Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EK-50 or PA700? (Newbie alert!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I looked at the product offerings from Yamaha as well before getting the PA700 and I ended up choosing the Korg over everything else.

The Yamaha units do sound better out of the box than the PA700 does because I believe that they artificially inflate the sound of the Yamaha already from the get go.

The Korg sounds thin at first out of the box because I feel that Korg has tried to maintain the organic sound of the instruments because they sound more real out of the box. It is easier to add to a soud than take away from it...

The first thing I did with my PA700, based on my experience with the M50 and other Korg products I own, was adjust the Master EQ with a bit of high end boost. I also added more Reverb to everything. The PA700 came to life! It is bigger, fuller, and sounds better than other units in the same price range and even some that are higher priced.

The ability to customize the PA700 is another thing that drew me to it. I can change just about anything on it.

Yamaha keyboards are great too. Their piano sounds are second to none (I use a Yamaha C5 piano sample as my main piano sound on the PA700).

I also feel that Yamaha units are a bit overpriced because they have this sense about them that they think warrants the price difference. They've been making pianos for 125 years and have a much longer history than Korg does in making instruments. I am not sure that the price is really warranted though, although it is hard to argue with the power of a Tyros/Genos and their synth offerings.

I feel as though Korg just has more to offer, especially in the PA700.

I like the PA700 for much the same reasons I like Kawai...

Kawai has AWESOME digital piano offerings. They are a smaller company and so they try a bit harder when it comes to what they are good at. I have a Lowrey EZP3 for my main 88-key unit in my studio. Lowrey has been owned by Kawai for many years and so the sound engine in the Lowrey is actually a Kawai (even the foot pedal that came with it is labeled as a Kawai). No one argues about the key action on a Kawai because it is that good (especially on the MP11SE - it has wooden keys). Kawai tries harder.

I believe that in the arena of arrangers, Korg tries harder than Yamaha and Roland and it shows.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it may be worth considering a used Pa700. I've had two used Korgs. a Pa1xPro and my current Pa3x. Never any problem with either of them, and I'm gigging 4 days a week. Lucky? Maybe, but if you can get to give one a thorough going over you can save yourself a lot of money. Good luck.
rolo95

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
To be fair, I looked at the product offerings from
I feel as though Korg just has more to offer, especially in the PA700.

Seriously ??
How you can compare a 400 keyboard vs an 1300 keyboard

btw Yamaha DXG660 kick the s.. out of the PA700
top to none 88 keys weighted keys, gorgeous sampled piano sounds
and it cost 799

you need to compare apples to apples
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the DGX660 to the PA700 is also unfair. It is not apples and apples either.

The 660 does not have the features that the PA700 has.

The PA700 does not have the great piano natively that the 660 has.

The 660 does not have the sequencer or extended MIDI functionality that the PA700 has.

The PA700 does not have 196 note polyphony like the 660 has (the PA700 has 128 note polyphony).

The PA700 is infinitely customizable, the 660 is not.

The DGX660 has a great 88-key keybed, the 700 does not.

The sound system on the PA700 blows away the DGX660.

The DGX600 has no direct competition from Korg, unless you want to include the Havian 30 (it is not made anymore though).

I would also venture to guess that the new PSR-S670 has a few more features that the DGX660 does not have.

We cannot compare the DGX660 to the PA700 because they are not in the same category for the users. The demographic is completely different between the two.

I would love to see Korg come out with another 88-key version but I doubt they will because there is not a lot of demand for an 88-key arranger (even though I would love one).

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
rolo95

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
Comparing the DGX660 to the PA700 is also unfair. It is not apples and apples either.

Indeed

wondering why you compared the EK50 vs PA700
nothing to do with each other
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I did not compare the EK to the PA700 in terms of features to feature, per se. I was comparing it as an emergency backup keyboard if I needed to send the PA700 in for repairs. The EK was NOT going to be my main keyboard.

Minimally, I would not use the EK because I have a lot of legacy MIDI gear that has the 5-pin MIDI connection and I do not use a computer for interfacing anything musical. I am not a beginner and so my needs are much more than someone getting the keyboard to learn on or use in a more contemporary manner...

The EK-50 would be more suited when comparing to the Casio CT-X offerings and the Yamaha PSR-E series (namely the E-463 and the EW-410). Why it would be compared to any Korg PA series is a bit of a stretch anyway, especially if one is looking for a main keyboard that has any of the features of the PA series. Even the PA1X has superior features to the EK (maybe minus the piano sounds).

The EK-50 is a fantastic keyboard for the price, and if compared to the comparable offerings in the similar price range, blows away the competition.

It seems as though you may be trying to start an argument, and it is not one that I wish to continue posting on. My posts were very clear that I was looking at it for a backup keyboard and I was responding to the OPs post of an EK-50 or a PA700...but I digress...

Grace,
Harry
Backpool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a PA1000 and now have a Genos. as my main board, with the EK as a spare.

I think as you say it depends on your 'needs'

In my case -

I simply bought the EK50 for travel, ( as this is the very time I have spare to practice ) its under a metre long and lightweight, which was the King Pin+ cheap as chips, so not that important if it gets knocked around, .
I know its never going to be a PA. but I have to say, if you just want a cheap 'practice' board, then this is ideal.

I have found some hidden gems on it and am glad a board is for sale now at a low price to hopefully encourage more people to test the water with keyboard playing.

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG EK Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: