Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combi mode - delay new sound until keypress

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Combi mode - delay new sound until keypress Reply with quote

I recently got a new Kronos 2 ... had Havian 30 prior. Just beginning to learn Kronos 2. I am working on a combination. For simplicity sake, there are two sounds ... slot #1 = piano ... slot #2 = strings. I have slot #2 muted. When I press "play" on slot #2, the sound starts immediately. I would like it to play on the next key press (whatever that key might be at the time). Is there a way to do this? The Havian did this automatically. I know a little about "smooth transition", but, I'm not sure that's what this needs. I need the #2 sound not to come in until the next key press, even though I'm fine with the previous sound continuing through. Hope this makes sense.
Rigel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you can do that on the Kronos, but I believe it is impossible. But you can add predetermined delays (in milliseconds) to trigger the notes of programs in a combi using timber parameter/delay page in combi editor.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Drummond

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In global mode try switching the mute mode between 'live' and 'studio' and see if you get the behavior you want.
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma also has a Delay function which does Millisecond rate of adjustments to delays but also it has a delay function that does note value rate of adjustment.
Note value like Whole, half, quarter, e.t.c, notes..

The setup for that is a bit complicated, but it is there on Karma trigger page.

~~~~~~~~~Page 117 parameter guide ~~~~~~~~~~

Delay
Specify the delay from when the trigger (by note data) is input, until the phrase or pattern starts.
3...4x1: Specify the delay time as a note value interval relative to the tempo.
Fixed: The delay time will be specified in time units (ms). Set the time in “Delay Start Fixed.”
Delay Start Fixed [0000 ms... 5000 ms]
This is valid if “Delay Start” is set to Fixed. Set “Delay Start” in ms units. The delay specified here will remaing constant, even when the tempo is changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It says delay of the pattern play, but i think the pattern can be bypassed and just Midi I/O setup routes the input note data through karma and then out without the GE pattern applied. I hope that is right.

Better to read from the Parameter guide because my excerpt left out some page characters that my copy and paste could not reproduce. My excerpt left out musical note symbols and more.
Also that is a parameter guide typo where it writes “remaing constant” rather than remain constant.

THE QUESTION I HAVE ABOUT USING DELAY: Doesn’t delay setting mean that it will delay every note played and not just the first note played ?

Sounds like the topic question here is about delaying the first note only in a selected timbre program and then after, it will sound out at the second note input, it goes on to sound out normally without any more delay from there. Question

I also thought about using Step sequencer to to program a sequence that gets applied to AMS. But no Kronos here with me to see if it is a possible option.
It would have to be AMS over some parameter that causes the program sound to go silent. Maybe even an FX parameter if possible to use step sequencer there.
Just guess work of what i would try if i had kronos with me.
Not sure here if step sequencer option is available or if it would work well even if the right parameter were available.
Also could be a bit of AMS response lag where note data has to reach step sequencer to then be sent on to AMS and then change the modulated parameter for a single step and then back, all before the initial note-on action has a chance to sound off the oscillator in normal fashion.
And even then, it would only allow 64 steps before it cycles back to cause the delay effect again, if it were possible to use step sequencer like that.

Karma trigger, Perf Real-Time Parameters and maybe even Dynamic midi all working together, may be an option but i have no solid clue on how i would go about it if it were possible.
Just the idea if there is a way to use karma trigger to make a delay and have that work with “1st note” feature to apply the trigger delay to first note only.
And still have all that bypass the GE pattern and affect regular through-notes via Karma Midi I/O.
Hmmmm.
brianboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Combi mode - delay new sound until keypress Reply with quote

Thanks for the input .... I'll look into those suggestions. Will get back if I am able to successfully implement this.
brianboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Combi mode - delay new sound until keypress Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
In global mode try switching the mute mode between 'live' and 'studio' and see if you get the behavior you want.

That worked !!! Switching to "live" for mute mode makes the slot / track come in when next key / note is pressed. I appreciate your help. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: