Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omnisphere 2.5 free update - quite a few features added
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Omnisphere 2.5 free update - quite a few features added Reply with quote

https://www.spectrasonics.net/news/news-content.php?id=112

Sadly no Kronos mentioned in synth integration (guess that might be too huge a task).

Omnisphere v2.5 features:
• Hardware Synth Integration!
• New Hardware Library adds over 1,000 new patches for all users:
- Over 14,000 Sounds total now included
• Vastly Expanded Synthesis:
- Four Layers per patch
- Doubled Mod Matrix
- Over 100 New Wavetables
- New State Variable Filters
- 8 LFOs, 12 Envelopes
• New Hi-res, Resizable Interface
• New Granular Layout
• Improved Live Mode Page
• New Shared Signal Path routing
• New System Tuning/Scale functions
• Windows Multitouch support
• FREE for all Omnisphere 2 users!

Hardware Synths supported include:
• Sequential Prophet X
• Sequential Prophet 6
• Dave Smith Prophet 12
• Dave Smith OB-6
• Dave Smith REV2
• Moog Sub 37
• Moog Subsequent 37
• Moog Voyager
• Moog Sub Phatty
• Moog Little Phatty
• Moog Slim Phatty
• Korg Minilogue
• Korg Monologue
• Korg Prologue
• Roland System-1
• Roland System-1m
• Roland System-8
• Roland SE-02
• Roland SH-01A
• Roland JP-08
• Roland JU-06
• Roland JX-03
• Roland VP-03
• Novation Peak
• Novation Bass Station II
• Novation Circuit Mono Station
• Access Virus A
• Access Virus B
• Clavia Nord Lead 1
• Clavia Nord Lead 2
• Studiologic Sledge
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't watched the presentation, you owe it to yourself to do so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BypwhO0IDy0

It's friggin incredible! The "Hardware Integration" is _FAR_ beyond Hardware integration.

It's a quantum leap in my view - and it's what Korg should be doing aross their hardware synths, workstations and virtual synths / plugins - total integration of hardware and software.

Hats off to Spectrasonics - I genuinely think this is a big a development as the emergence of the Workstation. If others follow suit, then we're finally looking at heading toward true technological integration that not only works, but enables unprecedented capabilities.

I own the JD-XA, Subsequent 37, NL2 and JU06 and JP08 - and cannot wait to start using them with Omnisphere 2.5. And - I got to tel you, the section of this presentation featuring the OB6 is mind blowing - I want to go buy even more hardware having seen and heard this.

Jaw-dropping. And it's free for existing users!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, for once we agree completely.
I immediately bought Omnisphere (which I hadn't been using so far) after Eric Persing's great performance. I simply love what this guy has been doing for musical sound shaping over the years!

And now imagine me having fun with my four octave Prophet 6 and that! Smile
Couldn't resist Wink
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omnisphere is amazing and this update makes it even better.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Still have not hooked my Sub37 Reply with quote

so many other features to play with.

The improved granular one is really tasty.

Awesome new patches as well.

And Sound sources make for interesting experiments.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They decided not to support the pre-anounced behringer instruments

Uli must have threatened them wit his lawyers too...

Its a fun thing, there are now people buying hardware, just to use it with omnisphere..
Devnor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my Prologue gas is piqued as a hardware controller for Omni. I'm excited about 4 layers per patch too. Nice update!
nowtime

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the part where he shows the unique integration with the Prophet X and the granular synthesis in Omni 2.5. Very cool.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
I loved the part where he shows the unique integration with the Prophet X and the granular synthesis in Omni 2.5. Very cool.

Except for the price, this seems like the best controller...
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise I'm running the risk of changing the direction of this thread, but I feel it's worth re-emphasising a point I made above:

Spectrasoncs have have shown here a direction Korg should have taken years ago - total integration of hardware and software.

When you look at their various releases of the MS20 alone in both hardware and software:

Original MS20
MS20 MIDI Controller
MS20 Mini
Ms20 on DS2
MS20EX on OASYS and Kronos
MS20 on Legacy Collection
iMS20

- and that none of these talk to each other - it's nothing short of an abomination - a HUGE missed opportunity.

An abomination because Korg _specifically_ made them all incompatible with one another so as to maximise sales; where as Spectrasonics now sees opportunity in music creativity - and business - by connecting things!
Devastatingly short sighted by Korg, and again - a HUGE missed opportunity.

Korg have so much hardware and software that could talk to each other; and so many synth engines in OASYS / Kronos / MOSS / Karma ..... that could be implemented across all devices and implemented as AU/VST plugins too - all capable of forming a vast ecosystem - it seems totally crazy to me that they have not sought to exploit that to generate an entirely new generation of musicians keen to use Korg synths - controllable in DAW environment and on Korg hardware surfaces.

Instead - they hired that numpty (can't remember his name already) to make "minikeys everything, Volca this and Volca that - tripe that's now selling as junk on ebay.

They've lost a huge opportunity here, in my opinion, and instead have left it to Speactasonics to pick up on using Korg synth hardware in this amazing new development!

The Workstation WAS the idea of total integration - and they invented it! But what Spectrsonics have revealed here is that - Korg totally took their eye off the ball since OASYS: they stopped all development with this ethos in mind and instead have been chasing the ESM and DJ market for a decade. Meanwhile; what Korg _should_ have been doing has now been done by Spectrasonics.

It's a story like AKAI with the S1000 and MPC technology - they could not change with the times and the likes of ABLETON took up where they couldn't. I genuinely see this as a HUGE step for Spectrasonics.

I'd go as far as to say that it's quite plausible that the future of the synthesizer is now in their hands, not Korg's or the other traditional synth makers unless like Moog they continue to innovate in hardware itself (the Prologue is not hardware innovation).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
I realise I'm running the risk of changing the direction of this thread, but I feel it's worth re-emphasising a point I made above:

Spectrasoncs have have shown here a direction Korg should have taken years ago - total integration of hardware and software.

I'd go as far as to say that it's quite plausible that the future of the synthesizer is now in their hands, not Korg's or the other traditional synth makers unless like Moog they continue to innovate in hardware itself (the Prologue is not hardware innovation).

I think Korg had a vision but could not fully commit to it. These electronic cos often get caught up in 'selling boxes' . and if the new box does not sell enough, they make a new box next year.

Kevin, as we both know. Software has traditionally sold hardware. Or driven hardware sales.

This is part of the Spectrasoncs story. They have a smart owner as a driving force. He is committed to a direction and drives to it, year after a year.

And look at how the co started 10 years ago and now they are in the drivers seat.

This is a company that is fully committed and didn't fall into the ' gotta move boxes' game.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg -

Agree with all your points - but - Korg have been this too - and - it's not too late!

I could cut my rant down to one sentence - Spectrasonic have shown a new way here - and Korg have huge hardware and resources at their disposal right now, untapped in these ways. Korg - get to it !! (OK that's two sentences Smile ).
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, Korg seems not even able to deal with the general tuning problems of their analog flagship line (Prologue) in any proper way. They have zero explanation or answer for this massive problem since many weeks: not exactly a proof of technical competence and user friendly behavior IMO!

Their iOS apps are still stuck in the lowest and most crappy iOS music app format possible, and that for too long as well: inter-app-audio, without proper midi integration, and no up to date AU3 format available for any of their apps, while more and more other music making apps leave them behind, offering that actual and much better and more user friendly AU3 format.

Still some of Korg's software synth versions, like the different Polysix formats, aren't capable of talking to each other, and don't allow users to share presets across platforms, like Synthmaster One and other cross plattform apps (including some by Korg) do.

With the present Korg Japan management, despite lots of interesting projects, it's rather the question. if not just apps fail talking with each other, but different management parts have the same problem, and besides missing internal coordination, the management altogether doesn't seem to find a way towards appropriate user communication about the mentioned issues.

I have continued to like Korg more than other music companies for quite a while, for many reasons, like being inventive, well coordinated and user related in comparably open communication. This all has not developed too well recently from my view, and I'm beginning to doubt, if the present Korg Japan management still is on track, concerning product quality and user relations. I see a lot of split hyper-activity in single projects, without a proper view for the whole, without proper quality control, and without enough user support and user communication meanwhile.

And Korg managers showing up in any helpful way here in the user forums, that has become non existent, or close to non-existent as well.

It all looked better to me, before some weird Korg Japan centralisation seems to have taken place, by people who obviosuly overestimate themselves, and their worldwide management and communication skills. I hope they don't make the same kind of mess of Korg, which Roland and Yamaha have already made of themselves in recent years.

Kevin is right: it's not yet too late. But the clock has begun ticking, concerning overall quality and longterm user relations.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
At.

With the present Korg Japan management, despite lots of interesting projects, it's rather the question. if not just apps fail talking with each other, but different management parts have the same problem, and besides missing internal coordination, the management altogether doesn't seem to find a way towards appropriate user communication about the mentioned issues.

I have continued to like Korg more than other music companies for quite a while, for many reasons, like being inventive, well coordinated and user related in comparably open communication. This all has not developed too well recently from my view, and I'm beginning to doubt, if the present Korg Japan management still is on track, concerning product quality and user relations. I see a lot of split hyper-activity in single projects, without a proper view for the whole, without proper quality control, and without enough user support and user communication meanwhile.

And Korg managers showing up in any helpful way here in the user forums have become non existent or close to non-existent meanwhile.

It all looked better, before some weird Korg Japan centralisation seems to have taken place, by people who obviosuly overestimate themselves, and their worldwide management and communication skills. I hope they don't make the same kind of mess of Korg, which Roland and Yamaha have already made in recent years.

Kevin is right: it's not yet too late. But the clock has begun ticking, concerning longterm user relations.

I am a Korg follower.

In that, I have smelled and stared at old tea leaves in an effort to comprehend this co's overall business strategy. The root of this and its communication(or lack of it) starts at the very top of a company.

I have studied their web page, and lets just focus on the sweet spot-
https://www.korg.com/jp/products/
keyboards and synthesizers.

I think Korg , over the past 7 years, has worked to be ' all things to all (keyboard/synth) people '. ATTAP

ATTAP looks good on paper. It looks neat and tidy.

IOW, they have concentrated on 6 sub markets, possibly 6 separate niches.

The core problem is that a company will risk spreading itself too thin in trying to market and cover support, year after year by doing ATTAP. Something is going to give. While Korg has some cool products, other products will flame out. Users or customers get confused with the product life cycle. Playing in tech related products is brutal and Darwinian. Quality control seems to be lacking or not exactly timely.

I think most musicians have been very loyal and patient. That is somewhat emotion driven. But there are some musicians that demand more from their favorite keyboard company. And there are other choices.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine a workstation that natively runs omnisphere/keyscape, touch screen for editing along with a load of endless encoders and buttons each with a little screen and a paging system like used on the Nord G2, just add a nice sequencer.

I wonder how that would effect other companies workstation sales?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: