Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS 2, SSD : Adding or Replacement ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: KRONOS 2, SSD : Adding or Replacement ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to add or replace original 60 go ssd by a bigger one, because I have to install many third party sound banks with samples.

So, if I choose to add a second SSD, I would want to know if I can proceed to an Install of Korg sound banks for example (or another brand) on the second SSD, as I can do on the first one ? Is it possible to choose between the both ?

My second question is : is Kronos able the manage big size SSD as 500go or 1to ?

Thanks
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone there who would be nice to answer me ? Thanks
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest googling the forum

This is almost a FAQ

Lets clarify what your goal or main content is; you say ' Korg sound banks "

PCG sounds can be stored on either SSD.

3rd party samples are another thing. I vaguely recall discussion where they need to be installed on the K's boot SSD. If you google for this you might
find the answer quicker
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I would suggest googling the forum

This is almost a FAQ

Lets clarify what your goal or main content is; you say ' Korg sound banks "

PCG sounds can be stored on either SSD.

3rd party samples are another thing. I vaguely recall discussion where they need to be installed on the K's boot SSD. If you google for this you might
find the answer quicker

Yes, I was speaking of the sound banks we get on Shop Korg, with a serial number.
Thank you Greg.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an additional HDD installed.

I . remember that I do have some sample libraries installed on the second HDD as well. So that likely works. However, I haven't used Kronos for a while due to a back injury so cannot check it out ATM.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
I have an additional HDD installed.

I . remember that I do have some sample libraries installed on the second HDD as well. So that likely works. However, I haven't used Kronos for a while due to a back injury so cannot check it out ATM.

Thanks Amit. I will try that very soon.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
I was speaking of the sound banks we get on Shop Korg, with a serial number.
Thank you Greg.

As Geg noted , all commercial/protected sound libraries bin files of GBs are always installed in Kronos System SSD !
Users with 2nd SSD installed in Kronos have the option to install only PCG & KSC files of a few MBs in 2nd SSD not the
main encrypted library samples !
So if your target is Korg Store or any other third party protected sound libraries , you'd better upgrade Boot SSD as the only option ...
BTW : 500Gb are supported by OS v3

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Thank you all for your answers.

Yesterday, I have installed my second SSD 250 Go, and I have two remarks to do :

1°) The system SSD was connected to Sata 1 and not Sata 0. I did a try to connect the secondary SSD to the free Sata input, Sata 0. I thought the Kronos would not boot that way, but it worked well.

2°) I did a try to install an official sound bank (from shop Korg), and a new menu appeared, it displayed the two SSD and so, I was able to choose between the both, the system one (SSD 1) or the new one (SSD 2). So, it is a good news !!
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
2°) I did a try to install an official sound bank (from shop Korg), and a new menu appeared,
it displayed the two SSD and so, I was able to choose between the both, the system one (SSD 1) or the new one (SSD 2).
So, it is a good news !!
As I've written before , you have installed only some Mb of PCG & KSC files in 2nd SSD , main GB streaming library has been
installed in boot SSD , so always check boot SSD size after installing an EXs in 2nd SSD and see what I mean ...
If I were You , I would had cloned OS SSD in 250Mb SSD and then re-partition SSD to meet the actual 250Mb SSD space ...
this is the only thing you need !

Liviou2004 wrote:
1°) The system SSD was connected to Sata 1 and not Sata 0. I did a try to connect the secondary SSD
to the free Sata input, Sata 0. I thought the Kronos would not boot that way, but it worked well.
Kronos motherboard will initially search port 0 for booting system and then port 1 , taking advantage of this you can have an
external SATA port of port 0 and every time you add there a cloned OS SSD , Kronos will boot from this one , as I always have
a spare SSD in case of Kronos boot SSD failure in gigs !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
2°) I did a try to install an official sound bank (from shop Korg), and a new menu appeared,
it displayed the two SSD and so, I was able to choose between the both, the system one (SSD 1) or the new one (SSD 2).
So, it is a good news !!
As I've written before , you have installed only some Mb of PCG & KSC files in 2nd SSD , main GB streaming library has been
installed in boot SSD , so always check boot SSD size after installing an EXs in 2nd SSD and see what I mean ...
If I were You , I would had cloned OS SSD in 250Mb SSD and then re-partition SSD to meet the actual 250Mb SSD space ...
this is the only thing you need !

Sorry, but you're wrong ! When I began the re-installation procedure, I got 5 go free on boot SSD. After some re-installations, the files on boot SSD 1 has been deleted and copied on SSD 2. So, I see the boot SSD 1 space increased (now 10 go free) and the SSD 2 space decreased.
* This was for sound banks already installed.
* For new banks, the boot SSD 1 free space stays the same as the SSD 2 decreased. Nothing is added in boot SSD 1, I've checked it.

So I have chosen this procedure rather than the clone one, because it works very well and easier to follow.

Last edited by Liviou2004 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

Liviou2004 wrote:
1°) The system SSD was connected to Sata 1 and not Sata 0. I did a try to connect the secondary SSD
to the free Sata input, Sata 0. I thought the Kronos would not boot that way, but it worked well.
Kronos motherboard will initially search port 0 for booting system and then port 1 , taking advantage of this you can have an
external SATA port of port 0 and every time you add there a cloned OS SSD , Kronos will boot from this one , as I always have
a spare SSD in case of Kronos boot SSD failure in gigs !

Hope this helps

On the Kronos 2 motherboard, the Sata ports are not called Sata 0 and Sata 1 but Sata2_1 and Sata2_ 2
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK until my last intallation test in 2017 (in many customers Kronos X units) , 2nd storage SSD had not been formatted in the way to
support EXs banks in the required PCM system folder !
Maybe things have been changed in Kronos 2 concerning this , if you can see in 2nd SSD the system folder "PCM" ...

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
AFAIK until my last intallation test in 2017 (in many customers Kronos X units) , 2nd storage SSD had not been formatted in the way to
support EXs banks in the required PCM system folder !
Maybe things have been changed in Kronos 2 concerning this , if you can see in 2nd SSD the system folder "PCM" ...

Yes. All files have been stored on SSD 2. 10 GO have been freed on boot SSD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: