Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crashing and burning hard with my Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Crashing and burning hard with my Kronos Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
I brought a Kronos7 back in December as an upgrade from my partner of 19 years my Triton. It hurts to say it but I'm starting to feel the buyers remorse. In the months that I've had it I just can't sit down and get into it without pulling my hair or screaming in my head. I usually end up turning it on and playing the piano and saying "wow this piano sounds good" and then I turn it off. It's like you need to be a computer engineer to navigate through this thing. I click a menu then another menu pops up with more menu options and screens with more options on them and I'm just baffled and confused. I've watched some vids and tried to read the manual and it left me more confused than when I first started.

I brought other synths in the time I purchased the Kronos. A Prophet and an MS-20. All of these felt so fluent to play like an instrument should be and I've been making patch after patch on all of them but my Kronos has just been collecting dust. I actually ended up buying the MS-20mini because the Kronos version made me so red trying to figure it.

This weekend I've been trying to make a song and use the sequencer. It ended with me turning it off and putting the Keyboard cover back on it. I can't for the life of me figure out how Korg could make a keyboard that's so far from the playing experience of a musician. It doesn't inspire me it discourages me.

I don't want to give up on it but dang I brought this to make music with and that's been the last thing I've done with it. When I got my Triton I couldn't turn it off. I spent days and nights playing and making music with it with a giant grin on my face but the Kronos I honestly can't wait to hit the power button on the back.

Perhaps you need something like korg kross or arranger keyboard
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what aspect are you finding challenging?

It's actually very similar to the Triton in many ways - even the sequencer is very similar between the two. In fact, the sequencer in the Kronos has been criticized for not being less like the Triton's! Even many of the pages in the different modes are the same.

They both have a similar filing structure, bank structure and modes. They both have the concept of a page menu. They both have a numeric keypad and bank select keys. They both have sequencer transport controls. The HD1 engine isn't even dissimilar to the Triton's HI synthesis, just with more stuff (like wave sequencing and vector control).

I just flicked through the Triton Parameter guide as I haven't used the Triton in several years, and I swear half the options and pages are identical to the Kronos. So where are you having the biggest challenges?

Maybe a good place to start is to ignore the Exi banks, KARMA and Wave Sequencing and just stick with becoming familiar with the HD1 engine?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I as well found the Kronos a bit daunting to program and get around. Even just getting it up and running was a "holy #$%^ why did I buy this thing!" moment.

I had to slow down and say "Ok, what's my goal and why did I buy it?"
Once I meditated on that, I was happy.
A Kronos for Dummies would be completely awesome, but, this forum works pretty good for that as well. I've found a lot of what I needed to know right here. And I'm just about to go look through it for something else.

So I hope you find a place in your soul for it. Instead of under the cover. It really is a fine piece of everything you'd want in a synth/workstation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: