Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

humming/buzzing - No audio - Help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyAardvark
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: humming/buzzing - No audio - Help please Reply with quote

Evidently I resurrected quite an old post [see below].

Hi to all those that remember me from quite a while back... I am still playing... have certainly got back into recording and have treated myself to a few new bits of gear over the last couple of years.

Still been using the Triton extreme 88 mainly as a controller but sometimes for sounds and also if I ever gig again it may well be needed.

Sudden loss of sound. Noticeable noise/digital clicks when switching between patches pressing buttons - especially via the headphone output. Same present I think via the LR jacks but quieter

Like the original OP (OK this was a while ago and they only posted one post - so unlikely to be back) I have had it come back to life tonight but then go again.

I was messing with the Valve force to see if I could see a faint orange glow... (it will just start to do this if driven fully) as I have wondered if that was the issue with the signal path. Have not been able to recreate it coming back.

Anyhow, Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and any ideas about good repairers ideally Korg authorized/approved in the midlands area.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Original post replied to...

Re: HELP humming/buzzing when cable plugged in

extrasupervery wrote:
My keyboard is humming/buzzing whenever I plug a cable in, whether it's in the back port or the front headphone jack. It is a constant hum, and I can't get any sounds from the keyboard. Here's the story of how it got to this point...

I have a Triton Extreme 88 that I purchased new in 2007. It has always worked perfectly with no problems....

The volume of the humming increases/decreases with the volume knob. In other words, you won't hear it if I turn the volume all the way down on the keyboard. ....

My perfectly good keyboard is no longer playable suddenly and I am super bummed! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gear and Knowledge Areas: Triton EX88, Alesis Micron, Kawai K4, Moog Sub 37, Elektron A4, Dave Smith Prophet Rev 2, Modal Craft Synth, Dreadbox Erebus V3, PO32, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Reason 10, Various (oops shedloads of) softsynths
My Music and Collaborations : https://soundcloud.com/essjay88
SoundWerx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, without a bench diagnosis it's hard to say. I would be suspicious of a dryed out/leaking capacitor or dry joint in the amplifier/audio out circuitry. Perhaps similar to what has happened to many a 01W or 01R/W in the past.

It may be worth removing the base and taking a good look at the internals with a bright light and a magnifying glass. Leaking caps can be spotted without too much trouble, dry joints are different story. If you suspect a dry joint you can gently tap around the underside of a circuit board with the non-conductive (handle) end of a screwdriver while the unit is on and see if the sound comes right, if it does... you've got a dry joint OR a loose connector somewhere. As always... BE extremely careful working with a live circuit and stay the hell away from the the mains inlet and internal transformer.

The good news is that either of those things are easy to repair, it would be a bit more involved however if you do have a leaking cap where the electrolytic fluid has damaged some surrounding circuit board tracks.

If you decide to do this make sure you have something solid to lean the top of EX88 up against... it's a very heavy item to work on. Best to unscrew the base from underneath on a keyboard stand then flip the top of the EX88 up against an adjacent wall. Be careful of the headphone jack and unplug it before you lift the top up too much.
JohnnyAardvark
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers. I had it come back temporarily a couple of times and has now been working consistently fine for several days and restarts (on off cycles) but I suspect this is only a temporary reprieve.

I also contacted Korg and they can't recommend a local authorised repairer but could have it looked at in Milton Keynes? Thoughts?

I also have a recomendation of a local repairer from a music shop that a may consider. My Alesis Micron and K4 require a little attention too so I may try them out on those first.

thanks

Steve
Gear and Knowledge Areas: Triton EX88, Alesis Micron, Kawai K4, Moog Sub 37, Elektron A4, Dave Smith Prophet Rev 2, Modal Craft Synth, Dreadbox Erebus V3, PO32, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Reason 10, Various (oops shedloads of) softsynths
JohnnyAardvark
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped by and thought I'd leave an update on this post.

Finally got to the stage where I couldn't cope with how unreliable it had become (re above intermittent fault) went back to Korg UK - took it to Milton Keynes myself. New mainboard so not too cheap but the whole keyboard came back and felt like new. Really impressed with the service.

Thanks Korg!

Steve
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most probably the old motherboard is fixable too..
As long as it boots and menu works, most problems are easily fixable (some not so cheap though as parts are obsolete and so their price has climbed)..
If you wish to sell the old motherboard please send me a pm.

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
JohnnyAardvark
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
Most probably the old motherboard is fixable too..
As long as it boots and menu works, most problems are easily fixable (some not so cheap though as parts are obsolete and so their price has climbed)..
If you wish to sell the old motherboard please send me a pm.

oh well. didn't think you ask duke the old main board back Rolling Eyes

Happy that it's working though and to be fair I do hoard far too much stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: