Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The tuning issues need a fix - and communication from Korg!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least that's a confirmation that Korg is examining the issue.
But that's a private email, and Korg still does not bother to tell even this minimum to all the potential buyers of faulty units, on their official news page?

Frankly, this is not quite what I can regard as responsible behavior.
number6uk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf, my serial number is 1342.

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
NickZoll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there was Korg’s AMA on reddit tonight, somehow I’ve missed it. Reading comments and wondering why noone asked a question about the tuning issue...
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if nobody asked during the AMA, I can't believe that Korg, knowing very well of heavy and widespread tuning issues with the Prologue, feel no need to mention and adress the issues in any transparent way for their buyers.
Weird Korg behavior from my view!

My second try of ordering a Prologue will arrive today. If this Prologue 16 should have tuning issues again, I will report that here, and send the unit back within my 30 days money back guarantee.

But I still have some hope, that this unit is one of the (obviously rather rare than widespread) excepctions working as they should, and/or has a serial high enough to have passed better quality control meanwhile.
NickZoll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about origins of the issue and if any unit with no issue exists. I haven’t seen/heard anybody playing these freakin’ e-f-f# with no tuning problems so it is actually possible that the users that claim having no issue in reality just do not hear major tuning issues and did not address eff# to their units. Still curious to know your second experience

Last edited by NickZoll on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
number6uk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be it, I'm tone deaf... answers the question of why my music stinks! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
number6uk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this method linked below, but I did not hear a problem. I am not sure how long I need to test it for or how long I should leave the prologue on before it shows the problems, so if there is another test you want me to do then let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ZOaVbz-wI&t=21s

NickZoll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue does not depend on warming up or whatever, it pops up right away. You don't even need to hear it cause you see it on your oscilloscope.
Could you just do a quick video with described method please?

In my case the issue is not as pronounced as in the video and it does not exist at the octaves above zero therefore would be really nice to know if you as me have it to a lesser extend or do not have at all...

I am also thinking we should organize some kind of statistics concerning normal vs faulty units
I like my and do not want to return it also because I need it for my current project, there is still high chance to get another faulty unit and it's been more than 2 months since I've got it so it would not be fast. But as soon as korg guys figure out the issue I will send it for servicing or whatever option will be available.
number6uk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the method in the linked you tube video to test it, using the settings as per the video.
I hear slight phasing between the oscillators sometimes, but nothing 'out of tune'. I put this down to the characteristics of the analogue circuits and I might not have the two oscillators perfectly tuned together. I can happily play a tune with the settings in the YouTube video and all sounds well.

NickZoll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it is not completeley out of tune, the difference is just about 16 cents. the tuning issue is that you hear just a little bit more phasing on the e/f/f# (in my case no f# just e/f) comparing to other notes an it pops up just from time to time, lets say if you press the note 16 times maybe 4 of them will be slightly different. it is not due to (or not completely) the analog nature but rather tuning control. Still does not affect my performance and recording, rather just this imperfection is annoying cause I know it exists Very Happy . I believe all units to a certain degree have this but some people are more sensitive to the issue.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got a new Prologue 16 today, serial no. 2028.

It has the same tuning problems with e and f notes (only slightly with f#), which I had on my previous Prologue 8, but it has them less drastic.

So it seems Korg is delivering a wide variety of tuning quality with their prologues, mainly concerning certain notes, from miserably drastic, over noticeable enough to be too disturbing, up to rather clean (following the report above).

As it is, this degree of variety simply is not tolerable. Korg URGENTLY has to clarify this situation from my view. I will have to send back my second unit within weeks, against full refund for 30 days after buy, marked as faulty Korg unit for the reseller, if they don't.

@number6uk
it's definitely more than slight phasing issues here.
- I take an init sound (saw)
- I take the lower octaves (middle e/f and down on a Prologue 16)
- I repeat an e or f while hitting the same note at the same time one octave down
result: significant, disturbing tuning issues (especially after warming up, despite manual calibration) far beyond slight phasing or beating, even if not as much out of tune as my previous Prologue 8 has been.

Last edited by jimknopf on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 pm; edited 5 times in total
NickZoll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for sharing. this is my feel too, they all have the issue to a certain degree and it does not make sense to exchange a unit now, rather ether wait for service options or return it till the point the issue is fixed
pocklefo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the same issue on my Prologue 8 bought 3 weeks ago,it’s only e/f , f# seems to be ok.

The problem is there from power up and doesn’t disappear after 20 minutes uptime and a retune.

I don’t want to just send this synth back as it looks like most replacements still have this issue,what I would like is some communication from Korg on what appears to be a product issue and not just a QA escape limited to a small serial number range, mine is in the 1300’s.

Apart from this issue I think it’s a great synth with a classic sound and solid build quality.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Soundcloud link to hear what I'm talking of:

At the beginning you hear the mistuned Es and Fs.
After a break you hear an A, and that's how all keys should sound: slight analog drift, but no real mistuning.

https://soundcloud.com/jimknopf01/prologue-e-f-a
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

After contacting my local support for forwarding the tuning issue the second time, after my second effort of buying a well working Prologue did show the same issues, there still is ZERO public reaction from Korg available. I only know from private emails, confirming that Korg knows about the issue and is working on it. That's MUCH too late and too little to raise any trust. How can we keep faulty Prologues (bought at roughly 1700€ in my case) in hope for solutions, if Korg is leaving open ALL relevant questions for paying customers after the buy:
- roughly when a solution can be expected???
- how???
- extended money back guarantee or not???
- whatever???
ZERO clarification from Korg Japan, after months of delivering faulty Prologue units worldwide!

So I have no choice but returning the second Prologue within weeks, to be sure to be within the full money back guarantee time frame. Korg Japan leaves us completely alone, without ANY relevant answer! As I heard, meanhwile a nationwide US reseller has stopped delivering Prologues due to too many return units coming in, until Korg will finally clarify the situation and offer a solution. I'm sure that other resellers worldwide will follow.

I still can't believe that the same excellent company I bought my Kronos from, with first class customer support back then (Dan and Rick have been higlights for a company deserving trust and respect for years), is now behaving like a third class backyard company, trying to get away with being unavailable for concrete answers. I'm seriously irritated, and reconsidering all possible future Korg buys meanwhile. So far I thought, I would be among the first to buy a possible future Kronos follower, an Odyssey module etc.. But I'm no longer sure, if this is still the company deserving my trust, which I preferred for many years as faithful Korg customer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: