Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos vs omnisphere. i don't get it
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can kronos create the same/similar sounds as omnisphere
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 11 ]
Close but not as good
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

biggrime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Kronos vs omnisphere. i don't get it Reply with quote

There's a lot of hype on this plug in. I understand it does have many options. Can it create sounds not possible in the kronos. Just because a synth have more presets or LFOs etc.. Does not me its not possible to use less with similar results. Correct if im wrong. Can omnisphere out perform kronos?

Proud korg kronos 2 owner
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like comparing apples and oranges, in many ways.

The sounds Omnisphere can make could largely also be made by the Kronos. Most of Omnisphere's complex sounds begin with already complex soundsources, acted upon by a variety of effects so, if Kronos had those same complex soundsources, it wouldn't take a huge stretch of imagination to assemble the necessary effects chains, LFOs and DMOD sources and come up with something largely similar, or would it?

Last edited by voip on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omnisphere doesn't have Karma, but it offers a much more straightforward graphical approach to effects and modulations so, arguably, better able to mangle/manipulate sounds, especially when coupled with the recently introduced hardware integration in Omnisphere 2.5.

Someone recently made a YouTube video comparing Kronos' synthesis capabilities with another well respected dedicated synth. I will post the link if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Bear in mind, Kronos' sampling capability means any sound that Omnisphere can make, can also be made to come out of the Kronos.

Last edited by voip on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
biggrime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Omnisphere doesn't have Karma, but it offers a much more straightforward graphical approach to effects and modulations so, arguably, better able to mangle/manipulate sounds, especially when coupled with the recent hardware integration in Omnisphere.

Someone recently made a YouTube video comparing Kronos' synthesis capabilities with another well respected dedicated synth. I will post the link if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Love to see. Thanks

Proud korg kronos 2 owner
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's been made by Mike Conway, a regular contributor to this forum, that gives some idea of the versatility of Kronos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4F8rQ0CAtU

And another, more relevant to the original question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1gc2GuZTVw
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is Omnisphere and there is Kronos.

Both different things that just so happen to strive to tap into the best of the synth world. So they are going to overlap with commonalities in that sense.

Just per patch, Omnisphere goes places Kronos does not. Granular synthesis for instance. Is fairly common but not available in Kronos.
Omnisphere has taken sample based synths to a whole new level that Kronos can not keep up with in current form.
Kronos 9 synth engines are great and impressive among synths of any calibre, but the combined stack of what each kronos synth engine can do, seems to be exceeded by what Omnisphere can do.

Omnisphere is now very well emulating far more synth engines than Kronos does and offers a more dynamic controller setup scheme. Also the synth engines emulated by omnisphere are being topped by omnisphere with added features of parameters or control options.

Omnisphere has its version of Combi mode, but only 8 layers. But..... Each layer holds a patch that can be 4 layers deep itself.
Truth is that when you get to powerful sounds like what Omnisphere pushes, kronos would hardly hold up to 8 layers deep before polyphony issues stop the stack depth.
I virtually have only 8 functional timbres in Kronos even though 16 are available. The extra 8 are only good to have for advanced midi work and using Karma or making 16 velocity layer combis which are not really any more functional than 8 independent velocity layers. Although, I would not give up my full 16 timbres just because the polyphony cannot keep up with them.

Omnisphere does at least 16 velocity layers if you want it to.
Even though it only has an 8 layer combi section compared to kronos 16 layer.

Kronos PCU cannot stand up to the Omnisphere recommended hardware and system requirements. So you are not limited like Kronos is. You can decide to run Omnisphere on a quad core i7 or i9 with 32gb RAM. Or you can decide to run it on lesser hardware that will still at minimum be more powerful than Kronos internal hardware. Flexibility of hardware behind Omnisphere.

Price is a factor. Do you get a lot more for your money in Kronos at the cost of Kronos?
Or do you get a lot more for your money if you get a Laptop for half the cost of kronos and then get Omnisphere, a DAW for advanced sequencing and maybe software drum machine for patterns like Kronos drum track and Karma has...?? Oh.... And you still end up having to buy a good keybed/controller to interface with and control Omnisphere.
I would still miss Karma even if i spent the same on an Omnisphere centerd rig as i did on my Kronos.

I have Kronos right now and i am feeling left behind without Omnisphere.
If i had Omnisphere only, i would be feeling left behind without Kronos.

Omnisphere is built to work with a keyboard workstation and Kronos is built to work with Software synths like Omnisphere.

They were not really built to compete or compare. They are literally two ends of what are meant to work together to make each other show their best potential.

Waste of time for me to compare. I have Kronos and am simply waiting for my ship to come in with everything i need to make Omnisphere a part of my Kronos.
Using Kronos to play Omnisphere and have them exchange what they have to offer each other.
And not stopping there. Mainstage will be included. And Logic Pro for sequencer alternative to Kronos sequencer.
Just a matter of time for me.

You are always going to need a key bed to play Omnisphere from.
What better option than a Kronos as the star ship controls for Omnisphere. ?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
There is Omnisphere and there is Kronos.

You are always going to need a key bed to play Omnisphere from.

What better option than a Kronos as the star ship controls for Omnisphere. ?

Midi , yes,

, Kronos (and Roland FA) W/s' have little to nothing in the way of specifically laid out and labeled synth function controls, so there's basically nothing there to integrate with Omnis 2.5.

(FA basically only gives us 6 knobs], the Korg 9 sliders

They don't give you an analog-type control experience in the first place, and we are not going to get one by adding Omnisphere 2.5
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos and Omnisphere go very well together.

Kronos has the Grain Shifter effect, which is effectively granular synthesis, though its implementation may give results that differ from Omnisphere's Granular effect.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs omnisphere. i don't get it Reply with quote

biggrime wrote:
There's a lot of hype on this plug in. I understand it does have many options. Can it create sounds not possible in the kronos. Just because a synth have more presets or LFOs etc.. Does not me its not possible to use less with similar results. Correct if im wrong. Can omnisphere out perform kronos?

In my opinion Omnisphere can create sounds that aren't possible in the kronos. It's insane what you can do in omnisphere when you dive in to the possibilities of sound design.

The current hype is probably because it just has released version 2.5 but keep in mind that this synth is already more then 10 years old (atmosphere, omnisphere 1, omnisphere 2 and omnisphere 2.5) and they still improving lots of things and it keeps getting better and better and it is delivered with 14.000 presets which shows all areas of what you can do with the synth.

I use omnisphere all the time in my own projects, of course i created lots of sounds for it for personal use.

For me my top 5 synths (soft and hardware) are:
1: Omnisphere 2.5
2: Vengeance Avenger
3: Korg Kronos
4: Virus TI
5: Nord Lead 4

I think if you are in to EDM or electronical music then it's almost impossible to beat the functionality of the current softsynths. If you are playing live in a band then i would definitely recommend a korg kronos because it covers most of the areas needed when playing songs in a band.
NETWORK1
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can kronos create the same/similar sounds as omnisphere ?

As far as im concerned, most high end synth-workstations could.

BUT youll need to spend the same amount of time creating the presets, as the full time programmers do.

Technically there arnt any NEW sounds created anymore, there just
"Mutations" of combinations.

A Trumpet is a Trumpet , a Piano is a Piano.
you cant really Re-Invent the Wheel.

----------------------------
1.VIDEO POP : https://vimeo.com/album/5005360
2.VIDEO POP : https://vimeo.com/album/4798784

matro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos vs omnisphere. i don't get it Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
I think if you are in to EDM or electronical music then it's almost impossible to beat the functionality of the current softsynths. If you are playing live in a band then i would definitely recommend a korg kronos because it covers most of the areas needed when playing songs in a band.

I think you are to the point here. WHAT (music) and HOW (& where) you play corresponds to what works best for you.
Another dimension is how well you know your gear. If you really know something by heart, that becomes the go-to gear. Unless you are a preset-person I suppose. Then you just want 1000s and 1000s of presets.
Both Omnisphere and Kronos score high in terms of number of sounds available and sonic ability.
matro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NETWORK1 wrote:
Can kronos create the same/similar sounds as omnisphere ?

As far as im concerned, most high end synth-workstations could.

BUT youll need to spend the same amount of time creating the presets, as the full time programmers do.

Technically there arnt any NEW sounds created anymore, there just
"Mutations" of combinations.

A Trumpet is a Trumpet , a Piano is a Piano.
you cant really Re-Invent the Wheel.

I admit, although you're right, I do get inspired by good programing. Some sound just talks to you, and then you tweak them or layer them or whatever to make them "yours".
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omnisphere 2.5 is just overwhelming wonderful!

This synth is designed so smart, and it integrates both my other Spectrasonics libraries and some of my hardware synths so well! Lots of great patches, and endless possibilities!

But as Qui put it: a Kronos still is overwhelming good as well, and the best live keyboard on the market from my view up to now.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to answer "No".

Not because the Kronos doesn't offer the same sort of synthesis as Omnisphere does because it does, but rather because with Omnisphere you are paying for years of sound source design by Spectrasonics. There is a serious range of excellent material ready for messing around with when you start making your own presets.

If that material was on the Kronos then it would be a close thing.
leonh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omnisphere is DAW Kronos is a workstation if you wish a mobile DAW with everything set up so much easier to take it out best solution is to have both if you can and products like Omnisphere are reason why we won't see another workstation so hang on your Kronos and add above DAW as upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: