Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS REPLACEMENT BLUES?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: KRONOS REPLACEMENT BLUES? Reply with quote

Knowing this subject has been discussed and dissected, I wanted to share how I avoid the "no Kronos replacement" blues often happening between December and the NAMM Show. While it seems extremely unlikely that a replacement would be ready for the show, it is still possible for Korg to announce something.

So while I don't expect it to happen (this year), I can now come to this forum every day with this in mind and the anticipation of what the first information leaked and/or announced would be. It will eventually come to pass, as Korg recognizes that innovation and market timing are the keys to it's success and that the Kronos is old enough. Remember what happened after the Kronos was announced?
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS REPLACEMENT BLUES? Reply with quote

JPROBERTLA wrote:
Knowing this subject has been discussed and dissected, I wanted to share how I avoid the "no Kronos replacement" blues often happening between December and the NAMM Show. While it seems extremely unlikely that a replacement would be ready for the show, it is still possible for Korg to announce something.

So while I don't expect it to happen (this year), I can now come to this forum every day with this in mind and the anticipation of what the first information leaked and/or announced would be. It will eventually come to pass, as Korg recognizes that innovation and market timing are the keys to it's success and that the Kronos is old enough. Remember what happened after the Kronos was announced?

Yes, the " Kronos replacement " speculation happens every year at this time, a 'buildup ' of sorts to NAMM

And every 2-3 weeks this year we have engaged in similar speculation exercises.

And seriously , these co's have drifted from the NAMM new product splash herd.
New keyboard ( and related] products get announced independent of NAMM.

I am skeptical of authoritative Internet 'leaks '. Guesswork and Internet so on merge into their own reality.

I suggest you call the dealer you do business with. That dealer 'should ' be more knowledgeable {vs me] since the dealer has much $ invested with inventory.
And they might say something to you on the down low- so you can plan better.

Korg is good at taking care of their retail dealers. IMO
media-igor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS REPLACEMENT BLUES? Reply with quote

I think the developer KARMA (Stephen Kay) knows for sure whether there will be a new workstation in 2019 or not!
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 years old for the Kronos is largely enough. Stop ! Please Korg the follow up ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
stevewahl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS REPLACEMENT BLUES? Reply with quote

media-igor wrote:
I think the developer KARMA (Stephen Kay) knows for sure whether there will be a new workstation in 2019 or not!

That doesn't matter. Because if he knew anything, he wouldn't be allowed to share, because anything he knows that we don't would be subject to a Non-Disclosure Agreement that would probably seriously damage his finances and his reputation among synth makers if he leaked something.

Stephen Kay is running an independent company and knows what side his bread is buttered on. He'd be the last person I'd expect to share something he's not supposed to, because his relationships with synth manufacturers, both present and future, would flush down the proverbial toilet if he spilled the beans. So I never understand the speculation that he knows in threads like this. It can only serve to taunt a guy we know and like.

Isn't this obvious to everyone else?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS REPLACEMENT BLUES? Reply with quote

media-igor wrote:

Last I recalled, Stephen and Korg have been finite on development since 2011.

for example, while the Kronos OS got functional updates, Karma did not.

He might still be on a NDA.

Its always great to see Stephen post here
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting myself in Korg's shoes I would be asking what exactly to offer as a "REPLACEMENT".
REPLACEMENT being that Kronos is no longer a product option....

So, does Korg truly "REPLACE" Kronos which means the new model has to be one of 2 things:-
1. Completely new OS/design - a NEW keyboard i.e. a real product replacement
2. Same design with new add-on features (Kronos 3)

I guess Korg could/may go half way between 1 & 2

Then the market will react in different ways which is one big risk
Some will want NEW, some will want to protect their Kronos 1/X/2 investment

Customers' views on value for money and the wealth of the marketplace is critical too.

Korg can't afford to lose their position - have a look at the PA3X to PA4X reactions
Still complaints about the new design of the PA4X and that features have been changed or exchanged.

How does Korg excite the market when it already has the Kronos offerings?

It will be fascinating to see what happens if there is ever a true replacement.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me if we see some sort of Performance orientated "Lite" Kronos along the lines of the Yamaha MODX a middle of the road compromise product,after all I think the Kronos sales have easily peaked by now in its years of production and I doubt very much they will update the OS any longer.

To me there is a gap in the market for such a device,the MODX proved that,a Kronos lite would bridge the gap between an actual performance live instrument with all the Kronos sound engines but without all the full package of a workstation.

Sure Korg have the Grandstage but that is more of a niche players playback preset instrument more than a performance Synthesizer for the common player/studio hobbyist,something that is more portable and sounds great and is affordable would do well if it was based on all the Kronos engines but marketed mainly as performance tool.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if we see some sort of Performance orientated "Lite" Kronos along the lines of the Yamaha MODX a middle of the road compromise product,after all I think the Kronos sales have easily peaked by now in its years of production.

To me there is a gap in the market for such a device,which would bridge the gap between an actual performance live instrument with all the Kronos sound engines but without all the full implementation of a workstation,sure Korg have the Grandstage but that is more of a niche players instrument more than a performance Synthesizer for the common player/studio hobbyist,something thats more portable sounds great and is affordable.

I think personally the MODX is nothing but a replacement for the MOFX honestly somewhat like Kronos and Krome . I just look at all the late night shows and see nothing but Kronos used and not a Montage but that is all subjective depends on your need as player. JMO!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
7 years old for the Kronos is largely enough. Stop ! Please Korg the follow up ! Very Happy

I agree !

the president of Korg should get right on that [for the 1000th time]

But who will tell him ? Very Happy
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
7 years old for the Kronos is largely enough. Stop ! Please Korg the follow up !

Korg Kronos 2 was announced in November 2014,that makes 4(5) years.
There would be no need for replacement, if Kronos had adequate CPU, the current one is a JOKE! Perhaps a sign of dramatic cost cuts. If it's a fact I wouldn't expect anything better in 10 yrs to come.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho ! I like my Kronos far more than any other keyboard, Workstation or synth that I have had over the years. But the Kronos was already a kind of an Oasys+. So more than 7 years ! Suffice also to have a look at the Kronos sequencer interface which is also a "plaisanterie" ! But I must admit that I love this sequencer so much, simply because I can work much faster than on a DAW sequencer. May I add also that the Kronos and Sequoia Magix Sequencer are the best friends in the world ! Linked so fine fine. Very intuitive : I push play on the Kronos and Sequoia start recording. All can be possible. So I can wait for years before the successor of the Kronos.
I hope also that there will a perfect compatibility with the Kronos and its follow-up. Time will tell ! Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
kronoSphere wrote:

I agree !

Sweetwater has been offering incentives on buying a Kronos for a few months now. They have been trying different things like a free Minilogue or a free stand. If the Kronos was selling well, would they do that?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
GregC wrote:
kronoSphere wrote:

I agree !

Sweetwater has been offering incentives on buying a Kronos for a few months now. They have been trying different things like a free Minilogue or a free stand. If the Kronos was selling well, would they do that?

Thats a Korg USA promo. A low cost thing. The US disti likely has bunches of those they would like to move along. SW is a partner to the promo. Likely other US retailers that are Korg authorized.

Yamaha gave free speakers with a Montage 1 year ago.

So these product tie ins are not unusual.

If you look at eBay, there are 80-90 new mini logs offered. Mostly from Japan and other dealers.

IOW, the market place has a v.large new supply. That might be the motivation for a Korg USA to give it away.

I have maintained for over 1 year, that it would be nice if Korg dropped the K2 price, lets say $500. This assumes there is fair amount of K2 inventory in the retail channel.

And calling a few main dealers will give you or anyone as sense if supply is good or tight.

at this rate, if anyone buys a K2, they could insist on price protection over the next 60 days from the dealer. I think thats fair. And it would settle folks that are ' hedging ' on the high price.

Does that help you ?
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:

and yet if a new one does get released, there will be plenty on here bitching that Korg has abandoned them, like somehow their existing Kronos stopped working or something. The exact thing happened when the Kronos X and Kronos 2 was released.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: