Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too much to ask for on the ribbon?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Too much to ask for on the ribbon? Reply with quote

Any way to trigger a sample just using the ribbon? Don't want to hook up a nano pad for one silly tune. Already using the screen pads for other samples and I don't want to assign it to a key. Thanks.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribbon is one of those few controls on the surface that is not assignable.
The CC# behind ribbon may be assignable to other controls but ribbon itself cannot be assigned a new CC# or Note#.

Whats wrong with using the bottom note nearest to the Ribbon?
Using that to trigger your sample.. ?
Also the virtual pads on screen can do the job instead of nanoPad. Of course virtual pads on screen comes with its own inconveniences.
Not as inconvenient as trying to get ribbon to work outside of its CC# box.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a NanoPad for one of those situations and have discovered the amazing number of uses for the pad. It has become integral to my setup. I trigger samples, chords, drones etc. with ease. Love the NanoPad!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it's totally possible. The setup is a bit sophisticated though. You'll need to assign the Ribbon to Trigger Notes in the Dynamic MIDI tab. The GE that triggers the note should have it's Note Range set to zero and then transposed to whichever key you assigned the sample to. It would be some low key off the range of your keyboard. Actually you'll probably need a custom Drum Melodic GE to pull it off.

I don't know if that's enough for you to figure it out on your own... but a full-on explanation/tutorial would take quite a long time.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! I'll give it a try.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamic midi is based on “Source” and “Destination”.

I looked it up after my last comment here but decided not to comment on it because i don’t have kronos with me to run the routine on. Also i was not sure how to get the GE to trigger the note without the GE pattern effect defining how the note plays.

Either way, Ribbon is on the dynamic Midi “Source” list.
It is not on the parameter guide’s dynamic midi “Destination” list.
I aslo could not make sense of which item on the destination list would do the job of sending the ribbon’s midi message through to become a basic note play message.

Ribbon being on the dynamic midi “source” list, means that you can set ribbon up to control any of the parameters or options on the dynamic midi “destination” list.

Here is an excerpt from parameter guide page 1119, describing the option for note trigger on the dynamic midi “destination” list.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Trigger Notes & Envs [Momentary, Toggle, Continuous]
Dynamic MIDI Sources & Destinations Dynamic MIDI Destinations
Trigger Notes
Trigger Env 1
Trigger Env 2
Trigger Env 3
[Momentary, Toggle, Continuous]
Examples
Setting 1 (Program mode)
Control by joystick operations.
Dynamic MIDI 1 Source (7–7b):
Dynamic MIDI 1 Bottom (7–7b): Dynamic MIDI 1 Top (7–7b): Dynamic MIDI 1 Action (7–7b): Dynamic MIDI 1 Destination (7–7b): Dynamic MIDI 1 Polarity (7–7b): Clock Advance Mode (7–3b): Setting 2 (Program mode)
JS+Y (CC#01) 000 127 Momentary Clock Advance + Dyn
Control triggering of GE phrases and/or Envelopes 1/2/3 of the KARMA module. With Trigger Notes & Envs, GE phrases and Envelopes 1/2/3 will all be triggered. Other settings allow these to be triggered individually.
If you are using a GE that does not use envelopes, the envelope-related settings made here will be ignored. (+VNL)”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even so, it is still not as simple as just what i have mentioned.
It isn’t too hard either, once you have the basic concept of dynamic midi handled.
“Performance real-time parameters” page in karma, may need to also be set up along with Dynamic midi. The Karma video below covers performance real-time parameters in the tutorial.
Pages 608 for timbre/tracks and 127 for program, where parameter guide gives an overview of Dynamic midi.
The other part, besides “source & destination”, is setting up the Module assignment on both the input side and output side within the dynamic midi page, and that is after determining module setup in the Karma GE setup page with Midi I/O and all.
You also have top and bottom ranges, “polarity” and “Action” to specify.

“Ribbon” set on “source” side and then “Trigger notes /envelopes” set on “destination” side.
Set the dynamic midi page input Module to match the module with midi channel from wherever ribbon message will be playing/sending from.
Then set the module designation on the destination side.
Charles Ferraro gave clues about the top and bottom range settings.

Still not sure if envelope trigger will be isolated from note trigger and if or how the note triggered will be isolated from the GE pattern driving the note.
May depend on the GE type you use. I am not sure which GE is best for this. Also i may be wrong about a lot more that i mentioned ,if Performamce real time parameters setup determines things in Dynamic midi needing to be set up a different way.
I know i am in the ballpark and in the right direction.
Best i can come up with, without Kronos in front of me.

If you have never done a dynamic midi setup before and are not so familiar with GE setup in Karma, i suggest you first practice GE setup in Karma and then watch the below link to video for a dynamic midi turorial that sets up dynamic midi but not for the specific control scheme you are looking for.
I already mentioned what items from source & destination side you most likely would instead need for your purposes. The module designations would depend entirely on what you have set up in GE setup page.

https://youtu.be/hbj1CWyKfDc
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats the link to the Dynamic midi setup video tutorial.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gigs this weekend, but I'll give it a try next week. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: