Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys dead - Replacement??? Kronos???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Oasys dead - Replacement??? Kronos??? Reply with quote

Hi

My Oasys 88 is dead! Well almost. It's not reliable anymore. Doesn't boot every time, so I don't trust it, and don't dare to take it to gigs. Just too risky.
Had some problems with it during its lifetime. RAM failures, Midi board replaced, this "no connection to screen" failure, and some other strange things.
My service center says there's nothing more they can do, and even if they could, there would be no warranty that it won't happen again.

Will the Kronos be a good replacement? I'm scared to death if this will give me the same problems (after a couple of years) that the Oasys did!
I'm travelling and gigging with these keyboards, so I really need them to be stable at all times. Also after 5-10 years on the road!

Did they improve the built quality of the Kronos (2?).

What kind of problems are you experiencing? Please be honest!

I've read a lot of problems with the first Kronos editions. Are all issues solved in the Kronos 2 (or whatever the newest edition is called)?

I got a bunch of other questions, but let's start here. This is the most important to me.

Thanx

Best regards
Ricky
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kronos2 has froze maybe five times over the two years I've had it, if that. A friends KronosX has a faulty vector joystick that pulls to the left. Those are all the instances where I've personally known a Kronos to fault in some way. The list is small.

Your other options might be a Montage or an older secondhand Oasys. Given that you already know the OS, and the Kronos is a modern board, it's probably your best bet.
NETWORK1
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There
If i were you , id wait for the NEW Kronos Replacement.

----------------------------
1.VIDEO POP : https://vimeo.com/album/5005360
2.VIDEO POP : https://vimeo.com/album/4798784

Ricky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

NETWORK1:
I Don't have time to wait. Got gigs in November, and don't have any decent keys to play on!
I borrowed a Montage 6 from a friend, and I'm trying it right now.
It sounds awfull! Very dull and boring. Nothing inspiring. I keep looking for the great sounds. They're not there!

I need mostly realitic sounds. Pianos (very important), organs, strings, brass, saxes and so on.
It seems like there's only two options at the moment. Kronos and Montage. Kronos is unstable and Montage sounds bad, and got bad midi functions (for connecting another keyboard, doing splits, layers and so on).

Do you know any other options?
I listened to Kurzweil demos on their website. I didn't like them!

CharlesFerraro:
5 times in two years seems to be a lot of freezes to me.
That could be 5 jobs spoiled (worst case), and I will always be nervous about when it will happen again every time I play!
I know a reboot will solve this, but it boots quite slow, and the current song is spolied!

Please keep it coming. I really don't know what to do!

Ricky
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky wrote:
Thank you.

NETWORK1:
I Don't have time to wait. Got gigs in November, and don't have any decent keys to play on!
I borrowed a Montage 6 from a friend, and I'm trying it right now.
It sounds awfull! Very dull and boring. Nothing inspiring. I keep looking for the great sounds. They're not there!

I need mostly realitic sounds. Pianos (very important), organs, strings, brass, saxes and so on.
It seems like there's only two options at the moment. Kronos and Montage. Kronos is unstable and Montage sounds bad, and got bad midi functions (for connecting another keyboard, doing splits, layers and so on).

Do you know any other options?
I listened to Kurzweil demos on their website. I didn't like them!

CharlesFerraro:
That could be 5 jobs spoiled (worst case), and I will always be nervous about when it will happen again every time I play!
I know a reboot will solve this, but it boots quite slow, and the current song is spolied!

Please keep it coming. I really don't know what to do!

Ricky

don't expect perfection.

I think Korg fixed some problems on original K, when they did the K2.
There is nothing substantially wrong with the K2 other than being
mostly the same board for 7 yrs. Obviously Kronos has a strong
following.

spending on your music commitments, that should drive what board to get.

Plus time for programming, etc.

Suggest you make a list and prioritize.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos 2 is it. It matches OASYS as close as it gets and goes farther from there.
It will be like getting right back into an OASYS but better, aside from the risk of instability. Kronos 2, brand new with full warranty.

I have no clue where to go to escape instability risks, and still have the same utility plus sound quality.
I don’t gig other than very few times going out just to socialize with other musicians, but i do run my kronos for an hour or more every day when i am around it 6 months out of the year.
Never had it freeze other than few times when i was newly incorporating both USB midi device(iPad) and 5 pin midi device -all operating at once.
I stopped doing the order of procedure i was doing and took different order of steps to set it all up together, and everything has been stable since.
Ran into some bugs in some areas and most have work-arounds and the rest are not in areas that i have to use in Kronos.

Even DAW plug-ins with superb sounds, are based on computers with the same old stories of crashing when least expected.

Same issue with my iPad and even the most reliable modern cars. All of them have some kind of issue that comes with the territory of so many added features and capabilities packed into the same old foot print of a rig.
Apple products take it even farther by packing more features into ever shrinking foot prints.

I think Kronos is less of a foot print than Oasys and kronos packs more inside.
A lot of very busy gigging musicians using Kronos. I see it on stage in TV shows.
I hear 2 new kronos cost the same as what one new Oasys used to cost when it was new. And two kronos is the usual solution for security against instability risks.

Also taking all the precautions such as power supply stability solutions, following precautions about USB midi and 5 pin midi working in the same setup, learning where the screen freeze bugs are likely to pop up(i stay out of quick layer feature after an insidious bug started there for me).

Defective products happen even with the most relaible products made.
A brand new one under a year warranty or extended, is the best you can do, and simply have it replaced every time until you get one that works right.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky wrote:
CharlesFerraro:

Let me be clear about this: I don't think it'll ever freeze on you unless you're doing what I'm doing, which is always interfacing with the computer and testing every tiny odd function of the editor librarian and KK softwares which themselves are running alongside or virtually patched into my DAW. All of my freezes were from user error (MIDI loop back or reproduceable bugs). The Kronos on it's own is rock solid thanks to Linux. My shortlist is literally every circumstance where I've personally experienced something that has gone awry and even then I can list way more things that've gone wrong with my PC that I've had for less than a year. Think of it like this, how many times did the Oasys OS freeze on you? The Kronos is running a nearly identical operating system and will be just as reliable. As for the hardware, you're much better off with the Kronos's solid state drive than you were with the Oasys' spinning disk drive.

19naia wrote:
I have no clue where to go to escape instability risks, and still have the same utility plus sound quality.

This is a great point. You're just as likely to run into instability issues with any other board. Probably moreso since it takes sooo long to iron out software bugs.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
The Kronos on it's own is rock solid thanks to Linux.

Not so solid ... My Kronos 2 had one freeze (standalone mode) in SEQ when I pressed HELP button by mistake.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NETWORK1 wrote:
Hi There
If i were you , id wait for the NEW Kronos Replacement.

That would be great advice if we knew IF or WHEN a replacement for the Kronos 2 is coming out. If a used OASYS can be found for a reasonable price (which isn’t easy because OASYS owners have an inflated view of its worth), then that might be the best choice.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post

Last edited by ITguy54 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Not so solid ... My Kronos 2 had one freeze (standalone mode) in SEQ when I pressed HELP button by mistake.

Well I'm sorry that happened to you. Just tried it myself and it doesn't seem to be a reproduceable bug. Doesn't make the Kronos any more or less faulty than any other board.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Well I'm sorry that happened to you. Just tried it myself and it doesn't seem to be a reproduceable bug. Doesn't make the Kronos any more or less faulty than any other board.

I've been switching between GLOBAL, PROGRAM and SEQ to make changes.
I can't recall exact steps, however Kronos crashed when I've pressed HELP instead SEQ to return.
Actually I was not upset, due to one fact - no device(keyboard, computer...) is Rock Solid as long as runs Operating System.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, despite the few downsides I've mentionned, I would recommend the Kronos, without the slightest hesitation.

Last edited by Liviou2004 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
leonh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Kronos 2 for about a year now on ups from day one no problems so far about freezing I had Montage 6 for a month and it froze once no idea why .Waiting for new Kronos even if that thing happen it will have their own problems due to the new OS etc so to make it simple there is no choice really Kronos is the answer.
pno15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Kronos 2 for about 1.5 year.

0 problem for me.

Wink

https://kronosflyby.myweb2be.com/indexcombi.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: