Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I get this synth?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Should I get this synth? Reply with quote

Just asking, anyone has any regrets? Or would not buy it if they had to do it again?

Thanks
Den
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The synth is really nice, but the tuning issues are nasty and spoil the party.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read that thread. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll hold on that Prologue 16 then, until we get an official statement from Korg.

It's a pricey unit.
BStep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Korg Prologue Reply with quote

I have the Prologue and it is a Monster!
Like any analog synth there is a warmup period....usually 15 minutes
Just press the shift and 8 button and it tunes automatically.
It would be a shame not to have this rich anologue goodness
The sound shaping has been greatly organized to get swirly whirly
motion sounds without routing a tone of filters and oscillators
My Prophet is supposedly easy but it gets hairy when you start
routing through the 3 filter groups
Both instruments sound fantastic and complement each other well.
We highly recommend the Prologue just understand that all
VCO driven boards will have this warm up period....
Korg Prologue
Deepmind 12
Korg Kronos
Akai MPC Live
Electron Digitone and Digitak
Behringer Model D and Neutron
Dreadbox
Waldorf Steichfett
Maschine Mk3
20 + guitars
10 trumpets
Partridge in a pear tree
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything about the Prologue sound. The Prophet 6 still has the by far best programming surface of all analog synths I know though, and I see nothing hairy at all about programming its filter. It also has the better keybed and aftertouch. But yes, their sounds DO complement each other very well. The Prologue is a great sounding synth.

But:
The widespread Prologue tuning flaw has NOTHING to do with analog warming up, and is NOT cured by calibration. All units affected (and that are not so few) are practically unuseable.
Andi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
The synth is really nice, but the tuning issues are nasty and spoil the party.

Yep. That's why I buy no new products anymore. You have to wait at least two years until all the starting problems are fixed. Production cycles are to fast now and many products also get abandoned after just three years (looking at you Roland!)
https://youtu.be/V8ZOaVbz-wI
Fes357

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I got mine a week ago. Have the tunning issue on lower E and F. Still no freeze, nor other issues. Complaints are piling up quickly as KORG cannot fix it. It would be a shame as it sounds WONDERFUL! Hope they do something, Ironically came with a proud Made In Japan sticker!!!!
KronosX73, JD800, DX7, ARP2600, Prologue 16 Nanopad2, Jupiter X, Cubase 8.5, Roland TR08, Model D, Ableton 11, Arturia V Collection 9, Ominsphere 2.8, B System 100, B ARP 2500,SV-2, Roland TR-8s, Drumlogue
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Sorry for all those who love their Prologue but all I've heard of Prologue keep me away from buying it.
Yet, I am a Korg fan for more than 40 years and began with Korg Mini 700s, Ms-20, Delta, T1 and so on.
As soon as I knew that Korg would produce a nex polyphonic synth, I was quite certain I will buy it.
Unfortunately, I've heard it ! All I've heard seems very flat and tasteless for a full analog synth.
Some lacks, as absence of 24db filter, aftertouch and so on....even the Minilogue offers a choice between 12db and 24db.
And now, this inexcusable pitch issue....

For all those who want an 8 voices and then extend to 16 voices : the can't !! And 8 voices is only a 4 octaves keyb.

I suggest you to compare all caracteristics and sounds between the Prologue 8 and Prophet Rev 2 8 (same price range).
NickZoll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man are you actually kidding? Claiming prologue is a flat synth and offering as an alternative real flat one? You are trying to compare minilogue and prologue? Really? Well, whatever experience with analog synths you have your advice makes no sense to me. No thanks, I'll stay with my tuning issue but otherwise nice sounding prologue and good luck with no flat sounding rev2 Laughing
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZoll wrote:
Man are you actually kidding? Claiming prologue is a flat synth and offering as an alternative real flat one? You are trying to compare minilogue and prologue? Really? Well, whatever experience with analog synths you have your advice makes no sense to me. No thanks, I'll stay with my tuning issue but otherwise nice sounding prologue and good luck with no flat sounding rev2 Laughing

Ok, I'm very happy for you if you enjoy your Prologue and I didn't want to offend you !

NickZoll wrote:
You are trying to compare minilogue and prologue?

No, I'm not trying, I do compare them ! Considering their respective prices, what I say is that the less would have been to get the choice betwee 12db and 24db on the Prologue.
No, the real comparaison I do is between the Prophet Rev 2 8 and the Prologue 8. And for the same price, the Prophet is a far better choice.

But the title of this thread is "Should I get this synth ?", isn't it ? So this person is looking for some opinions. That what I did, and my opinion is rather negative about it, for all the reasons I gave.
Synthee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

No, the real comparaison I do is between the Prophet Rev 2 8 and the Prologue 8. And for the same price, the Prophet is a far better choice.

I dont agree with you.
The Rev2 has a cheap construction with DCO chips, wheres the prologue got real VCO´s.

And 12 dB filter doesent mean "bad", some of the most expensive and popular vintage synths has only 12 dB filter, like Yamaha CS80.
Its how you design the filter that are important, and the OTA-filter on prologue is really good. I have never felt the need of a 24 dB filter when I use it.
And I got a few other vintage synths that have 24 dB filter to compare with.

I agree that aftertouch would have been nice, and I dont understand why they didn't include that, but I use an expression pedal instead.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthee wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

I dont agree with you.
The Rev2 has a cheap construction with DCO chips, wheres the prologue got real VCO´s.

And 12 dB filter doesent mean "bad", some of the most expensive and popular vintage synths has only 12 dB filter, like Yamaha CS80.
Its how you design the filter that are important, and the OTA-filter on prologue is really good. I have never felt the need of a 24 dB filter when I use it.
And I got a few other vintage synths that have 24 dB filter to compare with.

I agree that aftertouch would have been nice, and I dont understand why they didn't include that, but I use an expression pedal instead.

Yes, it's OK !!
But, I don't agree with you, either !
DCO doesn't mean Bad or "cheap" and VCO doesn't mean good. Just speak of it to all who are can't get a good tune with their Prologue !
Just read the thread on this subject and Korg is unable to give them a solution to that problem.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou, most or nearly all of those, who want to use their Prologues, don't want a Prophet 08 as replacement! What they want, is the Japanese Korg managers waking up from their complacent sleepy silence and their impertinent behavior in this matter, to finally live up to their duty(!) to comunicate with their paying customers, and fix this problem once for all - or offer guaranteed refunds without time limit, if the problem can't be cured. Simple as that.

You can't seriously give the advice to buy a Prophet 08 instead, or call it "better", if those who like the Prologue prefer it's sound. I have bought a Prophet 6 a while ago, because I prefer it's sound over any of the Prophet 08 revisions and don't want to use any of them. I also like the Prologue's sound more than that of the Prophet 08s. It's a matter of taste and personal choice, so
a) your claim of a "better" Prophet 08 isn't generally valid for me and others, as long as there is hope for a Prologue fix
b) your proposal doesn't help those who have made a conscious choice for the Prologue sound: a Prophet 08 is no replacement which I want, and I would rather wait for something else, if I can't use the Prologue in the long run.

So the main goal is to knock on the doors of sleepy Korg managers, who are ignoring and forgetting their Prologue customers with the tuning issues, hiding in months long official silence, instead of showing some of the responsibility which customers can expect from a renownded company like Korg.
NickZoll

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely reasonable reply. I do not think rev2 is any better, i want my prologue to get fixed! I want to record saw wave based pads but can’t,have to replace them with square.
I do not say rev2 is a bad synth, but i do not like the overall sound and particularly filter
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Liviou, most or nearly all of those, who want to use their Prologues, don't want a Prophet 08 as replacement! What they want, is the Japanese Korg managers waking up from their complacent sleepy silence and their impertinent behavior in this matter, to finally live up to their duty(!) to comunicate with their paying customers, and fix this problem once for all - or offer guaranteed refunds without time limit, if the problem can't be cured. Simple as that.

You can't seriously give the advice to buy a Prophet 08 instead, or call it "better", if those who like the Prologue prefer it's sound. I have bought a Prophet 6 a while ago, because I prefer it's sound over any of the Prophet 08 revisions and don't want to use any of them. I also like the Prologue's sound more than that of the Prophet 08s. It's a matter of taste and personal choice, so
a) your claim of a "better" Prophet 08 isn't generally valid for me and others, as long as there is hope for a Prologue fix
b) your proposal doesn't help those who have made a conscious choice for the Prologue sound: a Prophet 08 is no replacement which I want, and I would rather wait for something else, if I can't use the Prologue in the long run.

So the main goal is to knock on the doors of sleepy Korg managers, who are ignoring and forgetting their Prologue customers with the tuning issues, hiding in months long official silence, instead of showing some of the responsibility which customers can expect from a renownded company like Korg.

I absolutely agree with you : it's only a question of personnal choice. And that's all I said from the begining !
Our friend asked this question in his thread "should I buy it or not ?" So I give my opinion, that's all !! That's why I gave my personnal opinion. I don't like the sound it gives, don't like the way in wich Korg is treating his Prologue clients, don't like the limitations of this keyboard, don't like this tuning issue many owners encounter, etc...

Again, I'm very happy for all of you who enjoy their Prologue. You made the good choice for you, and it's fine, really.

(Just one point : I didn't speak of Prophet 08 but of Prophet Rev 2).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: