Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oriental Keyboard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelican4 wrote:
Are you implying that I could export a track from the PA4X, edit it on the computer if I felt the need, and import it back to the keyboard?

Yes. You can record on MIDI and export to your liking DAW for editing.

I can share briefly my experiences with Pa4X after 3 years of using in live performance every week.
It is a very versatile arranger keyboard with powerful Style editing and very practical features for live performances and
very good quality keybed (for an arranger key) and Tactile display of Pa4X for avoiding light's reflection on the stage.
Software speaking we will have a new version of OS called "NEXT", in February of this year, with new features and
increased User PCM RAM Memory up to 1.5 GB, (compressed equivalent to 3 GB linear data).

What I didn't like and hope an improvement for the next Pa series by Korg:
Bad quality of the buttons like Intros, Variations, Break and Ends buttons.
So far I spent about $200 for replacing the Variations buttons and soon I have to spend other extra $$ for replacing again the Exit, Fills and Break buttons.
Other problem for me personally is the bad quality of MP3 recording comparing to my previous Pa1X witch was excellent in MP3 recording.
Personally I was not lucky in this area but it's possible to do MIDI recording/sequencing and export it and finishing in a DAW.
Pelican4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's disappointing about the buttons.

I wonder if an update will help the MP3 recording.

I suppose some people do everything with software but that sounds difficult if I was playing live. It sounds useful to export tracks into a DAW and then import them back into the Korg for performance.
Nord Modular G2X
Ensoniq SQ2
Roland RD-2000
Pelican4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Rom use Reply with quote

Vangelismusic wrote:
The PA4X has Oriental sounds that are permanent in ROM so you still have the same memory as a standard PA4x, if you are not into Oriental music you do not need to spend the extra money which is over 1000 bucks extra, now with the new free upgrade that Korg will have available soon,you will get a lot of memory to expand it to include many sets because it will be from 800 megabytes to 3 gigabytes.
You can load many sets into the keyboard but it's not as simple as just drag and drop like windows it is a more elaborate to execute.

[/quote]
Nord Modular G2X
Ensoniq SQ2
Roland RD-2000
Pelican4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
ROM is "Read Only Memory" and hence in theory cannot be used like RAM (Random Access Memory).

The ROMs will be erasable so Korg can "update" the fixed multisample sounds but we cannot change them.

All SOUNDs are purely sound configurations which use one or more multisamples (from ROM or from actual user-loaded samples in RAM).

Pete Very Happy

Nord Modular G2X
Ensoniq SQ2
Roland RD-2000
Pelican4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Rom use Reply with quote

The Oriental sounds are stored on the ROM which, on the Standard version, is empty.

If the extra money is not a factor, is there an advantage to having the ROM empty in the Standard PA4x, i.e., is the ROM used in the Standard PA4x for other functions? Would these functions be limited by being full of sounds as in the Oriental and Musikant? Is the ROM used for updating or will more functions be added in the future that will not be possible if the ROM is full?

Thank you.
Nord Modular G2X
Ensoniq SQ2
Roland RD-2000
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the formal addendum for ORIENTAL and MG versions of the PA4X
https://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download/files/cdf87b82a0138998b60680dfe77622b6.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3Bfilename%2A%3DUTF-8%27%27Pa4XORIENTAL_Addendum.pdf&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf%3B

Quote:
The Oriental sounds are stored on the ROM which, on the Standard version, is empty.

ROM is where the multisamples are held to use in a PA4X SOUND - what do you mean by "empty? or are you referring to the PA4X SOUND banks?
RAM is where you can load your own sound samples and configure them as multisample to use in a PA4X SOUND.

If you want lots of "oriental" sounds and styles and that is going to be significant to your needs, then get the Oriental version - bear in mind that there are already many Oriental sounds and styles on the International model.

This is an interesting video - both keyboards do not have the "Oriental" logo - so are they International models???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXkpSIoA4cc

Here's a comparison video:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYW36X05R9Q&index=6&list=RDQMf4hLHqMY-Rs

Good luck with your decisions.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Pelican4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. They are good demonstrations that make me want to get the Oriental version. I don't know how buttons could be improved for the constance

I'm not sure if the quality of the MP3 recording is important or if the ability to record WAV is necessary but they would be good. Is WAV recording something expensive to add?

Is the PA4x designed for recording full songs as one of its main functions or is this an extra? I think of it as normally for live use.
Nord Modular G2X
Ensoniq SQ2
Roland RD-2000
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the MP3 recording feature has always been a "bonus" (although very useful to have)
If one wants to audio record seriously, then MP3 is not the best way to go - WAV is of course far better quality.

You can easily record WAV by simply using an audio interface to your computer with free software like Audacity
The interfaces are well under $100.

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Pelican4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I thought.

I don't know why it would be important to record WAV with the keyboard as DAW is usually the end process anyway.

I have to ask now.

I was going to wait until buttons on the PA4X have improved and maybe for other upgrades.

As I'm trying to save money, other smaller things are coming up for sale.

How is the Arranging ability of the PA4X when live? Kurzweil has the Arranging Mode where it is possible to choose pre-arranged parts to use within the performance at any time. With an Arranger Keyboard, I expect I can do this more easily than with other keyboards. I would like to know how many sections you can make within a song that can be selected at any time.

I was looking for a keyboard with good sequencer and Yamaha MOXF comes at a very low cost this week. It also has a lot of arpeggiators which I like.

I imagine the sounds on the Yamaha, being 5 years older, are not as good as Korg so that is not a question. Korg will also have more variety. How flexible do people find the sequencer on the PA4X?

I'm feeling very close to getting it but am wanting to understand if I can do most of the arranging with the keyboards I already have. The PA4X keybed amazes me so I'm leaning towards it but the cost is about $2000 more than I think it should be.
Nord Modular G2X
Ensoniq SQ2
Roland RD-2000
Pelican4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vangelismusic wrote:
The PA4X has Oriental sounds that are permanent in ROM so you still have the same memory as a standard PA4x, if you are not into Oriental music you do not need to spend the extra money which is over 1000 bucks extra, now with the new free upgrade that Korg will have available soon,you will get a lot of memory to expand it to include many sets because it will be from 800 megabytes to 3 gigabytes.
You can load many sets into the keyboard but it's not as simple as just drag and drop like windows it is a more elaborate to execute.

Hi.

Suppose I can get the Oriental version for the same price as the Standard version: I do like the Oriental sounds but from looking through the list, I will only use a tenth of them. I am assuming that future upgrades will allow certain similar sets of sounds to be added into the memory, meaning I could choose the particular sounds. As you say, not simple but possible.

Is there any advantage of having the Standard version which has the memory free instead of having the memory full with the Oriental sounds of the PA4x Oriental version?

Thank you.
Nord Modular G2X
Ensoniq SQ2
Roland RD-2000
Pelican4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I could get the Oriental but they say Korg aren’t making them anymore and so I can’t order one for the sale that is happening here.

Are all the same scale making capabilities available in the Standard version?
Nord Modular G2X
Ensoniq SQ2
Roland RD-2000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: