Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Under The Milky Way" (The Church) Arpeggio help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: "Under The Milky Way" (The Church) Arpeggio help Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out how to get those "shimmering" arpeggio's found on the song "Under The Milky Way" by The Church starting at 1:31 into the song. Has anyone tried this before? I'm not actually covering the song, but I like the effect and I want to use it for something else.

Thanks in advance!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe dig up a YouTube where the keyboard part isn't buried in the mix.

If you go to Wikipedia on the song, its possible keys were not used.
There is a brief interview on the song writing origin.

It was good to read about this Aussie band and their long history.
tenohtwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My band covered Milky Way years ago, and I ended up purchasing a MIDI file from an Australian MIDI file website, and the quality of the programming was pretty impressive. I used my Triton Extreme for the song, and whatever MIDI voice that was auto-assigned actually sounded great. Here's an old live recording (soundboard) from a gig in 2011, you can hear the arps throughout:

https://soundcloud.com/thecorrugation/under-the-milky-way-live-cover

Let me know if you want the MIDI file, and I'll send it to you Smile

Alternately, you can hear the arps isolated on this backing track website. It's not the original Church music, but you can hear the pattern by itself. Maybe you can record the audio with Audacity and slow it down (or you get a free download on the site if you sign up).

https://www.jamkazam.com/landing/jamtracks/the-church-under-the-milky-way

MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those arpeggio's are pretty spot on! Yes, please send the midi files along if you still have them. Also, what kind of sound did you use?
tenohtwo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI_1984 wrote:
Wow, those arpeggio's are pretty spot on! Yes, please send the midi files along if you still have them. Also, what kind of sound did you use?

If you can PM me an email address, I will send you the file, as I don't think it's possible through PM here. I found the file last night, so it's ready to send.

I don't have my Triton anymore, and I moved on to the Kronos (but am thinking of buying one again, I programmed a ton of songs on it). I honestly don't remember what sound was assigned to the arp track, but it may have been a percussive sound from the Arp program bank (pretty sure the Triton had one). It's not quite a bell, not quite a marimba or xylophone, but somewhere in that area. When you get the file, just load it and see what your synth defaults to, it could already be close enough. Smile

holdsg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

always loved that song. fun bass line too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: