your studio monitors to your live sound system and try and do this in a decent acoustical space the same as you normally work in. Once you have a working idea of how your mixes transfer from one system to the other it’s quicker and easier to get your tracks sounding good.

I normally get sets of songs be they style based or .mid based and once they are sub mixed I then take my Pa4x and sound system to a venue and have the Pa4x outfront and use it like a mixing desk to tweak anything that might need tweaking like say a snare needs sorting out or a guitar is too loud in the mix. This method has allowed me to get very good mixes and once you have a set of songs like this then the only problems I run up against are venue room modes where it’s then easy to control overall volumes and E.Q on the fly.

My other safety measure as far as Mp3 recording goes is that once you have a mixed master set it’s recorded as individual tracks as mp3 songs and ported over to my iPad classsic as well as backed up on the Pa4x internal hard drive and double backed up on a thumb drive as are all the mixed .mid files.

In the event the Pa4x went down even using another keyboard would allow performance to continue. No doubt others have their own way of working but this works very well for me.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that midi file is best for performance from Pa4X .

But there are lots of other reasons to record to MP3, including backing tracks for home videos, sharing demos, or for others who don't have the Pa4x.

I have found that MP3's produced from the Pa4X are not normalised ( which is why they always sound too quiet). I use PC software (in my case Cubase) to normalise the file.

There are freebies you can use - Google 'increase gain on mp3'.

Hope this helps.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
RealMac81

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both of you, perhaps I am just lazy and trying to find a shortcut. I am aware of testing the mixdowns - I can only do this while I am preforming and that's via an Ipad as the PA4x is not with me sometimes.

It's crazy, I know but I think that it's only a matter of time till I figure it out the frequencies that requires tweaking.

Still - I have another question, If I may..

I usually mixdown, balance by listening via Head-Phones.

I've read a few other topics where certain MAXX audio presets are recommended which they sound fine at first listening as a whole ( style and play ) but I i just use the piano, it feels distorted.

Okay so the question: when the recording is underway ( play and record ) will the Pa4x take the MAXXaudio in account?

Thanks in advance guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: