Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg DS8 workaround or fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splinters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Korg DS8 workaround or fix Reply with quote

I recently acquired a sorry looking DS8 which I have restored to its former glory (as much as you can for a 32 year old synth). I stripped it down, cleaned everything and the only part not working is the Up/Yes button. I suspect it’s the micro switch but no idea why as every other switch works perfectly. I would rather not get the soldering iron out and can navigate everything except saving a patch or combi which asks if you are sure. As I can’t press Yes I can’t save rendering it pretty useless.
Is there any other way of saving or, failing that, anyone know where I can get a new microswitch?
splinters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed a UK repair store selling all the control boards (untested) for £10 delivered. At worst I could get a few switches off those presuming the boards don’t work perfectly fine. Plan B, is there any way of writing patches without the Yes button?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only one button fails to work, the chances are the switch contacts of that button are not connecting properly. It could be dirt on the contacts, or a broken contact. Either way, switch replacement is the way to go. There are 33 of them in the DS8, and another board could be used as a donor. Alternatively, Mouser sell them - search for Mouser part: 688-SKHHAJ.
splinters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the boards but thanks for the tip.
splinters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, boards came and for some reason the supplier decided to offload all their remaining DS8 stock so I got a main board, three control boards, the card reader and a spare LCD.
Popped the control boards in and everything works perfectly. Next job will be to fit a battery holder and a new battery so it has a bit more life expectancy.
Thanks for the top on the microswitch, may get one and repair the removed board so I have a spare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: