Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Krome Spartan FPGA chip error

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
alfredokiwi
Senior Member


Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Korg Krome Spartan FPGA chip error Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I have a lot of Krome users having an error message on FPGA chip

[ System error id : 216 Task ID: 1 Line : 0401**/**/source/hardware/FPGA.cpp ]

It seems that the Spartan FPGA chip acting as interface between the EDS hardware and samples microSD card fails. Changing the internal microSD card donīt resolves the problem.

In such cases the only way to fix the issue is a new mainboard ??? Anyone have experienced such FPGA.cpp error ???
_________________
Please check my Facebook page and blog at

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar


Last edited by alfredokiwi on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:23 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bradkorg
Senior Member


Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 280

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just factory RESET/initialise the keyboard, somewhere there was software crash corrupts the OS/operating system. So reset should fix it.
And update the system OS:
https://www.korg.com/tmp/support/download/index.php/software/0/85/1477/?country=us&page=software&prodtype=0&prodid=85&fileid=1477


https://www.justanswer.com/electronic-musical-instruments/aqt78-korg-krome-88-startup-received-error.html

Quote:

Answered in 9 minutes by:
10/16/2017
Electronic Musical Instrument Expert: Ron Winston

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a Korg technician. Here is the basic information I can give you and what to try.
The power is turned on, but the display does
not work normally, or an error message is displayed.
There is no sound when you play the
keyboard, and the KROME does not function
normally.
This type of problem may occur if a data writing
operation to internal memory was not completed
correctly, for example, if the power of the KROME was
turned off while a program or other data was being
written. If this occurs, use the following procedure to
initialize the KROME’s internal memory.
1. Turn off the power.
2. Initialize the KROME. While holding down the
EXIT button and the PAGE button located beside
it, turn on the power of the KROME.
The KROME will be initialized, and data will be
written into internal memory. While the data is
being written, the display will indicate “Now writing
into internal memory.”
After initialization, all user data will be empty, and
you will need to re‐load the preload data. Execute
the Global mode menu command Load Preload/
Demo Data to load the data. → p.125
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
musiccankill
Platinum Member


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 591
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Krome Spartan FPGA chip error Reply with quote

alfredokiwi wrote:
Hi folks,

I have a lot of Krome users having an error message on FPGA chip

[ System error id : 216 Task ID: 1 Line : 0401**/**/source/hardware/FPGA.ccp ]

It seems that the Spartan FPGA chip acting as interface between the EDS hardware and samples microSD card fails. Changing the internal microSD card donīt resolves the problem.

In such cases the only way to fix the issue is a new mainboard ??? Anyone have experienced such FPGA.ccp error ???


The new sd needs to have the correct data in it too!Have you checked that?
_________________
~~~The best keyboard for any player is the one that fits his/her needs!~~~

Korg keyboards owned now: pa4x, pa700, pa300, triton extreme 61
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alfredokiwi
Senior Member


Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is sporadic going worse. Replacing the micro sdCard doesnīt helps, I tested the sdCard in another Krome and runs flawlessly.

It seems to be a premature failure on Spartan FPGA chip meaning that the only solution is to buy a new mainboard, we are talking about a Krome with 4 years of use.

Unfortunately FPGA.cpp error is a fatal hardware issue.

I found users complaining about the issues on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/KORGusa/posts/hi-guys-i-wrote-to-korg-support-but-they-dont-answering-anything-i-got-a-korg-kr/10151289704451080/

The //source/hardware/FPGA.cpp error seems to be a new issue not related with older micro sdCard corruption //source/hardware/SDcardIF.cpp

[img] https://scontent-eze1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/28701544_140902613403385_5751618835530250768_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=697bc914b7020176f815358404019b5c&oe=5C2A8EDD [/img]
_________________
Please check my Facebook page and blog at

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
musiccankill
Platinum Member


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 591
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh thats not good..
Hope mine lasts long...
Well i would love to have a look at those faulty boards.Maybe just replacing the fpga will solve the problem..
_________________
~~~The best keyboard for any player is the one that fits his/her needs!~~~

Korg keyboards owned now: pa4x, pa700, pa300, triton extreme 61
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alfredokiwi
Senior Member


Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
Ohh thats not good..
Hope mine lasts long...
Well i would love to have a look at those faulty boards.Maybe just replacing the fpga will solve the problem..


The entire mainboard should be replaced is impossible to replace only the FPGA chip runs a firmware inside. KORG donīt provide standalone chips for custom repairs.
_________________
Please check my Facebook page and blog at

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
musiccankill
Platinum Member


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 591
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FPGA's doesn't have firmware...
They have verilog or vhdl code which is loaded from external memory most of the times...
_________________
~~~The best keyboard for any player is the one that fits his/her needs!~~~

Korg keyboards owned now: pa4x, pa700, pa300, triton extreme 61
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alfredokiwi
Senior Member


Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
FPGA's doesn't have firmware...
They have verilog or vhdl code which is loaded from external memory most of the times...


Is a firmware inside FPGA is like a "hardware cells configuration" before soldering.

"FPGA-Code" is more or less the same as "Firmware". There is no official definition or standard, also no defacto standard.

The problem is the lack of a solution from KORG engineering, because we are talking about new products that donīt last more as five years.
_________________
Please check my Facebook page and blog at

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bradkorg
Senior Member


Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 280

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The issue is sporadic going worse. Replacing the micro sdCard doesnīt helps, I tested the sdCard in another Krome and runs flawlessly.

Since its not totally dead and keeps working/failing intermittently during warm-up/cooling-down is mostly bad solderjoints, ie BGA solderballs.

alfredokiwi wrote:
musiccankill wrote:
FPGA's doesn't have firmware...
They have verilog or vhdl code which is loaded from external memory most of the times...


Is a firmware inside FPGA is like a "hardware cells configuration" before soldering.

"FPGA-Code" is more or less the same as "Firmware". There is no official definition or standard, also no defacto standard.

The problem is the lack of a solution from KORG engineering, because we are talking about new products that donīt last more as five years.

There's always a DIY solution.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Original-LFE3-95EA-7FN672I-IC-FPGA_60485167148.html
example

If the FPGA chip is a BGA type, most likely it needs a reflow/reballing rework due the use of mandatory Leadfree solder which was a disaster in the early implementation.
The solderballs will brittle in time and loose electric contact, like the xbox360 RROD disaster.

First DIY fix try is to reheat the BGA with heatgun.
Else use a BGA reballing service for rework.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/bga-re-heat-question/

Tutorial is everywheregoogle:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bga+reflow+reheat+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

https://olimex.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/bga-chips-soldering-and-replacement-tutorial/


Last edited by bradkorg on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alfredokiwi
Senior Member


Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradkorg wrote:
alfredokiwi wrote:
musiccankill wrote:
FPGA's doesn't have firmware...
They have verilog or vhdl code which is loaded from external memory most of the times...


Is a firmware inside FPGA is like a "hardware cells configuration" before soldering.

"FPGA-Code" is more or less the same as "Firmware". There is no official definition or standard, also no defacto standard.

The problem is the lack of a solution from KORG engineering, because we are talking about new products that donīt last more as five years.

There's always a DIY solution.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Original-LFE3-95EA-7FN672I-IC-FPGA_60485167148.html
example

If the FPGA chip is a BGA type, most likely it needs a reflow/reballing rework due the use of mandatory Leadfree solder which was a disaster in the early implementation.
The solderballs will brittle in time and loose electric contact, like the xbox360 RROD disaster.

First DIY fix try is to reheat the BGA with heatgun.
Else use a BGA reballing service for rework.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/bga-re-heat-question/

Tutorial is everywheregoogle:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bga+reflow+reheat+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab


Korg engineering should recall all Krome users for a free replacement of the mainboard in case of failures. Is not a question to compete for a custom self repair because replacing BGA chips are very difficult with low successful rate. The mainboard was not designed for desoldering/resoldering chips. Repairs centers are aware of that so a new mainboard is the only solution..
_________________
Please check my Facebook page and blog at

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar


Last edited by alfredokiwi on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bradkorg
Senior Member


Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 280

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfredokiwi wrote:
bradkorg wrote:
alfredokiwi wrote:
musiccankill wrote:
FPGA's doesn't have firmware...
They have verilog or vhdl code which is loaded from external memory most of the times...


Is a firmware inside FPGA is like a "hardware cells configuration" before soldering.

"FPGA-Code" is more or less the same as "Firmware". There is no official definition or standard, also no defacto standard.

The problem is the lack of a solution from KORG engineering, because we are talking about new products that donīt last more as five years.

There's always a DIY solution.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Original-LFE3-95EA-7FN672I-IC-FPGA_60485167148.html
example

If the FPGA chip is a BGA type, most likely it needs a reflow/reballing rework due the use of mandatory Leadfree solder which was a disaster in the early implementation.
The solderballs will brittle in time and loose electric contact, like the xbox360 RROD disaster.

First DIY fix try is to reheat the BGA with heatgun.
Else use a BGA reballing service for rework.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/bga-re-heat-question/

Tutorial is everywheregoogle:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bga+reflow+reheat+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab


Korg engineering should recall all Krome users for a free replacement of the mainboard in case of failures. Is not a question to compete for a custom self repair because replacing BGA chips are very difficult with low successful rate. The mainboard was not designed for desoldering/resoldering chips. Repais centers are aware of that so a new mainboard is the only solution..


So whats your point exactly? ofcourse Korg should fix it in warranty!? and out of warranty the customer must pay for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group