Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa4X same mainboard & sound engine as Pa3XLe and Pa600 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, I agree that the idea of complaining about the quality of MP3 recording being not great is a bit of a contradiction.

If you give a rats about quality, you are recording externally at 24/96.

Now, you want to find something really important to complain about, how about polyphony? Genos has raised the bar to 256 voices. You start to layer a lot, use DNC with reserved voices for performance effects, you need polyphony.

Or, you could complain about the scant insert effect architecture, easily outperformed by even a lowly BK-9, let alone a Genos.

Or you could complain about sample streaming, or loading speeds, or anything that really affects the music you play.

But complaining that you have trouble recording poor quality MP3's, when there is no such thing as 'good quality' when it comes to lossy codecs?! You can use an inexpensive portable recorder and get 24/96...

Priorities... Rolling Eyes
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No knocking on technical details on the engineering side of things....but as an end user I'd be VERY curious to know why there's such a huge emphasis on mp3 settings. If one's performance is based on this type of content, what exactly it is they're "performing"? I mean if you already have a full blown backing track, can't you just use an iPhone, iPad, or cheap DJ pocket interface to run the tracks?

If you're recording, I can see why you would want a higher fidelity, but even that can easily be done with a portable external recorder or DAW. It's way cheaper to use 3rd party solutions.

Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any complaints about MP3 playback on this thread. OP seems obsessed with recording them at the same time the arranger is playing.

But I do wonder why the Player can't play .WAV's (but the sampler can). It seems like such a waste of processing power to read the MP3 codec when storage sizes have got to the point that compression isn't really needed any more and raw .WAV data could be used, freeing up some CPU...

It surely couldn't be hard to add this to the Korg OS?
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
I must admit, I agree that the idea of complaining about the quality of MP3 recording being not great is a bit of a contradiction.

Now, you want to find something really important to complain about, how about polyphony? Genos has raised the bar to 256 voices. You start to layer a lot, use DNC with reserved voices for performance effects, you need polyphony.

Or, you could complain about the scant insert effect architecture, easily outperformed by even a lowly BK-9, let alone a Genos.

Or you could complain about sample streaming, or loading speeds, or anything that really affects the music you play.

But complaining that you have trouble recording poor quality MP3's, when there is no such thing as 'good quality' when it comes to lossy codecs?! You can use an inexpensive portable recorder and get 24/96...

+1
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:

^^^^THIS! Best post on this thread!
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:

Is not a mp3 codec issue at all because the problem starts when voice harmonizer is in use doing recordings to USB device. The single core ARM+DSP processor overloads easily affecting mp3 recording quality. This can be noticed no only on recorded USB material the touch screen response seems to freeze on the recording session. The root cause from my point of view is the single core DM3725 with their ARM® Cortex(TM)-A8 and C64x+(TM) DSP because is to slow to run all the processes properly for a professional arranger like the Pa3XLe or Pa4X. Maybe the DM3725 would be fine for the entry level Pa600 I don´t know if the same processor is in use because there is a previous version OMAP3525 running a bit slower as the DM3725.

Regarding polyphony expanding it to 256 or 512 is more related to marketing specs because is impossible to notice the notes mixing. With 64 or 128 should be enough despite that the notes cut off is another issue on many synths because is impossible to verify the true polyphony on a PCM keyboard.

Summarizing some features like recording to USB are very important for an arranger.

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar

Last edited by alfredokiwi on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be brutally honest, alfredokiwi - go and buy something else then!
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:
to be brutally honest, alfredokiwi - go and buy something else then!

At the moment nobody answered the main question on this topic about mp3 recording quality on Pa4X using a similar processor/mainboard as the Pa3XLe and Pa600 only I hear justifications and workarounds to mitigate the exposed issues.

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wacky

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a win-win situation. I kind of went through the same thing for the video output. The Pa3x has a better quality. Very noticeable! I contacted Korg multiple times and finally I was able to get someone to look into it. They agreed that the footage out of the Pa3x is cleaner, but the answer was that they couldn't do anything about it. I've been using external solutions ever since.

Same thing here! At some point, certain things are just beyond these forums. If you're not getting the answer you like, or you're only getting lame excuses, then contact Korg directly and discuss your case.

And then there's that sticky wish list thread at the top of course.

AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam it's commonly known at the very first circulation of Pa4X that letter font and icons are in the worst ever resolution
so the same happens in video resolution , like upscaling an only 240 pixels video to HD resolution ... wasting of time and size !
So , Pa4X has better resolution video but when source footages are in lower quality than Pa3X what else could we except ?
It's already visible in menu screens , and it's obvious that will not change in Pa4X !
But if you remark only Boot screen you can distinguish the indeed higher video resolution !

But Mp3 format of PaSeries is explained in specifications , it's always the same algorithm , nothing to do with CPU and hardware
and obviously the worst ever format to record our work nowadays and is used only by amateurs and for fun !

I don't give a dime about PaSeries Mp3 recording , always sucks in any Pa but when I had tested Pa3X & Pa4X in my spectrum
frequency analyser in my lab , the reproduction of Mp3 files written with sample frequencies 8/10/15 KHz were reproduced
identical in both models !
When I did the same with Wav files converted to KMP , Pa4X 24 bit DAC showed it's power against Pa3X ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to make this thread about video res, as I just used that as an example. Unless one is prepared to open the machine and re-design everything, there's so much you can offer for an answer through these forums. Once you hit that brick wall, that's it! There's no point in talking the same thing over and over....nothing will change!

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony wrote:
Sam it's commonly known at the very first circulation of Pa4X that letter font and icons are in the worst ever resolution

Wasn't aware of that - does this explain why there were so many complaints initially (and contradictions about it) and why I don't "have" a resolution problem on mine???
BUT yes, I do agree that the resolution could be better.

If Korg just changed it at some early stage seems unfair and it should have been introduced/announced as an "updated hardware" model e.g. PA4X-a.
I hate it when I hear that a manufacturer improves a product without any reference or indication to those with the "poorer" model and no offer or even option of an "upgrade".

Should be handled like the LED problem on the PA2X!!!!

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete , I didn't had the time to explore further why this happens , but it's obvious for anyone who is dealing with graphics
that letter fonts and icons are ungly and in low resolution.
This could had been upgraded since this is strictly a software reference but I guess that it has to do with this linux OS distribution
and compatibility with fonts/PNG formats , the difference can be seen in booting GUI graphics/update menu and probably this
can't be easily managed !
But I also have no problem with that , I do not work with Adobe graphic suites on Pa4X ... for a simple arranger's interface menu ,
it's fine , unless it was a Kronos ! Laughing

DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a number of years I have simply used a Tascam DR 05 digital recorder to record everything, either from the keyboard or from the mixer that is after the keyboard.
You can choose WAV, or various MP3 encodings. You can listen to it in the car on the way home, use headphones, copy easily to PC, or upload, etc. It is powered by batteries and/or USB and is quite inexpensive. It even has built in mics if for some reason you don't want to use the line-in function.
I have not even tried the recorder in the 4X.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: