Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Mode Midi data

View previous topic :: View next topic  
go2ldook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Mono Mode Midi data Reply with quote

I have a Roland PK5a basspedal that I use to trigger my Kronos while playing guitar. It has a Mono mode which will hold the note even after you remove your foot, holding it until another note is pressed. When I don't want it to hold I usually just set that note up to turn off with Vector Control on the Kronos.

Now I want to trigger the note the same way from my Mastermind PBC, which allows you to put in Midi messages for Presets. That way I can, for example, switch to a guitar solo Preset, while simultaneously triggering the next note I need on the Kronos. The only problem I have is that the note won't turn off UNLESS I use Vector Control, which is not always desirable. I press another note back on the PK5a, but the note I triggered from my Mastermind continues to sound.

Clearly there is some kind of MIDI message in addition to the Note/Velocity data that I need to send. I know with a MIDI keyboard there is apparently a "Note Off" message when you release a key, but there must also be some other message that goes with this Mono mode function. I tried a CC fro Mono mode and a CC for Hold, but didn't help.

Anyone with MIDI experience know what CC would control a note to hold until a different note is pressed?
go2ldook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...so for anyone who ever searches this topic, I have the answer...at least the answer to why this does not work.

Apparently the PK5a basspedals, when in Mono mode, sends a Note Off message first, then a Note On, and it keeps track of the notes pressed. So if you have the C note sounding, when you press a D Note, you get C Note Off, followed by D Note On. What I don't understand is why the note cannot be turned off. If I trigger a C note through channel 2 using a MasterMind Preset, that note keeps going until I change Programs on the Kronos. I would think that I could turn that C off, perhaps by re-pressing C, then going to D and get a subsequent C Note Off message.

HOWEVER....the answer to the problem is that in my Combi under Tibre Paraneter/OSC, I changed Max # Notes from PRG to 1. Problem now solved. That program will only sound one note at a time no matter what.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go2ldook wrote:
OK...so for anyone who ever searches this topic, I have the answer...at least the answer to why this does not work.

Apparently the PK5a basspedals, when in Mono mode, sends a Note Off message first, then a Note On, and it keeps track of the notes pressed. So if you have the C note sounding, when you press a D Note, you get C Note Off, followed by D Note On. What I don't understand is why the note cannot be turned off. If I trigger a C note through channel 2 using a MasterMind Preset, that note keeps going until I change Programs on the Kronos. I would think that I could turn that C off, perhaps by re-pressing C, then going to D and get a subsequent C Note Off message.

HOWEVER....the answer to the problem is that in my Combi under Tibre Paraneter/OSC, I changed Max # Notes from PRG to 1. Problem now solved. That program will only sound one note at a time no matter what.

Thanks for the update. Based on what it sounds like to me, Kronos feature for polarity switching of parameter control, comes to mind.
I am not really sure if it can factor into your situation, but it is what i would start looking for.
If polarity switching could allow the note messages to go in reverse order. Being two different note messages, i have doubts, but that they send together on the same input, makes me wonder what if polarity flip could work.
Karma seems to offer polarity switch for parameters or controls.
I just don’t know if it is possible to work in note message control for polarity switch. Dynamic midi with Performance realtime parameters ?
I don’t have Kronos with me to prove things out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: