Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damper pedal function control on organ programs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Damper pedal function control on organ programs Reply with quote

For example Joey's Jazz organ. I have assigned the damper pedal to control the rotary speaker fast/slow switch.

But I can't figure out how to set it so the damper pedal does not also act as a sustain pedal

I often use the patch in a combi, and I know I can use the midi filter page to disable damper to that timbre, but then that disables damper pedal control of the rotary speaker speed, too.

I must be missing something at the Program level to disable the Damper pedal from acting as a sustain/hold pedal, but still let it control rotary speaker speed. Where is it?

Thanks!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never found a way to disable damper function in program.
It comes through as a global function on global channel.
Programs have a way of holding notes without sustain pedal, but i never found anything to disable sustain pedal, not even in Global mode.
Combi uses midi filters to filter it out.

Karma has midi filters but you may just end up with the same issue as with combi midi filters.
Hard to think through it without Kronos here, but maybe some kind of midi I/O setup that lets you use a channel other than global where Damper sustain would still work over the non global channel but without making sustain.
If Karma has a way to let Damper be used on a non global channel.
I have doubts but i am not able to test it out without Kronos here.

Karma midi filters separate filters for midi messages recieved and filters for midi messages transmited, and even uses wording like: echo damper CC#64 message to tone generator.
Seems to not say it would not allow CC#64 to message as AMS option to parameters.
So that is a reason why i would go to Karma midi filters to try it, even though combi midi filters stop all of the message anywhere it is used.

I hope you know how to stop the GE notes from playing so that you only use Karma for the Midi I/O and filter features, if it is even able to work for your application.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatives (since damper pedal is very likely hardwired in the CX3 engine, except if ever possible using a Karma wizardry) :

- Use a foot switch separate from the damper to achieve what you want.

- Use a simple remapping device/software to reassign MIDI sustain in the organ programs you need.

- If your problem is simply to avoid hearing momentarily stuck notes when you press the sustain to change Leslie speed, you could also set the organ amp main output to minus a gazillion (see CX-3 7-1 F in parameter guide) with AMS = MIDI#64. Of course, this will create a new problem, as instead of hearing momentarily stuck notes during Leslie speed change, the whole organ will now be silent while pressing the sustain pedal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: