Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aftertouch sensitivity question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Aftertouch sensitivity question Reply with quote

Currently I'm working this Rick James tune, Give it To Me Baby:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-Lkry-SF01&hsimp=yhs-SF01&hspart=Lkry&p=give+it+to+me+baby#id=1&vid=007d37377f06e23528d8b514f0f8e160&action=click

For the signature synth part that runs throughout the entire song, I've chosen the stock Program, U-078:FunKey, which uses the MS-20 engine,as the ground floor for my programming. I want to control the Frequency Modulation with Aftertouch rather than the +Y joystick setting. I selected aftertouch and increased the intensity to +8.0. However, for the aftertouch to begin affecting the source, I find myself having to press really, really hard, which is not only distracting due to the fact I am playing an electric piano with my left hand, but due to the current state, I can't consistently produce the desired modulation.I also can sense some pain developing in my right wrist being forced to use such undo pressure.
Is there anything I can address in this Program to alleviate the amount of aftertouch is needed to create the intended amount of vibrato? Am I correct in even addressing the frequency modulation source to achieve what I attempting? Thanks!
Mark
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AT problem on the Kronos is well known and is related to hardware. I designed a mod to fix it but it is not for everyone (see my sig).

An alternative would be for you to try augmenting the AT effect using AMS mixers with AT as both inputs added or multiplied, etc. But depending on each/your Kronos, this might be of no help as it has more to do with the AT circuit triggering threshold.

Another option is to try to improve your AT using the (IMHO extremely ineffective) global mode AT calibration thing. Try to set it as low as possible, as soon as the bar becomes dark. Good luck.
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KK,
I'll take the path of least resistance and try Global Mode.
Mark
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello KK,

Watching again you interesting video about aftertouch. But you don't explain where to connect switch and potentiometer ?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Liviou2004,

Sorry to be late, I just found your question today. I don't provide all the info in the video as it's not for everyone and it involves some risks with a little soldering, etc. If you know how to safely handle/solder delicate electronic components, don't mind opening your unit and do several tests, it might be for you as well. Anyone can PM me for details and the circuit to build if you are interested.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you calibrate the after touch in Global Mode?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Did you calibrate the after touch in Global Mode?

Following KK advice, that's what he did, one year ago !!

==>
musicbysterling wrote:
Thanks KK,
I'll take the path of least resistance and try Global Mode.
Mark
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musta fixed it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: