Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Volca releases at 2019 NAMM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah:wasn't aware the tube would be compatible with others. (have some old Mullard 12AX7 and ECC83s... )
am just not after another 303 type at this point, and the Modular seems comparatively exotic.

you know, the tb-style programming is not fiddly at all:
you bash in the pitches, then step through in Time mode with notes, ties, and rests.
then you've got accent, slide, octaves, and you get a simple way to try different timings and feel over the
same series of notes. it's very quick. it seems to be the best way to get authentic TB sequences,

if you can't get a mk1 bassbot (or mkII), maybe do try the tb-03. it certainly is a unique approach to
step entry, and getting surprise results. i didn't find the x0xb0x sequencer delivered the same results
at all (or else with some effort, didn't come naturally).

as with any of these things, i don't really form an opinion until i've tested.

btw, did you see the mockup of Poly800mkII-as-volca allegedly posted?
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in here because I got to try out a nubass at a recent Korg event showcasing all the new Volcas. (Also worth mentioning that I have/had all the Volcas except the Kick).

To be honest, the tube has a lot of grit but it's really only a slightly more distorted version of the V Bass. Also let me add I use the Bass EXTENSIVELY- it's pretty much my go to synth for bass. That being said, the distortion and grit are nice enough that you don't need any external effects on it. It also has a faster workflow than the Bass, in terms of programming and playing sequences. And yes it's definitely aimed at Acid house/ Bass duties. In fact, you can't even go as high as you can with the V Bass with pitch. It's like an alternate version of the Bass. Definitely missing the extra oscillators. If you don't own either Bass or Nubass, then check em out and decide what's right for you. If you have the Bass already, then you probably don't NEED the Nubass...but you may definitely WANT one. It's certainly very fun to play, very much in the spirit of the Volca Line.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, but completely different pricepoint.

Do you own one yrself? If so, absolutely agree with you, you don't need anything else!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:

Do you own one yrself? If so, absolutely agree with you, you don't need anything else!

Ignore him, he's not interested creating any constructive discussion.
Reading-up about the Devil Fish mod and I'm amazed that Robin is still is doing them and happy to know it's a way more advanced mod to the one that I read Ollie Olsen describing back in the early 90's. I'm also blown away at how much it is to get all the bells and whistles attached to the already $3000 dollar second hand synth. I guess the man's gotta make a dollar or two out of the effort and it is akin to restoring a Holden Kingswood to new while also swapping it over to a 4 speed auto transmission.

ShoNuff wrote:
btw, did you see the mockup of Poly800mkII-as-volca allegedly posted?

No I didn't. That would be interesting. I never really liked the Poly800 and passed on buying one some years ago after going to check it out. The seller was trying to get a few hundred more than it was worth based on it being an inverted-keys model which had a response that felt like it was sprung with rubberbands. But aside that I wasn't impressed with sound and felt it was a dullish version of the M1 and as I was already running my M1 through my MS-20, it really seemed like I'd be buying a lesser synth. Speaking of the M1, a Volca M1 would be like a super accurate recreation of the original if they were to put a two line 16 character screen on it with a slider, 8 function buttons and a numpad. I'd prefer an non-accurate recreation with a larger screen, a dial instead of a slider, dedicated sequencer transports and dials replacing the function buttons. They could even make it an M1/Poly800mkIII by adding a 24dB filter on the output stage the that can be disabled/engaged for that paraphonic analogue filtering that was essentially the big difference between the two (besides the PCM samples the M1 runs on). That way it'd be way more than just a recreation, it'd be a new iteration of two classic synths. Or maybe just a re-release of the DW8000 would be suffice Wink
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
roblabs wrote:

Reading-up about the Devil Fish mod and I'm amazed that Robin is still is doing them and happy to know it's a way more advanced mod to the one that I read Ollie Olsen describing back in the early 90's. I'm also blown away at how much it is to get all the bells and whistles attached to the already $3000 dollar second hand synth. I guess the man's gotta make a dollar or two out of the effort and it is akin to restoring a Holden Kingswood to new while also swapping it over to a 4 speed auto transmission.

Yeah, I did see that although the devil fish seems a fantastic mod, you first need to own a 303, and then send it in for $3000 or so for the mod. So...thousands of dollars vs 200...like I said, completely different price point.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or else get a bassbot modified. this was much cheaper, at the time. don't think this guy's doing them anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgnnhD0bGt8
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poly800: at hype prices, no, but as a cheapie, it's good for a certain
character, and done right, would be good as a volca - although going a bit
further, to DW6000/8000 (or PolySix).. Very Happy
it's all in that breakpoint/slopê envelope.

the M1? my only experience with it with coming across one with dead battery:
had a quick look at the structure, pushing buttons, found the interface really
uninviting and switched it off in under 3 mins, really disappointed. but my
neighbour had one back in ?94 and great sounds came from his place.
you can still get really cheap digital rack units from that period. always
worth poking around in one of those.

but this small format is compelling, and really useful. our trolling friend
mocks them, but what was the x0x series when it came out? the tb303 was
a 'walkstation' bassline composer, presumably for driving larger cv+gate synths.
that's where the first series of volcas falls down, and to some extent the
following ones: not enough memories, not enough steps, and no means of
switching patterns by remote. the 'serious' composition aspects included in
the Rolands are missing on the volcas.
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
megamarkd wrote:
roblabs wrote:

Yeah, I did see that although the devil fish seems a fantastic mod, you first need to own a 303, and then send it in for $3000 or so for the mod. So...thousands of dollars vs 200...like I said, completely different price point.

exactly. korg can kiss my ass.
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but what was the x0x series when it came out?

x0xb0x? I'm sorry but what? x0xboxes were great , I've done great and lots of amazing acid with them , what's your point anyways? You can get cheaper clones and they still sound great mate!
Look for a MAM MB33 and you'll be happy as f*ck

Quote:
the 'serious' composition aspects included in
the Rolands are missing on the volcas.

because you're all buying playmobil from korg.

You call it trolling , i call it being reasonable.

And Korg no I'm not looking for Volca shriveled in metal just in case you're reading this.
I'm not buying anything from you again!
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:

Yep! Cool
The money's not the problem , the problem is Korg relying in cheapshit and selling it for 200-300 pounds?! WHAT TA F... REALLY?
I wouldn't even give a bloody tenner for that s**t !
Remember the 303 was so cheap back then? Cool

But that just shows you how bad they are. Volcas. Really?
f*ck dat s**t!

Last edited by Travelinni on Sun May 26, 2019 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wot are you doing on a Korg site then? just thought you'd swing by and have a swipe?
rest of the internet not holding your interest?

'x0x': i meant roland numbered series: 303/202/101/606/626/ etc.
yeah i have a x0xb0x, original x0xshop, and the old mb33mkII.
you still can't beat the original TB-style sequencer. the x0xb0x doesn't have 'tie',
so you have to fake it, and then you get much better sequences than trying to
slide everything.(i find. my preferred acid lines)

'playmobil' was a term that occured to me previously: as in: kid the people
into wanting to buy all the items in a series. it's clever marketing, appeals to
a 'completist' mentality. i have to watch myself for that Very HappyD
i'd like them to take it as seriously as they can. the actual size is ok for me,
and they're actually quite robust, in that they don't have much weight inertia,
which worries me a bit on the boutiques, which seem more fragile.

i'm still standing up for the volcaFM, it's a wicked little machine and a good
way to have FM on the move. there are a couple of alternatives, but it's so
cheap 2nd hand i got another one. run that with (bassbot), pretty great.
the others, yeah i'm a bit meh about them, and i'm not going to lay down
money for new on the latest 2, the Modular and Drum. Kick.. i don't think
i need it, Sample is good for loading a few fat waveforms, but i think i'll pick
up an mpc500 as a 'real' sampling device.

i'm at the stage where i appreciate small devices. racks and stuff do my head
in a bit because i end up not setting them up, much as i appreciate what each
can do.
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

'playmobil' was a term that occured to me previously: as in: kid the people
into wanting to buy all the items in a series. it's clever marketing, appeals to
a 'completist' mentality. i have to watch myself for that Very HappyD

you should because that's what korg's doing.

Quote:
lol wot are you doing on a Korg site then? just thought you'd swing by and have a swipe? rest of the internet not holding your interest?

why not? i own korg's stuff so why not? Laughing

Quote:
'x0x': i meant roland numbered series: 303/202/101/606/626/ etc.
yeah i have a x0xb0x, original x0xshop, and the old mb33mkII.
you still can't beat the original TB-style sequencer. the x0xb0x doesn't have 'tie',
so you have to fake it, and then you get much better sequences than trying to
slide everything.(i find. my preferred acid lines)

that tie thing , what do you mean , tie patterns to each other play one next to another?
x0xb0x can do that. x0xb0x has a tb303 sequencer .
mate , really? one that knows the tb303 so well doesn't need one , if you know the instrument so well you can make acid in any sequencer and with anything really as long as you know it . f*ck i can make acid with anything!

Quote:
i'd like them to take it as seriously as they can. the actual size is ok for me,
and they're actually quite robust, in that they don't have much weight inertia,
which worries me a bit on the boutiques, which seem more fragile.

forget the boutiques mate , they're digital and that was also Roland's excuse to make more money and start suing everyone that made clones.

Quote:
i'm still standing up for the volcaFM, it's a wicked little machine and a good
way to have FM on the move. there are a couple of alternatives, but it's so
cheap 2nd hand i got another one. run that with (bassbot), pretty great.
the others, yeah i'm a bit meh about them, and i'm not going to lay down
money for new on the latest 2, the Modular and Drum. Kick.. i don't think
i need it, Sample is good for loading a few fat waveforms, but i think i'll pick
up an mpc500 as a 'real' sampling device.

Nice move.MPC500 is great. Even for slashing a couple of damn hiphop beats its great. The only problem is the small LCD screen , it's kinda like the electribe S you've to pinpoint the sample points by number and then slice them. If you're not into hiphop and stuff then for drums and stuff it's really great. Love the mpc line.
For FM stuff Yamaha is the boss.
For analogue or virtual analogue pff get a nord lead and there ya go , you got FM. But you're into the ''small'' stuff and i'm not into music toys.

Quote:
i'm at the stage where i appreciate small devices. racks and stuff do my head
in a bit because i end up not setting them up, much as i appreciate what each
can do.

We've different mindsets . Couldn't care less about their ''size''.
Korg had great sales with their monotribes or whatever da f*ck it was and since then they didn't stop. Korg's money focused and seems happier manufacturing bloody toys than satisfying their professional musicians , their needs and all the customers that have bought their stuff in the past and are still waiting for their equipment to be fixed.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what Korgs do you have then? old ones?

'tie': in Time mode on TB, it's the 2nd button, with white dot. 'sustain' if you like.
it isn't on the x0x sequencer. you have to input 2 identical pitches with a slide
on the 1st. as far as i remember, anyway.

how do you figure volcas are virtual analogue?
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how do you figure volcas are virtual analogue?

By the sound and size.

Analogue synths used lots of transistors and singular chips to add more polyphony and that's why they were very expensive back in the days.

These Korg synths are all virtual analogue and I don't care what Korg says they bloody know it and it's all a marketing employ so don't fall for it.

Even the Korg MS2000 is Virtual Analogue and so is the Microkorg which is totally rubbish btw.

The Korg Monopoly is Analogue and so is the Polysix.

For analogue synths there's a Moog Prodigy , Prophet 5 for example , Juno 60 , TB-303 and so on. Smile

Being VA it's a great thing , I just hate the fact Korg's lying.

Nord Lead 2 is VA and it's an amazing synth too.

VA synths use DSP chips in order to emulate all the transistors and so forth much like VSTi's are programmed to generate sound through mathematical equations.

Quote:
'tie': in Time mode on TB, it's the 2nd button, with white dot. 'sustain' if you like.

yes , you can do same on x0xb0x and I had two , one stock one and a Beast one Wink http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=19

Quote:

it isn't on the x0x sequencer. you have to input 2 identical pitches with a slide
on the 1st. as far as i remember, anyway.

it's the button that triggers a blank note so the previous note holds up. Look up for x0xb0x firmware you might have to update it because I had two and could do everything a 303 could do. Smile

you might have to take a look at this :
http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/n0nx0x2.html

just had another look at it , just press REST. Wink

and remember the 303 can't sustain notes , is you want long notes set decay to max. Wink have fun.

Quote:
what Korgs do you have then? old ones?

MS2000 & Korg Electribe M.

Last edited by Travelinni on Sun May 26, 2019 7:37 pm; edited 6 times in total
Travelinni

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post.
This forum is bloody slow sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: